Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.

Do you like idea of Subdownloader?

Yes, it is excellent
90%
No, I will use website anyway
10%

Total votes: 312
willi78

Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:04 pm

Hi,
Today I downloaded and installed Subdownloader 2.0.5.1 and I tried to read patiently as possible through this topic - but somehow I didn't found what I was looking for.
Question:
1)can I upload subtitles stripped directly from an DVD source - I don't have an re-coded/compressed A/V file for those titles so Subdownloader won't be able to create an hash file for them (I guess!)?!
2)I uploaded some subtitles via OpenSubtitles-upload webpage (wich I like very much, simple and fast) - am I supposed to "re-upload" them with Subdownloader so they can be found through it (what brings me back to Q1!)?

I am simply trying to contribute by offering rare(er) subtitles to the comunity. If those stripped from an DVD work properly on an(y) compressed A/V file is an question for itself - but I sure hope so.
Great thanks to OpenSubtitles.org and the developers of Subdownloader - it looks really nice and seems to be quite simple , I hope to be able to use it.

eduo

Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:00 am

Hi,
Today I downloaded and installed Subdownloader 2.0.5.1 and I tried to read patiently as possible through this topic - but somehow I didn't found what I was looking for.
Question:
1)can I upload subtitles stripped directly from an DVD source - I don't have an re-coded/compressed A/V file for those titles so Subdownloader won't be able to create an hash file for them (I guess!)?!
2)I uploaded some subtitles via OpenSubtitles-upload webpage (wich I like very much, simple and fast) - am I supposed to "re-upload" them with Subdownloader so they can be found through it (what brings me back to Q1!)?

I am simply trying to contribute by offering rare(er) subtitles to the comunity. If those stripped from an DVD work properly on an(y) compressed A/V file is an question for itself - but I sure hope so.
Great thanks to OpenSubtitles.org and the developers of Subdownloader - it looks really nice and seems to be quite simple , I hope to be able to use it.
It's always interesting to have new subtitles coming over, especially for the rarer files (you can always have 50 different subtitles for Batman, but odded stuff like Shortbus get forgotten).

SubDownloader uploads subtitles that are matched against a video file. The hash is that of the video file, really. This creates a relationship so when someone searches by that same hash they'll find that subtitle matched.

If you're creating subtitles off original DVDs then you should only upload them through the web as they won't be matched against anything, really.

Other users may download them (by name) and match them against rips of those DVDs obtained in a different manner, and they might use subdownloader to match the subtitle with the videofile.

Now,SubDownloader doesn't (*shouldn't*) reupload a file that's already in the database. What it does is match the videofile's hash to the subtitle's hash (your subtitles have a hash as well as a videofile, and they'll keep that as long as they aren't changed).

So, by all means, keep uploading rarer subtitles through the web and, when you have a matching videofile (not the DVD files) then use subdownloader to either upload or match -same process in the program, labelled as "upload"- for others).
http://eduo.info/
[url=http://eduo.info/soleol/]OpenSubtitles from your desktop: SolEol for Mac/Windows/Linux[/url]
[url=http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php?showtopic=325&st=0&p=2480&#entry2480]My current episode processing work flow[/url].

willi78

Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:23 am

OK , thanks for Your reply eduo!
Then I'll have to wait to try/use Subdownloader till I fix some subtitle to match a speciffic A/V file.
Keep up Your great work!

oss
Site Admin

Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:44 am

just to add my 2 cents:
you can actually upload subtitles with subdownloader also with DVD files, just select first vob. Overall, you can pair subtitle file with _any_ file, so VOB is ok too. It depends only you, which file you select.

jugaor

Uploading a sub only with the video hash?

Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:44 pm

Hi, it's possible upload a sub without the original video (but its unique hash)?
The case: I uploaded a sub, reviewing the film two days after I found a typo, deleted the sub at the page, and want upload the fixed new version... but I remembered that the avi isn't the same as original (small video editing)...
Since I have the hash (obtained with OSCAR ;)), it's possible this operation with SubDownloader? (don't recommend me to re-download the first avi, please!)

TIA,
jugaor

oss
Site Admin

Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:02 pm

it is not possible upload subs without video using programs. You can upload subtitle using website, it will work fine and maybe after 2 days it will have hash - using hash cloning technique :) (but it clones only from enabled subtitles, if I remember). Anyway, if you edited video, nobody will have same version like you had, if you not spread it a lot :)

jugaor

Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:04 am

Then I'll upload it using website.
Thank you for your kind reply.

jugaor

willi78

Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:10 pm

Hi,
I just tried uploading subtitles with Subdownloader! This program is really nice and simple to use , I like it. But it uploaded my 2nd subtitle as anonymous although Subdownloader reported me to be logged in under my opensubtitles.org-user name. For the 3rd and 4th subtitle I uploaded , I restarted Subdownloader for each title and they uploaded fine.
To os , doesn't it diminish the purpose of Subdownloader if I upload a title (or even more of them) by hashing DVD VOB files - I rather understood Subdownloader to be of help by finding "the right" subtitle without any fuss for an specific compressed AV file (DivX;mpeg). I mean , I probably COULD hash an VOB , but I think I'm not supposed to because nobody else will actually have "that" VOB file - right?
Still have to try out Subdownloader in detail , but it already looks pretty good.

oss
Site Admin

Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:44 pm

your session was lost during upload, just report that subtitle (using website), and admins take care. Why is session lost - it should be during inactivity, or some connection problem with memcache (where are session stored).

for VOB - you are right, there are minimum chance some people will download srt for VOBs, but there is still chance, so you can use it, no problem, I think.

Also you should write to new subdownloader, I huess you are using 2.0.5.1

EVILDeath

Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:36 pm

The link to SubDownloader 1.2.9 in the top post is leading to a broken archive.

unimatrix00

Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:34 am

In addition to hash matching, would it be possible to match subtitles by video duration? The reason I'm asking is because I do my own DVD rips, as I imagine many people do, and hashing doesn't work there. Also, even with hashes, many movies still don't have entries.

When using movie duration, most if not all DVD rips would have the same duration regardless of the encoding Then, blu-ray rips may a different duration from DVD rips and that can get matched accordingly. Same with HDTV movies. Does that make sense?

EDIT: duration alone is obviously not good enough, so it would be name+duration (thanks mocofaco).
Last edited by unimatrix00 on Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

macofaco

Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:14 am

In addition to hash matching, would it be possible to match subtitles by video duration? The reason I'm asking is because I do my own DVD rips, as I imagine many people do, and hashing doesn't work there. Also, even with hashes, many movies still don't have entries.

When using movie duration, most if not all DVD rips would have the same duration regardless of the encoding Then, blu-ray rips may a different duration from DVD rips and that can get matched accordingly. Same with HDTV movies. Does that make sense?
Screenshot from Sublight database:

unimatrix00

Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:27 am

Yes of course, duration alone is not good enough; I forgot to mention that it should be name+duration.

gothicx

SubDownloader 2.0.9.3 for Windows/Linux is out

Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:07 pm

The new version 2.0.9.3 is now available for Windows and Linux.

Download it at https://launchpad.net/subdownloader/+download

fabhawk

Freeware Windows

Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:57 pm

Here is the link for the windows freeware :
http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4703178 ... ee_version

Unfortunatly from the official website only a shareware is available for windows.

Return to “Programs using OS”