Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
gdefil

Can't start Subdownloader

Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:47 pm

Hello, i have the following errors when i start the program

File "SubDownloader.py", line 396, in ?
File "wx\_core.pyo", line 7748, in __init__
File "wx\_core.pyo", line 7345, in _BootstrapApp
File "SubDownloader.py", line 372, in OnInit
UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xeb' in position 40: ordinal not in range(128)

what does this mean??? thanks

Ezelmannen

Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:58 am

I have the same error message except the last line that for me is:
UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xe5' in position 10: ordinal not in range(128)

I can only see this error message in the log because when I try to start the program the error popup is blocked by the splashwindow and I can only see the "Ok" button to remove it. .. (that TOTALLY sucks!!)

I'm running on Windows XP.

ixquic

Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:34 pm

Sounds familiar. It happens when you have a filename with special characters (0xE5 = 229 = "å" a ring, 0xEB = 235 = "ë" e dieresis) in your preferences file ( %programfiles%/subdownloader/conf/preferences.conf ).

How to get rid of it:
  1. make sure subdownloader is not still running: open task manager, if it's there, kill it
  2. open preferences.conf in a text editor and delete the line that contains the special character
If subdownloader doesn't accept the changed preferences.conf file, just delete it and subdownloader will create a new preferences file. Of course then you'll have to enter your name, password and settings again.

(le_roco solved this by patching the program source, see here. If you're not a programmer, never mind.)

Oh yes, that splash window is really annoying. I guess it is meant to give people some feedback that the program has started because it takes some time to connect and display the window. But it shouldn't be on top of everything else.

sga69

just delete it

Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:00 pm

Or in case you cannot find the "wrong" character, you can just delete the config file: %programfiles%/subdownloader/conf/preferences.conf

Ezelmannen

Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:33 pm

Thanks for the help!
I tried deleting the preferences.conf in the root-directory a few times but didn't think of checking in the conf-directory and deleting that.

But now when I've done that it at least starts!

Now if there only could come a new release that returns the drag-n-drop function I HEAVILY used!

capiscuas

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:52 am

Fixed in Subdownloader 2.0, it uses user preferences folder.

https://launchpad.net/subdownloader/

Return to “Programs using OS”