Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
valtsit

Insert subtitles to a movie and burn it on a cd or dvd

Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:52 pm

Hallo friends,

first of all thank you all in advance. I have a problem. I dont no how i can insert subtitles in a movie and burn it in a cd or dvd. Can somebody help me. Maybe some software or some hint.

Thank you very much.

Valtsit

mehdii

help Insert subtitles to a movie and burn it on a cd or dvd

Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:39 pm

hello i have as problem too.

plz help me

isah

Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:03 pm

Download AviSub http://www.trustfm.net/divx/SoftwareAviSub.html
Versy simple program to add subtitles to avi movies.

If you have any problem, I will try to help:)

remulac

avisub problems

Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:24 am

I've tried avisub on idx and srt subs and the program says it is loading properly but the resulting file (divx) has no subs. Any idea why this would be so?

EdRicardo

Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:43 pm

google wiki subtitles

Subtitles can also be created by individuals using freely-available subtitle-creation software like Aegisub and then hardcode them onto a video file with programs such as VirtualDub in combination with VSFilter which could also be used to show subtitles as softsubs in many software video players. If you have a film with an external subtitle file, say an .avi file with a matching .srt file, you can embed the subtitles in the film so you have one file which will play showing the subtitles whether or not the software or hardware supports subtitles. For example try AviRecomp which is explained simply at Every Flavour Beans. If the subtitles in a .srt file show at the wrong time in the .avi file then you might try changing the timing with Time Adjuster.

shinob1

Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:03 am

Hi, do i really need a subtitle converter to add the subs into the avi movie file because i thought that all you have to do is change the name of the video file/sub srt file to the same name of the other to make it work. Subs that came with the movie worked on my other avi movies but not subs i downloaded from this website.. help ?

oss
Site Admin

Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:47 pm

I was really satisfied with this one. They got free version.

ConvertXtoDVD is right product. It supports DIVX, XVID, MKV, MOV, MPEG, WMV, DV, OGM, RMVB and more video formats.

Special features:
- Optimized for multi-core processors
- Fast and quality encoder
- Subtitles supported internal and external: SSA, SRT, SUB/IDX, VOB
- PAL or NTSC and 16:9 or 4:3 output formats
- Advanced menu creation
- Chapter creation (automatic or custom)
- Advanced file merging possibilities
- Included burning engine, supports all DVD formats
- Optimized for Windows 2000 / XP / Vista

http://www.opensubtitles.org/recommend/a-convertxtodvd

Beigeog

Re: Insert subtitles to a movie and burn it on a cd or dvd

Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:58 am

Actually, it's easy to add subtitles to a movie, just need four steps:
1. Create a new folder.
2. Drag both MP4 video file and SRT subtitle into the same folder.
3. Rename subtitle file as the same name as the video file.
4. Play the video with your media player.
or you could just download the srt. from http://www.opensubtitles.org/en/search and use a software add subtitles in the movie
Last edited by SmallBrother on Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed commercial link

kazekira

Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:55 pm

Hey!

That's a tough one, but I'll try to explain it as well as I can.

Basically, DVDs suck. They utterly lack the freedom and flexibility that one has when using a media server setup or anything wholly digital.
Due to the fact that DVDs (and BluRays, for that matter) underly a strict set of rules when it comes to encoding and folder structures, it's easy to encounter issues when trying to manually include subtitles into a self-made video DVD.

Most importantly, .srt files are NOT supported anywhere on a DVD, since they are entirely text-based and hardly any DVD reader knows what the hell to do with that.
On every retail DVD/BluRay, subtitles are included in an .idx/.sub structure. Unlike .srt files, these are image-based.
That means, that there are two files (one small, one huge) with one containing images including the subtitles (already formatted, looks like a screenshot of some sorts) and the other one containing timings and the respective references to the fitting subtitle image.

So, as to what you can actually do to make it work for you:
If you have .idx/.sub files, it's rather easy. You can include them with almost every major DVD burning suite.
If you have .srt files, you're shit out of luck, since things get a little bit tricky from here on.

With .srt files, you pretty much have two options. Either you try to convert them into the .idx/.sub structure and add them more or less natively (that one's a mess), or you hard-encode (or 'burn') the subtitles into the video stream. Doing the latter, the subtitles become one with the video file, allowing them to appear everywhere the video file itself is playable.

There's two major downsides with this method though:
1.) You are NOT able to deactivate or get rid of the burned subtitles once they're hard-encoded, since they are permanently added to the video stream. Everybody who tells you otherwise is straight-up spreading nonsense and false hope. Sure, there are tools who claim to be able to get rid of burned subtitles, but all they do is put the video stream under surgery and forcefully cut out the parts where the subtitles are shown. That leaves you with a messed-up and weirdly cropped video file and a lot of frustration.
2.) If your video stream is low-res (240p/360p/480p) and you want to watch it on a big screen, things can get mushy.
When burning subtitles into a video stream, they obviously are bound to respect the video file's resolution. If you now try to watch it on a bigger screen, since the subtitles become a part of the video stream, they also get stretched to fit the display's size and resolution, causing them to appear out of focus and kind of ugly.

There you go. I hope I could shed some light unto your issue. If you choose to hard-encode the subtitles, I'd recommend you using Handbrake, since it's a free and extremely reliable tool and my personal favourite for basically anything video-related.

Cheers,
kaze

Edit: Okay, I just noticed that this thread is as old as the universe. Just do what oss recommended. I'll just keep this reply here solely for the extra bit of info included.

Stahideati

Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:28 pm

Here are some related tips on how to insert subtitles to a movie:
https://www.wikihow.com/Add-Subtitles-t ... aded-Video
https://www.techsmith.com/blog/add-capt ... les-video/
[Commercial link removed by SmallBrother]
And I know there are some online subtitle adders like ezgif.com/video-subtitles and substital.com can be helpful in adding subtitles.

Return to “Programs using OS”