Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
macofaco

Sublight 0.9.3

Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:40 pm

Free alternative for Subdownloader: Sublight 0.9.3

Screenshot: Image

oss
Site Admin

Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:35 pm

This is kind of advert.

Sublight it is not alternative to subdownloader, it is completely different project, which I am long time ago aware of. SubLight was called before SubDownloader2, which is "funny"

I am also looking for, if on subtitles-on.net in forum is some mention about opensubtitles/subdownloader...

macofaco

Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:32 pm

It is completely different project of course, but by functionality it is equal to SubDownloader if not even better.

True, project was initially called Subdownloader, because it's nice name, but people were really confused about it so it was later renamed to Sublight.

Sublight is in contrast to Subdownloader closed source (only API and documentation with examples is provided for plugin developers) and is targeted for Windows OS (requires Microsoft .NET Framework 2). Application is of course free!

Sublight is currently using 3 types of communication. Natively it communicates with its server using web services, but with plugins it can also search subtitles using XML RPC or parsing HTML.

Application also implements auto update functionality so users always have newest version.

If you or your users are interested in some other features I will gladly respond ;)

p.s. i hope this post/thread will not be deleted...

oss
Site Admin

Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:45 am

I will not delete it, but I am looking for, if you will post in your forum info about Subdownloader/oscar/allplayer and so on :)

If not, maybe I will delete it, fair enough, hm ?

macofaco

Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:33 am

Thing is that I don't have my forum because I don't have time to manage it... But if you are interested I can put link to Subdownloader or your page on http://www.subtitles-on.net. Is this fair enough?

oss
Site Admin

Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:37 am

yes, thats fair enough, thanks

too pitty we didnt join forces and just another "standard" exists...

nothing can be perfect.

macofaco

Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:14 am

macofaco

Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:16 pm

SublightCmd is now included in Sublight 0.9.7. This command line tool can be used for viewing .NFO and automatic subtitle downloading. It should also run under Mono (Linux).

Usage example:

SublightCmd nfo /imdb:tt0133093
SublightCmd nfo /title:"my name is earl"
SublightCmd download "C:\video.avi" "sl"+"en"
SublightCmd download "C:\video.avi" "sl"+"en" \priority:MaxRate \output:"C:\"

capiscuas

Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:02 am

Hello macofaco, I'm Ivan, creator and founder of the SubDownloader idea together with the os (opensubtitles.org admin) ,

I was annoyed before when you decided to start a project taking the name of SubDownloader2 without even asking me permission. I don't care if your program is just a copy of mine in interface and ideas, because I don't think that ideas have an owner.

SubDownloader has been and it will always be open source, that's what makes my application always better than yours.

I share "os" opinion about that it's a pitty that you decided to take the idea and make it by your own by using new API and different database, I'm not sure that the subtitles community will like to start from zero with ur program. (it's like to start a 2nd wikipedia from zero).

You seem to be a good programmer(you have almost copied my program in record time). You would have been quite welcome in our team if you would not have taken the selfish path.

Remember that SubDownloader has a open community, open code, and your ideas (if you decide to change your attitude) are more than welcome.

https://launchpad.net/subdownloader/

Ivan Garcia.

macofaco

Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:51 am

Hello, capiscuas.

Here are my replies.

"I don't care if your program is just a copy of mine in interface and ideas..."
-What do you mean with "interface"? User interface? Sublight user interface is NOT copy of your user interface! If you meant something else then please explain.

"...because I don't think that ideas have an owner."
-I totally agree with this one.

"SubDownloader has been and it will always be open source, that's what makes my application always better than yours."
-This is silly :) Open source has its advantages and disadvantages, just like closed source. End users decide which application is better than other.

"I share "os" opinion about that it's a pitty that you decided to take the idea and make it by your own by using new API and different database, I'm not sure that the subtitles community will like to start from zero with ur program. (it's like to start a 2nd wikipedia from zero)."
-I disagree. Competition is always welcome. Sublight will force you to make better Subdownloader and vice versa. This will be best for end users!

