Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.

Do you like OSCAR?

Yes
71%
No
10%
I don't know
19%

Total votes: 72
Majky
Site Admin

sorry

Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:51 am

No, sorry. Oscar is a Windows only application.

Majky
Site Admin

g2v10.1

Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:46 pm

I just released a quick bug-fix release, g2v10.1 ... fixes the hash calculation bug for files 4GB+ and some strange behavior introduced in g2v10 with sorting (this has been disabled for the time being).

See the first post for more info.

eduo

Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:27 pm

does OSCAR also exists for Mac osX?
Where can I download it?
I did a post some while back with a Subtitle Downloader program I did that works on MacOS. If you want to get it.

nb000

version checker

Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:08 am

Hi,

An easy to implement and usefull feature would be:
'Is there a newer version of Oscar?'
Will you please do it?
[b]nb000[/b]

eduo

Re: version checker

Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:52 pm

Hi,

Will you please do it?
In the meantime, being subscribed to this forum thread should let you know of new versions (I hope new versions are sending email notifications in this thread).

Majky
Site Admin

Re: version checker

Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:20 am

Hi,

Will you please do it?
this feature is already implemented, it just isn't called periodically/automatically. You can access it in the 'Preferences' tab, in the toolbar on the right side.

Oscar development is currently stalled. There are no new feature requests (or feedback), so I guess those people who use it are happy with it the way it is.

I'm currently busy on other projects but I'm planning on revising the source code in the near future.

mrQQ

Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:20 pm

i have a problem with OSCAR. I added 3 movies to it, and it says that it found 0 subtitles. However if I search for them on website, I can find them.

Why? :(

vinayak1986

Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:11 am

To mrQQ
oscar searches for and shows those subtitles which exactly match(in sync) ur video file.. if it doesnt show any, it doesnt mean that there are no subtitles for that movie in the website.. i would advise u to download those subtitles from the site, make it in sync with ur file using tools like subtitle workshop and then upload it to the site so that others having that movie will be benefited

deafff

Search using movie name, open in external player

Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:09 pm

Nice app, but I think there are two important features missing:
- search for subtitles using movie name (preferably with name default parsed from avi filename, shouldn't bee too difficult to write a regexp to do it)
- open movie in external player (configurable command line + parameters for movie and subtitle file)

It would be nice if Search for subtitles in explorer menu actually started the search after it added the subtitle.

Other than that, nice app indeed, better than (at the moment?) buggy SubDownloader, mas u mna pivo :]. Too bad it isn't opensource.

deafff

subtitle download osdb limit, window maximize

Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:10 pm

Couple more things:
- i tried to download 180 subtitles at once and i only got an error message OSDb: 408 Invalid parameters...individual subtitles are downloading fine, perhaps there is some limit on OSDb's side, maybe you should send multiple requests instead?
- maximize/minimize buttons are missing on form
- some notification on which subtitles were already downloaded would be nice (option to uncheck them from list after they are downloaded?)

deafff

limit

Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:30 pm

after playing with wireshark, limit seems to be at around 100 subtitles per request

Majky
Site Admin

Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:35 pm

here are a few answers to deafff:
- I intentionally left out search by movie/file name 'cos those searches (in my opinion) only produce lots of unusable results. Nevertheless I agree an option to search subtitles without using the hash matching is useful. To do this you have the right-click menu option 'Search by IMDb ID' that will give you all the subtitles for this movie. Of course IMDb ID must be filled first (use 'Details' form).
- right-clicking a video file will give you a 'Show' option that attempts to start the video in your favorite player (using explorer file extension associations). If you download subtitle files in format/folder your player supports, no other configuration should be necessary (works for me and mpc :)
- search from explorer: that would be nice except I couldn't fix a certain bug that prevented this so for now just press 'Ctrl+S' after all the videos are loaded. no big deal
- downloading 180 files at once is most probably really not a good idea (never tried myself) I already implemented splitting search into more parts if too many videos are selected, maybe when time allows I'll do the same for downloads.
- min/max buttons are not there, I usually just do what I need done and quit. :) we'll see, not very high on my priority list though
- subtitles you have already downloaded before and displayed in the list with the language flag picture displayed in gray. no option to unselect these though yet (manually or after they're downloaded). that's a good idea, I'll implement it.
- looking forward to the beer ;)

regards, Majky ...

jugaor

Anonymus

Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:14 pm

Hi, people.
Why OSCAR uploads all the subs with "Anonymus" as user?
I manually log with my own user ID/Password (without problems), but the sub's details remain unchangeable.

Any hint, please.
jugaor

Majky
Site Admin

Re: Anonymus

Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:33 am

Hi, people.
Why OSCAR uploads all the subs with "Anonymus" as user?
I manually log with my own user ID/Password (without problems), but the sub's details remain unchangeable.

Any hint, please.
jugaor
Make sure you set your 'User' and 'Password' in the 'Preferences' tab.

Logging into the website using your web browser has no effect on Oscar.

jugaor

Re: Anonymus

Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:14 am

Make sure you set your 'User' and 'Password' in the 'Preferences' tab.
Logging into the website using your web browser has no effect on Oscar.
Thank you for your reply, but it's sure that I make the login inside OSCAR, not the website.

At Preferences, the URL line says:
http://www.opensubtitles.org:80/xml-rpc
I put my ID/pass, but the auto-login is not made. I think that some time ago the app logged automatically (older version? Maybe there was a change to the URL or something?)
Now I must click the "Login" button manually at each session and it works...
However, the situation remains the same (not enabling to change the Uploader).

[Besides this, when the "Test" button is pressed, OSCAR show a tiny empty window (?)]

Thanks for your attention.
jugaor

Return to “Programs using OS”