Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
hector

Why can't I add smilies?

Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:36 pm

Hi, everybody 8)

I was wondering why sometimes I can't add smilies to my posts. I mean, near the edit box it says "Smilies are OFF". In my board preferences I have "enable smilies by default" Is there some kind of per-topic or per-section switch?

Could I still add a smilie writing ":)", ";)" or something like that in text? Or should I avoid them at all? But sometimes I'd like to use them and I can't. :(

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Re: Why can't I add smilies?

Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:04 pm

Smilies are enabled all over the forum: board-wide settings, settings of posts, you can even have a smilie in your signature.
I see some smilies in your post, I mean as images.

So the only thing I can think of, is that it's on your side. Check this setting:
User Control Panel > TAB Board Preferences > Edit display options > Display smilies as images
Maybe this is set to "No"?

No, no need or reason to avoid smilies.
Smile as much as you want.
:)
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

hector

Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:15 pm

I was surprised that in this thread I can do it. :o

But just to test I try to reply to this thread and there I can't. I mean, I don't know if I can or not. Perhaps I can add them as text. But it says: "Smilies are OFF" and I can't pick one with my mouse.

Why? Is it thread dependent? I don't know. Sometimes I wonder why I can't use software like anyone else. Sometimes I feel like a magnet for bugs :roll: Perhaps it's because I always try to use it in non-standard ways.

hector

Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:13 pm

So, I think it only happens in the "general talk" section. And it happens in any thread there.

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:23 pm

Mysterious. I can't find any reason why it occurs only in that section/thread, and only with you.
Maybe the forum software is smarter than we think - and it knows there is no reason to smile about kind-of-duplicates and OCR errors :lol:

It reminds me of the "Serenity Prayer" of Reinhold Niebuhr:
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

Or in shorter form, my solution:
accept and swallow.
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

hector

Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:56 pm

O.K.

Then I'll keep using those good old ASCII smilies. I don't need the mouse to write them. ;-)

oss
Site Admin

Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:00 am

I check general forum settings and there is checked parse smiles, so it should work. Also I add there quick reply option...

hector

Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:13 am

Nothing has changed. It still doesn't work.

I don't mind. But in case you want to investigate. Note the section:

In every other section it works but in general talk section it doesn't:

Return to “Off-topic talk”