"You seem to be a good programmer(you have almost copied my program in record time)."
-I did not copy your program, not even one line of your code!

"You would have been quite welcome in our team..."
-First I would have to learn python :)

"...if you would not have taken the selfish path."
-Selfish? Can you explain this? Sublight is free just like Subdownloader, I wrote it because I was not satisfied with other solutions.

"Remember that SubDownloader has a open community, open code, and your ideas (if you decide to change your attitude) are more than welcome."
-My ideas will be implemented in Sublight but you are welcome to copy them.

"I was annoyed before when you decided to start a project taking the name of SubDownloader2"
-I admit, this was mine mistake which I explained already.

capiscuas

Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:03 pm

-This is silly Smile Open source has its advantages and disadvantages, just like closed source. End users decide which application is better than other.
Well, for me the most important part of a program is that is free (as freedom, not as free beer like yours) so users know what is going on in the program when they execute, that no spyware is being executed, etc, and also that it can be run in any platform.

Well, obviously you only can satisfy Micro$oft users, you seem to have the same answer than that company about when they try to excuse their propietary codes. Do we have to trust that your program is not spyware,harmful, etc ? Just because you tell us so ? Show us the code!!!

Microsoft, similar to you, sames not to care about standards and what communities have created before they arrive. They create their owns API's and try to push them to make it become new standards, destroying all the community efforts before done. You seem to follow the same way. Aren't you relative of Steve Ballmer ?

macofaco

Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:51 pm

Sublight is (currently) available only on Windows and this means that more than 90% of PC users can run it (first link on google I found: http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp).

If you do not trust me when I say there is no spyware, etc. in Sublight, then you can quite easily look in its code (only comments are excluded). I do not hide anything that is also why I did not obfuscate code (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obfuscated_code).

I selected Microsoft tools because they allow me to quickly implement my ideas. Do not undersdant me wrong. I did not say Microsoft tools are better than Linux tools (I do not want to start another flame war), I just say that I (me personally!) am more productive with Windows, Visual Studio and .NET. When I found enviroment where I will be even more productive then I will replace it with no hesitation (of course with minimum learning, because I can not just throw my current knowledge). In your case, you are more productive in Linux and Python and this is absolutely OK.

capiscuas, I think you are great programmer but you must be more objective.

mfferreira

Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:24 pm

Hello.
I don't usually write any posts here, but this time i must.

macofaco: You have to understand that OpenSource is more than offering (in most cases) a program or providing the source code for everyone to see. It's a way for people, like you, to learn how stuff is done no matter what language or how difficult it looks.

Second, I don't get it why you talk about competition or why it's good in any way. We're not suppose to be fighting for something but rather working for a common goal.
I don't see how better will your closed be, if in most cases that practice is done to have some kind of return, usually monetary. Yes, we do receive donations, that's what keeps SubDownloader alive and makes it grow better.

So, bottom line is, we're supposed to be fighting for an 'Open' world, not fighting against each other.

Cheers

macofaco

Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:38 pm

Like I said, I think competition is necessary for greater advancements. This is my philosophy. What world would it be if there would be only one brand of car, one brand of computer, processor, operating system, etc, etc. Would you like to live in such world?

capiscuas

Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:35 pm

macofaco,

sometimes is difficult to discuss about free open source software with somebody that has never experienced it. We are not agains competition, how do you think that their API etc it's open? for people to create many applications.

We just don't share your vision of propietary application, we believe in sharing the knowledge and not making profit out of it.

What are your intentions of making the software closed ? Do you want to sell it later?

The main factor of not using ur application is not because it only runs in Windows, it uses a different db, whatever, but it's because I cannot trust it, even you would be my truely friend, you can harm my HD or report my movies to the MPAA :-) , who knows ?

That's the reason why I only use opensource software, I want to trust.

I wish as mferreira said, just have open competition, that means many brands of car.

Return to “Off-topic talk”