Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
arraminax

computer & internet

Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:56 am

How many of you can live without having computer,Internet and cell phone?Don't you think because of all of those things now you are losting many things like exploring outside world?

arcchancellor

Re: computer & internet

Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:27 am

I'm a great fan of Thoreau, but why are you not outside, but in the Internet and register here only for the reason to ask this question? Image
"I don't believe in God. I just believe in Billy Wilder" - Fernando Trueba

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:09 pm

How many of you can live without having computer,Internet and cell phone?Don't you think because of all of those things now you are losting many things like exploring outside world?
Very interesting question!

I enjoy watching a great movie (on my computer), with good subtitles (downloaded from opensubtitles.org). I must admit that my cell phone (an ancient nokia 6310i) will be far away or off. But still I think it's better to BE a great movie. Walk a beautiful gorge, meet interesting people, sleep under the bare sky and navigate by the sun or the stars (they don't need to be recharged after half a day). Absorb, learn, and consume only what I need, instead of what I want. I am trying to do both.
why are you not outside, but in the Internet and register here only for the reason to ask this question?
Interesting paradox :) Maybe arraminax came from outside just to help us. Or maybe he/she is one of those himself. Still the question is valid...
I'm a great fan of Thoreau
Just like Alexander Supertramp / Christopher McCandless. See the movie "Into the wild", which is not so much about going into the wild bytheway.
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

arcchancellor

Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:33 am

Thx for the hint.
I like Sean Penn as director since The Indian Runner.
Maybe arraminax came from outside just to help us. Or maybe he/she is one of those himself.
Sounds like Jehovah's Witnesses. I will definitely not buy a Watchtower.

Merry christmas!
On the todays watchlist (like every year) ;-) : A Christmas Story.
I suppose you know this movie. If not, show it absolutely.

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:13 pm

To be honest, I think A Christmas Story is not really my cup of tea. But The Indian Runner sounds good. Maybe a good one to watch during Christmas ;-)

Another one related to this topic is "The Green Beautiful" (aka La Belle Verte), 1996. A funny but very sense making approach of our modern society, with some interesting messages. Perfect subs are available in English and Dutch ;-)

About Thoreau, I'm very interested, which one would you recommend?
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.

arcchancellor

Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:52 pm

Of course Walden and then right after that (or before ;-) ) Civil Disobedience !

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:45 pm

Of course Walden and then right after that (or before ;-) ) Civil Disobedience !
Thanks. I'm already quite disobedient ;-) so I'll start with Walden. I already ordered it - ironically, on the internet.

arcchancellor

Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:24 pm

Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach that person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
~Author Unknown Image

Return to “Off-topic talk”