Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.

Do you like idea of Subdownloader?

Yes, it is excellent
90%
No, I will use website anyway
10%

Total votes: 312
eduo

Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:12 am

So... Are there any updates to SubDownloader scheduled or has the project died?

And, if the project has indeed died, will OS keep on living or must I start looking elsewhere for my subtitle addiction?

JonesK

Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:19 pm

Is there a known bug about not finding subtitle with subdownloader when subtitle can be found from the site?
subs are zipped on the site, anything to do with that?

eduo

Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:28 pm

Is there a known bug about not finding subtitle with subdownloader when subtitle can be found from the site?
subs are zipped on the site, anything to do with that?
JonesK,

Subtitles are searched by using an algorithm that takes into account the size and contents of a video file. SubDownloader doesn't search using the file name. You can test this yourself renaming a video file for which SubDownloader can find subtitles. It'll keep finding the same subtitles because the name is not important.

This means that if people have uploaded subtitles but haven't linked them to specific video files then SubDownloader won't be able to see them, even if the movie name is the same.

In these cases you can right-click on the file in SubDownloader and tell it to look for name-based subtitles in the Website and then you'll see them (usually several options). You can download and try them and if any of them is correct then you should upload it with SubDownloader again, so you link it to the original and others can now find it more easily.

secretkeeper81

Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:36 pm

The program doesn't work for me on Windows XP. It crashes at startup.. what's wrong? I even tried disintalling it and reinstalling it from scratch, but no luck either.. :?

oss
Site Admin

Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:15 pm

without error log we can't say why it doesnt work. Read also FAQ for subdownloader (first page in this thread).

scowl

Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:01 pm

I used Subdownloader since 3 months.
And today i don't understand why i can't download anymore Subtitles :(.
Error after download the files .srt
Error Message is about XMLRPC Protocol i think, but the site isn't down no?

Error is :
XMLRPC error downloading id= (a number probably, i suppose the ID in your database?).

I can download them on the website but i wanted show this minor error of this nice program.
If any other solutions found, i will be happy to know them xD.

oss
Site Admin

Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:21 am

we changed a download routine a little bit, now everythingshould work like before, am I correct ?

chavlji

Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:27 pm

I get the same error message at startup:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "SubDownloader.py", line 396, in ?
File "wx\_core.pyo", line 7748, in __init__
File "wx\_core.pyo", line 7345, in _BootstrapApp
File "SubDownloader.py", line 368, in OnInit
File "SubDownloader.py", line 105, in LoadPreferences
File "SubDownloader.py", line 177, in ChooseInitialLanguage
ValueError: list.index(x): x not in list
How can I fix this? Im using WinXP SP2.

oss
Site Admin

Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:34 am

I really wish I could help, but I am not python programmer. For all users - if you use windows, switch to OSCAR, for everyone else - we have to be patient :(

eduo

Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:14 am

Guys... Is there a problem with the xmlrpc interface? I can't connect now anymore with 1.2.9. I'm not sure why this could be but I get an "error logging XMLRPC"

dbaalborg

Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:06 pm

Too bad it seems that we'll never see SubDownloader version 2.0.... Snif Snif...

eduo

Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:28 pm

Or 1.3, for that matter.

I made a very quick and dirty sub downloader in RealBasic to see how it could work. I just managed to do the first part and then we had a baby and I haven't been able to work on it. Currently it's in the same state as before (that is: This is the first version that compiled without errors).

http://eduo.hopto.org/~eduo/hdp/

And this here is the reason I haven't kept working on it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/eduo/sets/ ... 278274290/

I hope to be able to get some time and keep working on it but deep down I'd really like for a new version of SubDownloader to come out. Something I realized doing this little program is that it's not easy to make a working interface for this type of program. Especially if you don't want to blatantly copy SD.

dbaalborg

Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:39 pm

Congratulations for your baby, she looks very nice! I understand you don't have so much time, I myself just got married, and I know that your geek time gets reduced a lot.

I'll take a look at your RealBasic "clone" of SD a bit later. I would be happy to take over the SD project myself, but I really don't have the time to do it... Too bad!

++ dbaalborg

evgeni99

Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:09 pm

Overall the program is fine, however from time to time when you upload subs through it, it will not recgonize you as the uploader, but simply will say anonymous.

This also ALWAYS happens when you upload two consecutive subs within the same day (the second sub will always appear as anonymous).

Hope someone can direct me to the problem.

eduo

Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:55 pm

The problem is (please correct me if I'm wrong) that SubDownloader validates only upon login. The session has a timeout. If you have it opened it will lose the session (you can download without a session, and if you upload without one it'll show as "anonymous").

So, to upload subtitles and have them appear as yours, it's a good idea to always close subdownloader and open it again, so your session is fresh.

I've completed part of a program that downloads subtitles and working through the subtitle upload I've found this, so I'll try to make it so the session is refreshed at half the timeout.

Return to “Programs using OS”