Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
Mikos85

Kodi login error

Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:00 pm

Dear reader,

For abouth a month now i keep having problems with login on the OpenSubtitles addon.
It just keep saying: Error searching for subtitles Your opensubtitles.org username or password is empty

My username and password are 100% correct, as i can login to the website withouth problems.

Is my account block or something?

Frustrating.... i need some help plz! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Regard,

Maik

scooby007
Site Admin

Re: Kodi login error

Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:04 pm

Dear Mikos85,

Read the following topic and see if that helps: https://forum.opensubtitles.org/viewtop ... =1&t=16830

This may also help: https://blog.opensubtitles.org/guides/i ... addon-kodi

If you use a VPN, try changing your location.
Also, opensubtitles API is down ATM. Should be fixed soon.

Thank you.

4c3T

Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:28 pm

Hi. I've also had the exact same problem, and I think it's a tough cookie to swallow having to change VPN-server just to access the db. By that I mean that I have an IP add-on feature with my VPN ISP which allows me to have the same IP in like a static mode, although it's a dynamically assigned, and at my present setup I'm using that very same computer as my multimedia PC.

Also, regarding the post from Mikos85, I too can access the homepage (I'm writing this from that PC now!), so I don't see why there would be a problem really. It seem to me that something isn't properly set up if Kodi can't connect, but the browser can...

scooby007
Site Admin

Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:41 pm

I too can access the homepage (I'm writing this from that PC now!), so I don't see why there would be a problem really. It seem to me that something isn't properly set up if Kodi can't connect, but the browser can...
Hey,

Accessing the site and writing in the forum doesn't eliminate IP issues for IP's that may be banned. That can still cause uploading issues, and in cases, downloading issues. Hence, suggested trying a change of IP address/server to eliminate that as a cause. Our API connection to external software was down a few days ago, but as far as I'm aware, that is up and running.

If all else fails and you're able, delete the opensubtitles add-on and follow the following instructions and reinstall in Kodi:

https://www.tvaddons.co/open-subtitles-kodi/

I don't think any admins/moderators use the Kodi box, so it's not something we can investigate personally.
Sorry if the above doesn't help, but do keep us posted.

4c3T

Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:18 am

Ahem... Somewhat embarrassing I must confess:
I found out that the firewall was the cause for this.

About a week ago I got really fed up with Windows (dimwitted) defender constantly putting files into quarantine (And they've effed up the navigation, although it's gotten some improvement lately regarding quarantined items) and a firewall that I couldn't use the way I wanted it to (blocking out certain IP's), so I installed Eset Av/Smart security (Yeah, riiiight) and put it in interactive mode, meaning I had to permit or deny any files or traffic.Or at least, that was the thought.

Turned out it wasn't allowing some traffic, if it was one directional, global, intranet or whatever I changed. I don't remember, it was late, I'm a little senile sometimes and... Meh..

Anywhoo, this software suit will soon be replaced with something else, since Eset too have screwed up their software, and I can't help to think since it seem to be Russian, I might be exposed to espionage, who knows..? I really liked the old version... 6 I think it was. Sleek, super-quick and easy. Now it's all graphics and funky menus.
Oh well, can't have it like I used to I'm afraid. I'd love however to see XP revitalized pretty much as it was (Don't say Real OS- It's nowhere near ready yet, if it'll ever be) and... Ehh.. I could just as well make Christmas wishlist while I'm at it, but I won't.

So, subs are once again downloadable thanks to a specified hands-the-eff-off rule in the firewall.
I'm glad it was that easy, otherwise it'd be somewhat of a problem as I have an, as I pointed out earlier, an specific assigned IP-address to which I have a domain pointed to.

So, until next time I suppose, and thanks for replying!

scooby007
Site Admin

Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:09 pm

Since there is no problem from our end, it makes it hard to determine what the issue may be. I'm glad you figured it out as there were other users with this issue. Hope your feedback helps them, too. It's normally the simple stuff that evade us.

Don't think you need to be worried about Russian espionage, unless you work for Mi6 or the NSA, etc. Normal users are fine, and Kaspersky is still one of the best Internet security software, as voted by Tom's Hardware and similar online companies. Use Norton360 myself, gets the job done and had it for over 12 years now with no issues.

Just found it strange Firewall blocked you on Kodi and not through your PC. I'm guessing it was a Firewall via Kodi box or via your router itself. Hopefully others can also benefit from your investigations. And thanks for keeping us informed.

4c3T

Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:29 pm

It's very strange, or it were, since I run Kodi on the same computer as I browsed from
I don't have a router, but it does have multiple NIC's as well as internal adapters or whatever it's called. I use both TAP9 (VPN) and an networking adapter for Oracle VM, so that might have confused the firewall perhaps.
I know that Defender gets really confused and sometimes stops working, despite having specific rules against traffic. It works mostly fine for a couple of hours, then it just goes senile and ignores these set rules.

Well, some computer things you never know what they're doing. There are so insane amount of people developing all the different software that are used on computers, it's amazing that they even work. Especially considering all the roadblocks that Microsoft put up over the years. Just take these courses on SQL server to get certified, with these insane books that goes with it (Don't know if it's even in use nowadays or if it's been replaced by something newer - Who cares, I'm not going to learn it...).
The second you install some 3rd party software you'll have to install some framework DLL's or runtimes or whatever, and before long you've discovered some bug or flaw in the software, and if it's not something that has been forgotten (internal works) it's often due to either some bad interfacing to these framework/runtimes, or something's wrong with these files due to some updates (Remember Windows 3.xx->XP with the DLL issues when installing new or older programs which overwrote them, causing BSOD's and stuff?).

Too bad they're always overcomplicate things today (Win 7-10 is horrible) and remove stuff and makes it more confusing than ever, which is contradictory to making it easier to use... Eh.. What was the thoughts there I wonder..? Ahh...
Looks like we'll be stuck with Win 10 until end of times, but considering that they've changed quite a lot since it's first inception, it's bound to have a thousand update files in say 10 years (When installing from an old media).

Oh well. I really hope they ever get RealOS stable and fully working. That'd be nice.

RandyBonnette

Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:15 am

Hey,

I'm always trying to be careful with any 3rd party software - I had so many issues because of some of them and my antivirus made my head explode (on Windows 10). By the way, I had the same error message. But I found the solution on the Kodi forum. But that was an easy fix: I just had to create an account at opensubtitles.org. The addon goes as described above in the previous mentioned topics, I entered my username and password, then pressed ok and then I was able to add Spanich subtitles.

Ipaddle

Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:53 am

Hey,

I'm always trying to be careful with any 3rd party software - I had so many issues because of some of them and my antivirus made my head explode (on Windows 10). By the way, I had the same error message. But I found the solution on the Kodi forum. But that was an easy fix: I just had to create an account at opensubtitles.org. The addon goes as described above in the previous mentioned topics, I entered my username and password, then pressed ok and then I was able to add Spanich subtitles.
So, which version of this addon are you using?

oss
Site Admin

Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:08 am

he is using addon available in Kodi default repository. Just install opensubtitles addon as you normally would, add there opensubtitles your username and password and you are ready to use it.

Return to “Programs using OS”