Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
OSPlayer

Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:57 am

darkblood, I see you presenting big conspiracy theory and in some points I'm agree with you, but...
I haven't checked linux sources, but many people from the free software and open-source software communities have, and have contributed to it.
...and some of them contribute bugs with premeditation (sadly).
I think you're judging them also by which has most market share.
No, I'm not. I'm judging them only by that how they work.
Example: when I searched software to run windows games/apps on linux I found few (some free and some on shareware license) and tried all of them and only that shareware programs could run every windows program i tried.
why does the developer choose what's safe for me?
You're right but we won't win this battle. Just if we look at windows as it is sold (without any additions, modifications etc) we must say it acts like virus, trojan, spyware, adware and who knows what else more at the same time...
you have your opinion, i have mine and both should be respected. But everyone would benefit much more from a free-as-in-freedom program than a proprietary one.
Yes and i respect yours but you must remember there always were people who take advantage of others and take codes made by others (even if it's not open source) and develop on it own programs and then sell them (more advanced stolen code - higher price), it's illegal but it's truth. Thats the reason why not many software developers give their codes and they also want have benefits from theirs work.

I think we should end that conversation here (if you want to we may continue on PW) and leave that topic for questions about using OSPlayer.

jay

Re: OpenSubtitles Player

Sat May 15, 2010 3:52 pm

I have just downloaded the open subtitles player and is very happy to say that it works just fine BUT
some video files does not open and i get message that NO CODEC...you need codec XVid...and if i download i go to paypal website to download it..which costs me bucks...but u said this player is free then y not the CODECS???

I had 2 movies both .avi type but one opens in OSplayer and other does not...and also MKV files do not play on this player
here is info about the file that does not open...:-
Media Format: AVI
File Size: 627.7 MiB
Duration: 01:34:30.665

Video (0):
Codec: (XVID) XviD
Format: MPEG-4 Visual
Wideo Size: 640x272
FrameRate: 23.976 fps
Aspect ratio: 2.35:1
BitRate: 758 Kbps

Audio (0):
Codec: (MPA1L3) MPEG-1 Audio layer 3
Format: MPEG Audio
Channel(s): 2 channels
BitRate: 125 Kbps

HELP!!!!!!!! I LUV THIS SOFTWRE BUT FIX THIS PROB...........GIVE ME FREE CODECS

Rui_Abreu12

Re: Open Subtitles MKV Player

Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:16 pm

Hi!
I have just downloaded the open subtitles player and it works just fine BUT
some video files does not open and i get message that NO CODEC...you need codec AVC...and if i download i go to paypal website to download it..which costs me bucks...but u said this player is free. But to have the others codecs? i have to pay?

Rui_Abreu12

Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:19 pm

How can i make a live update?

SimplyTheBOSS
Site Admin

Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:42 am

Hi!
I have just downloaded the open subtitles player and it works just fine BUT
some video files does not open and i get message that NO CODEC...you need codec AVC...and if i download i go to paypal website to download it..which costs me bucks...but u said this player is free. But to have the others codecs? i have to pay?

Download example "K-Lite Mega Codec Pack", It's free.

nayanasri

Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:59 pm

OMG, The crappiest player of all time.

Updated all codec but cannot play any AVI files.

It requires payment to use English update servers.

Heavy disk read when I starting to play a file, but then nothing play, just blank screen.

Automatically changed Chromes browser's home page to that "Babylon" crap & I lost all my saved tabs because of this :evil:

Uninstalling now .... :!:

dorin5

Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:05 am

About subtitle font settings, character encoding doesn't work with EasternEurope.
Same subtitle displays correctly in VideoLAN VLC player.
Below is an example:

00:04:20,971 --> 00:04:24,571
- ╬mi plac foarte mult fotografiile tale.
- Mul■umesc. Mul■umesc.

00:04:24,671 --> 00:04:28,172
Ascultπ, e║ti liber vineri seara?

opensores

Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:33 pm

I can't imagine why OpenSubtitles.org would bother reinventing the wheel unless it's for the usual reason$.

I've been using the following methods (mostly the first as I watch movies on a PC with a 30" monitor) very well FOR YEARS. Use what you like, of course, but if you need advice:

Player: MPC-BE http://sourceforge.net/projects/mpcbe/files/MPC-BE/. Choose either x86 (for that flavor of OS, or to use guides utilizing alternate filters, renderers etc..), or x64 (for that flavor of OS and as a standalone player utilizing all build-in filters, DXVA support etc..).

Some Setup Guides: Advanced MPC-HC (-BE is pretty much the same) http://www.avsforum.com/t/1357375/advan ... etup-guide; HomeCinema-HD Image; Huarichan's Hi10P GUIDE http://haruhichan.com/wpblog/?p=205; Ranpha's Guides (anime) http://imouto.my/watching-h264-videos-u ... ture-cuda/

I hope this helps anyone still looking for a solution to the MKV player issue. BTW, NEVER install codec packs. Install individual codecs as required. Follow a reputable guide until you're your own guru.

andressnow

Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:34 pm

Hi, my name is Andres and I´m having the same problem darkblood had. I really like open subtitles use it all the time and just started to use the player and liked it as well.. but! buuuuttt!! for no reason stoped working smooth a lot of videos dont play and i get a message saying

"the other program is using this file you can try to download from live blablabla... just pay U$3 and that´s it.. I´ve done it and still doesn´t work... I thought it could be something else so did the .dll problem fixing from mi9crosoft... nothing, now I got revo uninstaller pro did uninstall completely the open player and will starting re instal. the open player what else can i do? please help me. I´m a designer and a brand concept marketing director.. and really think the player has style, its cool to be able to customize the brightness contrast etcetc the playlist thing , i mean it´s a nice product but that annoying thing with the codecs it really starting to make me look for some other one.

ahh about the playlist... why when you unpin from the video window when you perefor any action it goes back together,.. so pointless why it doesn´t stay undocked???

just a detail.. so you can see how much potential i think your product have... this is the first time ever that i´m writting on a forum in my life.. any forum... i really wanna stick with the open player.

please help me to succeed!!!

thank you,

Andrés Pinilla

MrPike

Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:51 am

Hi All

Did you try to play movies with uncheck this option:
Click right button on player window
Filtry/Używaj własnych kodeków [it means Filters/Use own codecs]
filters.jpg
filters.jpg (40.4 KiB) Viewed 18340 times

viorello

Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:53 pm

yeah, total crap sort of a player. it may go budles with DNS Unlocker virushttp://nabzsoftware.com/types-of-threats/dns-unlocker. The virus drivin me nuts, and the player is no better...

Return to “Programs using OS”