Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
Encrtia

La Bande du Drugstore

Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:45 am

Heya,

I was browsing the internet with my recent partner who shared this really sweet custom-made music video to an old French film (titled). Have a look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36B8t2J5PB0

Sadly, not being an affluent French speaker, I've found my way here! (Go figure!) I understand requesting subtitles here is heavily frowned upon, so I've duly submitted it as per the correct method... I was only asking here if anyone has actually watched this film in all its glory? (Being able to understand it all) What're people's opinions on it? More specifically, does the (at least, from our perspective) very cool/interesting vibe from the video I linked also exist within the film?

~Tia. :)

vankasteelj

Re: La Bande du Drugstore

Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:41 am

Well, it's apparently a recent movie. 2002. It's not in Black and White, and it probably doesn't feature the song you linked, as it's about the riots of 1968 in France.

It got only 6.4/10 by the press, and 5.5/10 by the public (based on Allocine metacritics for press and SensCritique for people's review).

It's been adapted in a book by the movie director, and that book hasn't really good critics.

Here's what Alligator (some dude...) had to say about the movie:
Le scénario est si improbable, l'image est trop léchée pour être vraie et va à l'encontre de ce qui est suggéré par les dialogues, les poses des comédiens, etc. Oui, la mise en scène m'a gêné.
Par contre, j'ai indéniablement été intrigué par le montage et le rythme contre-nature ainsi que par quelques plans assez beaux. J'ai finalement regardé avec intérêt un film que je n'aimais pas, avec des comédiens moyens voire nuls (sauf Cécile Cassel qui s'en tire bien). Le propos est médiocrement faux.
The story is not believable, the photography is too detailed and neat to be true and goes at the exact opposite of what the dialogs suggest, the acting, etc. Yes, the direction bothered me.
On the other hand, I was greatly intrigued by the montage and the unnatural rythm, and by some beautiful scenes. In the end, I watched with interest a movie I did not like, with bad actors, some totally garbage (except Cecile Cassel who's alright). The subject is plain wrong.

Encrtia

Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:52 am

Yes - I happen to have the original disc, so could notice that it hadn't the same music, nor was it in Black & White. Had no idea it was about riots though... but that does make sense. I thought it had something to do with ... pseudo-gang related.

I reckon it's a good thing I can't understand the language then - if I did, I'd probably have a similar view as the public/press/Alligator(some dude...). I notice that a lot in English films/series where the acting is just plain off... but when it's in another language that I don't speak, it's hidden nicely. :P Do you notice the same?

Maybe this is a film that's best enjoyed without any idea what the hell's going on then, eh? heh

vankasteelj

Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:09 pm

I have a hard time watching bad french movies, where bad US movies go a little better, yes. But the worse, at least with french cinema, is how people talk. You don't really understand well, they swallow their words most of the time, and it's some sort of mixture that comes out, barely audible. I only noticed that with a few tv/movies from southern US states, where I don't understand what they say because they talk like cows (and when it's a hollywood, NY, UK, or NZ production, they usually speak very clearly). The issue is that most french movies are, for me at least, like that: it's hard to get what they say.

Return to “Off-topic talk”