Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
scooby007
Site Admin

Re: OpenSubtitles-Uploader (Windows/Linux/OSX)

Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:50 pm

Hi guys,

As I've not uploaded subtitles really in years, I've not had this program, but thought I could still submit hashes against subs that don't have them and downloaded it today. It's a wonderful program and so easy to use.

If this page from the upload page link: https://github.com/vankasteelj/opensubt ... /tag/2.5.0
Had the YouTube tutorial video on it clearly outlined, it would have prompted me and others to download it sooner, as it explains it easily how to use the program. Can you please add that tutorial to that page?

What I found when using it and would like changing or included.

1: I love how when the language isn't detected, a box pops up saying auto language wasn't detected of the .srt file. When manually selecting the file, I found no real chronological/alphabetical order to it. "Netherlands" was next to English followed by a few languages in S, F and then back to D for Deutsch and so forth. Can we have that drop down language list similar to the sites version? So it's Dutch then English. So D, E, F, G, etc. Would be nice in future versions.

2: When submitting a hash for a subtitle that already has it, it says: "Subtitle already present in the database, the hash too."
Would it be possible for the program to give you a link to that subtitle? Trivial, but would be nice, if possible.
I did that today for a subtitle, but couldn't see any hashes on it, I'm guessing that part is a site cache issue and will show in 24 hours.

Thanks for keeping the app updated over the years, and I hope it continues to work with the new opensubtitles.com website. When "uploading" is allowed on the interface, obviously.

Much obliged if you could consider the above features/changes on the app. :D

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:05 pm

2: When submitting a hash for a subtitle that already has it, it says: "Subtitle already present in the database, the hash too."
Would it be possible for the program to give you a link to that subtitle? Trivial, but would be nice, if possible.
I did that today for a subtitle, but couldn't see any hashes on it, I'm guessing that part is a site cache issue and will show in 24 hours.
[/b]
I have seen this a lot and I think it's the OpenSubtitles system fooging up here. I have been adding hashes to subs which were uploaded like 2 or 3 seconds before and apparently "the hash was already present". But I am pretty convinced it was NOT. Or cases where subs are on the site for a long time and when I try to add a hash, suddenly it is "already present". No way, José. I think it is the OS system being confused and passing back the wrong info to the Uploader.

Still there is a point, because some time after, the hash IS actually being added.
Btw, hashes have a HUGE cache expiry period, up to eeeeh 40 hours or so sometimes.
(Oss, can you make that a bit shorter?)

Besides, yes, it would definitely be nice to have some link to the subtitle that message is referring to.
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

vankasteelj

Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:38 pm

I'll check that out, but its easier for me to open tickets on github directly

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:04 pm

For me, it's easier to speak Chinese than to join Github.
But anyway, it would be nice if you can dig into it and see what can be done.
I think it's not that crappy. And it does the job: a bit easier to actually download it - for people like me :-P
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.

scooby007
Site Admin

Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:29 pm

For me, it's easier to speak Chinese than to join Github.
But anyway, it would be nice if you can dig into it and see what can be done.
I tried GitHub, and you’ll never guess, I’m actually fluent in Chinese. ;)

Yes, I agree. It’s not crap but better to understand than before. User friendly interfaces are key to get users to try things.
I only hope you considered rearranging the language display layout.

Now all we need is for oss to link that page to the opensubtitles-uploader button on the upload page. So when users click on it, that’s the page they see. For more technical users, that GitHub can remain a link on the new page layout.

Cheers.

scooby007
Site Admin

Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:18 pm

I checked GitHub.
I can see:

1: "alphabetically order languages in sub dropdown"
and
2: "add link to already present in db subtitle" features have been added.

Thank you very much.
Any idea when the release update would be ready to download?

pooond

Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:31 pm

Thanks, fun7om, but I didn't see any executable icon in that download folder to be able to launch it. Unless I'm being thick :D
I think I'll wait for the official release version.
Cheers.

fun7om

Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:16 pm

Thanks, fun7om, but I didn't see any executable icon in that download folder to be able to launch it. Unless I'm being thick :D
I think I'll wait for the official release version.
Cheers.
you are correct.
simple how to:
i downloaded portable version (windows)
https://github.com/vankasteelj/opensubt ... rtable.zip
simply Extract.

than extract onto the main folder the previous link
https://github.com/vankasteelj/opensubt ... master.zip

this only updates some files.
:D

vankasteelj

Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:40 pm

I opened the app again to check on those errors people have reported recently. But the errors with the API seems to have gone away since OS admin took a look at the error responses.

I see that in the start of january the app usage has been on an all-time high (around 800 uploaded subtitles) per day. Previously, when the error poped-up every time, I could only see "tryUploadsubtitles" calls instead of "uploadsubtitles" (For transparency: I don't monitor the app, it's the API key that's giving me those infos, from OpenSubtitles directly, I can only see the total number of calls per week made by my API key.)

I don't use this app often and don't come on this forum often either, so it'll always be easier to contact me through github (by opening a ticket). But it seems to be working so far, and I havent changed anything on the app side, so all thanks need to go to OS

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:06 pm

Yes, there were problems with uploading, but yes, the problem was fully on the side of OpenSubtitles. This was fixed and since then the OpenSubtitles-Uploader is working like a charm again.

Once again, thanks and compliments for this great tool!
Trust me, I am not so easily satisfied ;-)

Btw, you should get e-mail notifications if anybody posts something here in this topic - unless you have actively switched it off. One way or another, it would be nice if you could monitor this topic once in a while, since most OpenSubtitles users aren't technicians who know they should or even can go to github.

oss
Site Admin

Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:06 pm

yep, last error was problem with Cloudflare, wrong setting was applied and CF returns captcha...

Masutin

Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:58 am

Can you help with
2.5.0-win32-portable
on Windows XP? Failure to launch with: AcquireSRWLockExclusive not found in Kernel32.dll.

vankasteelj

Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:21 am

Windows XP is no longer supported since 2016, I can't help you with that

Return to “Programs using OS”