Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
hintslara82

I don't understand how most APIs work

Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:52 am

Here are the things I'm confused about:

How are APIs not language specific. I code Java and C++, both OOP languages. So.... what if you communicated with an API that didn't have objects? Like let's say Google. Lets say I want to call an API function which returns any new emails in my inbox since it was last checked. It can't just return a string. It would return an EmailLetter object or something. But what if I was using LUA or something. I just don't understand how it's possible.

Can all languages use all APIs? If no, where is the line drawn? Surely a low level language cannot use a high level API.

I've heard of JSON before. How does it work?

Do I have to 'download' an API? How do I get my eclipse/whatever ide to recognize functions and such from the API?

Are there any really basic apis to work with to get used to it? I tried googles for gmail and I couldn't even figure out how to download / use it.

Lets say I want to access data from a private website. Instead of trying to read the source code for their website, do I contact them and hope they send me an API? Is there danger in doing this? Do they have to 'make' an API?

how are apis made? What software is used and how are they notated ? How do you give peoollr access to your api without jeopardizing your intellectual property?

Thanks guys. Also if anyone knows how to make programs communicate with any one of blizzards games, whether by API or other methods, pm me!

oss
Site Admin

Re: I don't understand how most APIs work

Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:15 pm

Hi

welcome to coding world you will have amazing journey. You asked a lot of questions, for most of them, you can find your answer in google or stackoverflow :)

start with some article which is explaining what is API, because you don't understand it.

georgesmith

Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:39 pm

Look this guide - https://www.cleveroad.com/blog/what-is-an-api. There's detailed information about what is api and how does it work

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:22 pm

Sorry guys, but don't bother.
Once again a crafty spammer.
I already took care of it.
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

Return to “Programs using OS”