Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
oss
Site Admin

Re: OpenSubtitles-Uploader (Windows/Linux/OSX)

Wed May 18, 2016 4:55 am

well...actually it is possible to translate it using opensubtitles translation module...

anyway, you found me and transifex is great service too.

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Wed May 18, 2016 9:04 am

well...actually it is possible to translate it using opensubtitles translation module...
Referring to what I said in https://forum.opensubtitles.org/viewtop ... =90#p34720 ... wouldn't that be better? If the same entries would be used, it would avoid differences between the web upload page and the OpenSubtitles-Uploader. It would make it easier for the admins/translators (no need to read this topic, not again another url/login/password etc.). Resulting, I think soon there would be 30-50 translations instead of just four.
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

vankasteelj

Wed May 18, 2016 11:40 pm

Do I have control over that "opensubtitles translation" module? I've never heard of it. At least with transifex, I can manage everything I want (upload new strings, delete, add a lang, absolutely w/e is needed).

Besides, it's important to note that transifex is home to many many projects (from VLC, passing by TOR and up to XFCE, the linux desktop environment). It's a really "common" place for projects like this one, open source.

Ah, and there's 3 new strings available for translation: https://www.transifex.com/vankasteelj/o ... /translate :D

PS: version 2.0 is almost out

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Thu May 19, 2016 1:01 pm

Do I have control over that "opensubtitles translation" module? I've never heard of it. At least with transifex, I can manage everything I want (upload new strings, delete, add a lang, absolutely w/e is needed).
Yeah, I see an advantage in using Transifex over merging it with the OS translation module - no need to coordinate or wait.

But personally I don't like another account somewhere: sign-up, bookmarks, profile, passwords, notifications, IM's, exposed email address (by default even inside the file!) and all that oh-my-god jazz.

So, in my case I have blocked/obscured everything (I hope), meaning I will not know if there are any new strings to translate. And maybe more translators are mad like me. So please, post it in this topic if new strings are to be translated. Sorry for being so difficult and killing one of the handy features of Transifex.

Also, I have edited your first post with a short description including the URL of Transifex.
PS: version 2.0 is almost out
I think this is a good moment to change "Developped by" into "Developed by" :)
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.

vankasteelj

Thu May 19, 2016 1:05 pm

I think this is a good moment to change "Developped by" into "Developed by" :)
kek, french leftovers, why in the world would english people only have one p in developer/developed?!

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Thu May 19, 2016 4:06 pm

why in the world would english people only have one p in developer/developed?!
It slows down the wearing out of the P on the keyboard.

vankasteelj

Thu May 19, 2016 9:44 pm

I think (?) I'm done, I'll update strings on Transifex.

If @oss @MaAd @SmallBrother @Funchalense could translate the latest strings (here: https://www.transifex.com/vankasteelj/o ... oader-nwjs), I'll release 2.0 (maybe final update, before batch process or new translations, I really don't see what I could possibly do to enhance it^^)

oss
Site Admin

Fri May 20, 2016 4:32 am

done for me

MaAd

Fri May 20, 2016 8:17 am

Polish done :)

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Fri May 20, 2016 11:52 am

NL done - but you already knew that ;-)

Btw, can I also edit a translation?
It looks like they are 'locked' now.

vankasteelj

Fri May 20, 2016 12:10 pm

Transifex ranking works like this:

- Admin: access to everything
- Coordinator (per language): accept new team members, review translations, translate
- Reviewer: review translations, translate
- Translator: translate

"reviewing" is "mark a translation as good", meaning it fits all the tests (basically: the string is correctly worded and it's good in the project).

This allows to separate:
A) strings that were translated by someone, for all we know he could be a terrible writer
B) strings marked as good, that are meaningful and also looks good in the application (good lenght, doesn't overlap, etc.).

I made some people here "Coordinator", which means you're basically almighty when it comes to your language, you can review and 'unreview' things, you can edit them, you can accept new team members, etc.
Normally, SmallBrother, you should be able to change reviewed strings. Be sure to hit "start translating", then unreview a string, edit it, save it, then review it if you're 100% sure it works in the app (you can test yourself within the app, each of you has access to the json file where the app is installed in your machine, it's not "compiled" or hidden, the entire source code is there, executed just-in-time by v8, change a json file, restart the app, and you'll see the changes)

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Fri May 20, 2016 1:40 pm

Ah, now I see a "Review" and "Unreview" button.

But, problem:
I unreviewed it, edited the string, clicked "Save".
When I now click the button "Review", the string disappears from the Dutch column.

I don't get it, but that doesn't look good to me, so I just left it like that.
Maybe you can just review it.
Only two strings, I made them shorter (and less silly), so it shouldn't be a problem in the application.

[Edit]
Btw, String #7 ("Subtitle file") is translated as "Ondertitel" but technically it should be "Ondertitelbestand".
I suspect you made it shorter for technical reasons (length) (?)
So I left it like this.

Sorry, too lazy to actually check it in the application...

vankasteelj

Fri May 20, 2016 1:57 pm

The disappearing bit is probably a technical issue from transifex, it's new (didn't happen 2 months ago), so it'll probably solve itself at some point. You see it disappear, but it's still there (reload the page and you'll see the string there, as reviewed).

As for the ondertitelbestand, yes, it's 2 characters too long. When you're translating an application, you don't have to follow the english wording, for example, in french "video file" is translated by "video", and "file name" is translated by "file". "Upload" is translated by "send" and "total time" by "duration".

Original string doesn't matter, what matters is that the person using the translated application understands what they have in front of them.

Funchalense
Site Admin

Fri May 20, 2016 2:23 pm

Portuguese done. :)

EDIT : I have asked two admin of PT / BR if they can help make the translation to PT/BR.

vankasteelj

Fri May 20, 2016 2:29 pm

Huge thanks! It's already updated in the sources :) I'm trying to convince @SimplyTheBOSS to keep finnish translation, and my romanian guy is overbusy right now, but we already have 100% complete localization for:
- Dutch, French, Polish, Portuguese, Slovak, Spanish

Tell your friends, now is the time to translate :p

Return to “Programs using OS”