Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
u-boat.io

U-Boat.io - Download subtitles in batch

Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:18 am

Hey guys,

I created https://u-boat.io in my spare hours. You can use it to easily download subtitles in batch, simply by selecting the video file(s) from your hard disk. What would take you 20 to an hour to do manually on the OS website, you can now do in 20 seconds.

Please let me know what you think! I am in super beta phase. As in...I did not even do extensive cross-browser testing. Viewing it in IE is therefore not recommended.

Hope it can be of use to any of you. Comments for improvements would be greatly appreciated.

oss
Site Admin

Re: U-Boat.io - Download subtitles in batch

Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:39 pm

Thanks, but why user have to login ? Not many people will use it, if have to login...

u-boat.io

Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:51 am

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Ideally I would have it without login. But OpenSubtitles sets a download limit for each user - even VIPs can only download 1000 subtitles per 24h (200 for non-VIPs). So if I would do all requests with my own (VIP) user, I would hit the limit after the users of my site hit 1000 subtitles.

Well...right now that is not a problem since I have about three logins per day. But I introduced the login to keep it workable on the long run.

oss
Site Admin

Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:41 pm

user can use API without any login. Login should be optional, not mandatory.

u-boat.io

Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:36 am

Then perhaps you guys could update your API documentation.

https://trac.opensubtitles.org/projects ... vReadFirst

Because it talks about download limits connected to username/IP multiple times. I quote:

- IF you need to download bulk sets of subtitles, User Agent will not help you. There is ​limitation per day for downloads per IP/User.

(it then links to this page https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/support#vip)

- If you are registering User Agent to raise download limits from opensubtitles - it is wrong and it will not work. Download Limits are per User IP and User ID, it doesn't have nothing common with UA.

This exact text made me decide to implement that login. Because I thought; if all the traffic to OS comes from my IP with the same username constantly, I will run into problems at some point

oss
Site Admin

Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:35 am

Hi

make login optional. You will not run into any problems, if USER will initiate download, if you are downloading subtitles to your server and then serve them to user, then thats another story (and it is wrong implementation).

There is limits only for download subtitles, every other function works without limitation.

I hope it is clear now

u-boat.io

Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:57 pm

OK, got it. Thanks for your reply.

For now I will completely remove the need for login, and perhaps make it optional later.

oss
Site Admin

Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:20 pm

just make it optional, not so visible, so it doesnt stop users to use that service

u-boat.io

Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:45 am

Sure, thanks. I will make it optional at some point. Right now I just stripped out the functionality, so it is ready.

I have a whole list of things to improve, but for now I first need some traffic before I spend any more time on this project functionally. I am not appearing in the Google Search results, so SEO has my prio.

A really appreciate the suggestion. Thanks again.

oss
Site Admin

Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:58 am

Hi

good luck with Google, we are trying to be there too, but they are banning these kind of sites unfortunately.

Return to “Programs using OS”