Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
duda

Why Subtitles don't use video length for identification?

Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:26 pm

For me it was very much work to find the correct subtitle for my movie. And i dont understand why subtitles doesnt include the movie length of the movie from which it was exported.
I beleave this information would really helps to find the correct subtitle of the movie.
Only a flag at the last second of the movie would be enough.

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Re: Why Subtitles don't use video length for identification?

Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:31 am

Length is not the thing that matters, or at least it's a bit vague and not very handy to use. After all, you only know the exact length of a video after you have downloaded it. But I understand your issue, because not every video version is the same, so not every subtitle fits to every video file. However, if the uploader did a good job, the matching video file is stated as release name.

For example:
https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/subtit ... oonfall-nl
These subtitles will match
Moonfall.2022.1080p.Bluray.Atmos.TrueHD.7.1.x264-EVO
but also
Moonfall.2022.BRRip.XviD.AC3-EVO
Moonfall.2022.BRRip.x264-ION10
Moonfall.2022.1080p.WEB-DL.DDP5.1-EVO
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

duda

Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:10 pm

@SmallBrother but how to know the movie version by name? does it have the full intro, is it the directors cut,.... There could be so many variants. But the movie length would really helps. in most of 99% this will give you a hint which subtitle might match.

and,... this could be really easy automated.
Last edited by SmallBrother on Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: merged two posts

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:51 pm

@SmallBrother but how to know the movie version by name? does it have the full intro, is it the directors cut,.... There could be so many variants. But the movie length would really helps. in most of 99% this will give you a hint which subtitle might match.
I am not sure if I understand you well, but why would you want to know which version it actually is? The crucial thing that matters, is if the movie version and subtitle are matching, right? In other words, in my example, if I have a video file named "Moonfall.2022.1080p.Bluray.Atmos.TrueHD.7.1.x264-EVO" I will know that https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/subtit ... oonfall-nl is matching.
and,... this could be really easy automated.
You mean adding that video file name inside the subtitle file? Yes, it could be automated, but I think this is not a good idea. Think about it, when someone makes a resync, most probably it will be forgotten to remove this version information. Then you will have wrong or at least confusing info instead of missing info. Besides, once again, if the uploader did a good job, the subtitle file name will be the same as the matching video.
In my example:
Video file name: Moonfall.2022.1080p.Bluray.Atmos.TrueHD.7.1.x264-EVO.mkv
Subtitle file name: Moonfall.2022.1080p.Bluray.Atmos.TrueHD.7.1.x264-EVO.srt

And by the way, in a way things ARE already automated. Provided the subtitle has a hashcode linked to it (once again, this will be the case if the uploader did a good job), the system will automatically find the matching subtitle - of course only IF it's available.
You can also drag the video file into the search field. If a matching subtitle is available, it will show this as result.
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

duda

Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:35 pm

but it only matches if video and subtitle was from the same source, right?
If someone convert same movie to h265 i coundt take "Moonfall.2022.1080p.Bluray.Atmos.TrueHD.7.1.x264-EVO" subtitle. Also if someone tooks a different audio track. So from my perspective the name for subtitle doesnt make any sense.

it woudnt match by name. But would match by length.
You mean adding that video file name inside the subtitle file?
No. I meand adding the video length of the source video to the subtitle. Maybe as a meta attribute or by adding a timeflag at the last second.

Return to “Off-topic talk”