Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
James

shareware

Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:38 pm

The OPENsubtitles flagship program for money?

I use 1.2.9 (with store hash) because I can paste Dir path into inputbox, but this choice is very bad. It will reduce uploaded subtitles with hash IMO.
Do good things, and good things happen to you
[img]http://homel.vsb.cz/~spi057/userbar.gif[/img]

oss
Site Admin

Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:52 pm

I think capiscuas is just experimenting. I think it will be not shareware after some time, we will see, it is his decision, I cannot make any difference on that.

macofaco

Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:49 pm

If it will not be shareware in future what will be with people who payed for it?

oss
Site Admin

Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:19 am

I don't know. Maybe they can feel better, if they know they support a little bit developing. 5 USD/EUR is really funny price :)

We will see whats going on.

Barbuch

Help

Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:02 pm

How nice, when I want to open my srt file and translate or corect my subtitles, it opens in subdownloader program, so I can't do anything with it in text format. Can somebody help me get out of this? Thank you. :evil:

Barbuch

Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:05 pm

I have to go from TotalCommander to My Computer and open it with Open in programme. But if I'd like to stay by using TotComand? :cry:

Barbuch

Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:11 pm

And last questionor comment. I registered recently nad when I want to login i subdownloader, it writes me some error in connection or what. So my first subtitles released ever are released by "anonymous". Thanks for Your answers and advices. :idea:

powerleakin

Re: Help

Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:54 pm

How nice, when I want to open my srt file and translate or corect my subtitles, it opens in subdownloader program, so I can't do anything with it in text format. Can somebody help me get out of this? Thank you. :evil:
Hi. Right click on the .txt/srt file and click "Open with" and then click "Choose Program". Select notepad or any other app that you are using to correct your subs. To make this application the primary(default) application to open the .txt/srt files, check the option "Always use selected program to open this kind of file". If you don't want to make it the default app, uncheck the box. The next time you want to use that app, just right click and Open with will remember the program.

Regards,
Mahen

that is right. It's like an experiment, we'll see the aceptance of the people. The program is and it will always be open sourced, linux and mac versions are not sharewared of course neither, and running the program form sources neither.

No law says that you cannot get money from open source programs.

After few months of experiment we will consider about keeping ,changing the price or deleting the shareware limitation which after 30 days makes the program inactive until you register for a license key.
Hi capiscuas. I believe one of the main success of this program was due to it being freeware and open-source. I hope the software will remain in the spirit of the open source project. Since the past few months,I've reverted back to v1.2.9 because of this. As others have pointed out earlier, there will be great negative impact on the development of this software if it really becomes shareware. I hope you will think about this.

b4nd0ler0

This really pisses me off

Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:12 pm

I donated a few euros to the developers of subdownloader thinking it wass a common free-gratis and free-open source project but seeing now that they're trying to charge people for using the prog I'm very pissed off and will not pay for it, when it expires i'll stop using it altogether. At the end of the day is the users who are uploading the content.

Adios,

A very pissed off :evil: user.

oss
Site Admin

Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:22 am

I believe and I hope capiscuas will release next version as freeware, he knows about these issues.

powerleakin

Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:21 pm

yea...keeping my fingers crossed... :)

kotekzot

Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:38 am

making an open-source application shareware is just silly. at most you'll get some uninformed people to pay you while putting off the competent users. i find it insulting that somebody would expect me to pay rather than donate for an open-source app.

capiscuas

Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:55 pm

The license is only for the WINDOWS binaries, I'm using Linux and I don't have to pay anything, I have the code all the time with me so I'm free to modify it or distribute as it says the GPL freedom.

Windows users can also run the code from sources and won't see any 30days limitation. But if you want everything that easy, there is people here that has make a extra effort to make this application work in the propietary OS of Windows and we just put the limitation to get a revenue from our extra efforts. I don't see where is the crime. You guys gladly paid for your windows license when you bought your laptop and it's not even open source software, that's insulting to me.

Best Regards.

fabhawk

Paying windows version

Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:03 pm

Hi,

I have difficulties to understand why you made the windows version shareware (30 days). Moreover, I always contribute by a donation to software I am using, but here, the price is really excessive to my view. I was requested to pay 21 Euros !!!
Where the full version of BitChe (similar audience software), is 5 USD...

I also use to upload a lot of subtitles to contribute to the software and enrich the database. I found it very weird to have to pay for that.

I know you are going to answer me either to use another OS, but I am not going to do so just for one software, even if it is very good.
You could also answer that I could compile myself the program unfortunatly, I don't know how to do that...

Well, I am very interested in having your answer.

Anyway thanks for your work on the great software, and for now I stick with version 1.5.1

Best regards
F

PhobosK

Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:21 pm

> I also use to upload a lot of subtitles to contribute to the software and enrich the database.
> I found it very weird to have to pay for that.

@FabHawk,
Sorry but i just want to make a clarification. This program uses a totally independent and free service on the opensubtitles.org.
So you have not contributed to this exact software but to the community, which should be a good thing for you to know.

BTW probably you will not get a decent answer on your main question by the developer... :S

If you want to change the software you use for downloading subtitles (using the same database you have contributed to) you may check this link and test some of the real open source applications: http://trac.opensubtitles.org/projects/opensubtitles

If you insist on using this one, I will prepare it for you to be used free of charge (since the code is GPL'd it is ok for me to do it :) )

And btw you may read my opinion on all this here: http://answers.launchpad.net/subdownloa ... tion/52299

Return to “Programs using OS”