Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
Hanzee

"Sub is being worked on" section...

Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:51 pm

Hello Subbers...

Maybe a very stupid question, but is there a way on OS to show a member is working on a sub in a desired language?

I mean, it feels like a race to be the first now and that is killing the fun out of it...
By example, i started a lot subs, only to find out a collegue was ahead of me, uploaded and i had to stop my work...

Offcourse i do respect everybody a lot, but it is senseless i think when several people work on the same sub.

Maybe this question was put here before, but i didn't find it...

Making subs manually and following the rules is a lot of work and takes a lot of time.
Adding the pressure to it of being the first is no fun and demotivating i think.

When subbers see who is working on what sub and expected time to finish, you can respect that and don't start also...

I said allready earlier, it is mayby a stupid question, but at least i am honest about the frustration of loosing workeffort and much time!

Sincerally,

Hanzee

fijnproever

Re: "Sub is being worked on" section...

Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:01 pm

Is eigenlijk niet nodig. Je kan altijd de jouwe afmaken en men de keuze gunnen of je ondertiteling voor een andere source maken. Zo onderscheid je toch je ondertitels.

[Edit SmallBrother, translation added]
Thanks for your reply, Fijnproever.
But would you download more than one subtitle, and check which one is best to use?
I don't think that's a realistic thought.

Hanzee

Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:10 pm

Dank voor je reactie, Fijnproever.

Maar ga jij meer subs downloaden, kijken welke de beste is en dan die gebruiken?
Denk niet dat dat een realistisch gegeven is Fijnproever...

Greets

[Edit SmallBrother, translation added]
Thanks for your reply, Fijnproever.
But would you download more than one subtitle, and check which one is best to use?
I don't think that's a realistic thought.

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:31 pm

Admin remark:
Please keep the English section in English, although we know from each other we are Dutch.
I have edited your messages with a translation.

On-topic:
An additional section "Work in progress" could be an idea, for the new site. For now, well, for the past two years ;-) we have created a dedicated topic on the forum. Other language sections could do the same. Unfortunately, not a lot of users are using it. We can only guess about the reasons, but I think:
- The topic is unseen. Many users do not know about the forum in general or this topic in specific. And this goes for writers as well as readers.
- It's too much trouble. Creating a forum account, writing a post and maybe creating expectations with others and pressure for yourself.
- It could work counterproductive. Not everybody is into working together. Some on the contrary, they feel rivalry and competition, so they don't WANT to post what they are working on, afraid of their rivals working against them. On top of this, this 'hurry' could lead to worse subtitles.

As for your 'frustration': I would not dump work that's done for let's say 80%, because someone else is first. I would work on better quality, or just my own translation and upload it anyway, either synced for the same release, or an other sync, or both. Not uploading, then FOR SURE your work is lost.
That's what I am doing. If there is more than one subtitle, I find out which one is best.
But yes, others pick the one with most downloads (which is often the worst choice) or just the subtitle matching the video file they have.
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

oss
Site Admin

Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:59 am

yeah that would be idea for new site. opensubtitles.com is growing everyday with new features.

Return to “Off-topic talk”