Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
owla
Subtitles Admin

Russian vs. Ukraine

Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:54 pm

I don’t like politicking, but this would be something else. Could the Russian section now be closed temporarily? There's strong censorship, so would notice the situation. I would ask for opinions and at least consider the means of showing support for Ukraine.

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Re: Russian vs. Ukraine

Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:37 pm

I don’t like politicking, but this would be something else. Could the Russian section now be closed temporarily? There's strong censorship, so would notice the situation. I would ask for opinions and at least consider the means of showing support for Ukraine.

In general, politics is not a good idea on a subtitle site. But I think maybe the current situation justifies an exception.

To be honest, I had a similar thought, primarily to show some support for the millions of totally innocent Ukrainian people who are suffering in an incredible way.

But there is another side. Closing the Russian section of OpenSubtitles would hit innocent people, too. The average Russian is not to blame for what is happening in Ukraine. They are people, just like you and me, who want to live in peace and watch a movie or tv show with subtitles sometimes. Russian people are already suffering a lot, in many different ways. Taking their subtitles away as well wouldn't be right.

And yes, I think many Russians don't even know what is really going on, due to the strong censorship. In that sense, the Russian people need help, too.

So we should not be thinking in terms of "VERSUS Russians", but rather "WITH Russians". We should be thinking how we could 1. SUPPORT the Ukrainian people, 2. NOT HURT innocent Russian people and 3. actually DO something which could have some positive effect.

Maybe OpenSubtitles could add some statement on every page in the Russian and Ukrainian section, declaring support to the Ukrainian people and ask the Russian people to refer to independent media instead of state controlled media for their information.

Please note that, although I am an admin on OpenSubtitles, I am NOT speaking on behalf of OpenSubtitles. I am not in charge of making such decisions or implementing them. I am only venting my own personal thoughts.
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

owla
Subtitles Admin

Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:55 pm

Thanks for the reply. Mercifully, we are not alone with our thoughts. My own relatives living within sight of the Russian border, so I am extra concerned.

Hopefully the site staff would even consider using at least a flag on the site or something like many other sites have done. My own understanding is that change must come from Russia people, but without knowledge of reality, it is difficult.

NemoTheFish

Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:36 am

Hello, Opensubtitles.

This is what I have to say.

First of all, Russain users contributed no less than Ukrainians or other non-english speakers. We supported this website for years by providing Russian subtitles, sharing links, so people could visit it, download and see your adds.

Second... It's not about Putin. He, as well as Zelensky, Macron, Merkel, Biden - they are all just puppets. Presidents do not decide such important things as starting wars. Global elite do. If you're looking for someone to blame, blame Rockefeller and Rotschild families, British royals, Klaus Schwab and Bill Gates. Those are responsible for the pandemic. Now, as the second stage of their plan, they are willing to start a global war. One way or another, all countries will suffer because of it. But global elite won't, because they don't belong to any particular country. They dream about world government and total control of the planet population via AI and nanotechnology. They have already organized Desease. Now it's time for War, Famine and Death. All to reduce population and be in control of relatively small amount of survivals, just like in Hollywood (Illuminati) movies Edge of Tomorrow, Hunger Games, Altered Carbon, Orwell's 1984 novel etc.

If you consider your media more trustworthy than ours - you're being delusional. All news that come from mass media is nothing but manipulation and half-truth. You are no better informed than most of us. You may bring whatever sanctions you want, but it won't make Russians start a revolution against Putin. No matter what sanctions applied, we're not ruining our lives by going to jail in attempt to change one puppet for another, risking of starting civil war and NATO intervention. We learned our lesson in 1991 and not going to be victims of "divide and conquer" tactic again.

owla, you seem to be a troll, a provoker on the payroll. You don't care about Ukraine at all. You're one of those who will say and post anything for the sake of "new normal". People like you been supporting lockdowns and agitated others to wear masks during past two years. Nice try tho.

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:18 pm

I agree with the first sentence of your first paragraph. As I said, we should think in terms of Ukrainians *WITH* Russians.

Further, I think things are slightly off-topic.

The last paragraph is not acceptable. Making things personal, with ungrounded accusations and assumptions, makes any exchange of ideas and opinions unpleasant and any reasonable discussion impossible.

This topic is getting out of hand. For sake of non-censorship I have approved your post, but for sake of peace I have now locked this topic.

Let's get back to subtitles.
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

Return to “Off-topic talk”