Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
eduo

SolEol - download/upload subs for Win, OSX, Linux

Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:40 am

Hello all,

I've been using my own program for downloading subtitles from OS for a while now, and I thought I could share it for others to use.

UPDATED: 2011-07-17: (doesn't look like it, but it's a Beta) 1.1: Get it at SolEol's Twitter account or directly as SolEol's home
The files for SolEol are available for Macintosh Intel and PPC, Linux and Windows here:

http://eduo.info/soleol/

It's a work in progress and, since I was doing it for myself, it has a simplistic interface geared at my own needs.

At the moment it does just one thing right: It downloads subtitles against video files and shares subtitles with OpenSubtitles for other users.

Remember this is an ongoing beta. The idea is to report problems (ideally through Twitter, the apps' built-in bug reporting functionality or even in this forum).

This version includes the capability to drag & drop over the application icon, contextual menus for movies and subtitles to report bad subs, send comments or search for the sub in other sites (currently PodNapisy is supported). It also avoids a problem in OS by preselecting and preferring properly named subtitles, to avoid downloading incorrect matches and it should also allow you to preview subtitles before downloading them. It has infrastructure for a lot more things but, at the moment, some of them can't be done without support from the OpenSubtitles side (like TV series support).

Please, remember to upload subtitles you find through other means when SolEol can't find them automatically, so other users can benefit from it.

Text from my original web (OUTDATED):

SolEol has been an ongoing pet project of mine to automate some tasks I do routinely regarding subtitle download and other video treatment.

I've been asked to share what I had and after some quick clean-up I've made just that. I've disabled the screens I know would be just too buggy for general use and focused on subtitle download alone.

The tool has been designed on an Intel Mac, and there are also versions for PPC Mac, Linux (with GTK+) Windows as well. I haven't tested in those so I'd appreciate comments on how it looks in them.

--Download SolEol (Alpha version, use at your own risk)--
  • SolEol Mac OS X (Universal): (ZIP)
  • SolEol Linux (ZIP)
  • SolEol Windows(ZIP)
--Step 0--
These alpha versions may re-create your preferences, as the format still isn't set. Select at least your preferred language and enter your OpenSubtitles username and password, if you have them. A link in the preferences window allows you to create them if you don't.

Once your preferences are set you can either click on the box or drop a group of files or folders in the dropbox.

--Step 1--
Drag & drop as many movie files or folders as you want in the dropbox. The application will search in every subfolder and pick every suitable file. Only the filenames will be shown so it's important that they are named properly.

The application will automatically add known video formats for searching. You can add more files or folders to the dropbox above or use the "Choose..." button to select individual files (alt-click will allow you to select whole folders).

Keep in mind that the servers don't support searching more than a few hundred subtitles per session.

--Step 2--
Press the "Search Subtitles" button and SolEol will try and find subtitles for your movies. If there are more than one it will try to select the best one for you. If you already have it (and have checked the appropriate option in the preferences) it will let you know if you already have the best option by showing it in italics. If there is a better option it will be selected and the old one replaced.

Note that subtitles already present will be flagged with a green checkmark. Subtitles with the wrong name (without language identifier) will be flagged and corrected with a green plus sign. You'll only have the option of checking subtitles you can actually download.

Press the "Get Checked Subtitles" to automatically download, uncompress and rename the subtitles in the same location as the original files.

The program auto-selects what it believes is the best subtitle taking into the account the number of times it's been downloaded, the votes it's received and its freshness. You shouldn't need to change the automatic selection.

NOTES:
  • Movie files without available subtitles will be deleted from the results list.
  • This is a work in progress and, as such, things may break unexpectedly. Please report back any bugs you find.
Use the comments below for bug reports and suggestions, for the moment.

--- HDP ---
HdP was a proof-of-concept of SolEol and does most of the subtitle downloading. The software is currently disabled but I may re-enable it as a simpler version of the software.

--Download Obsolete HdP
HdP Mac
HDP Linux
HDP Windows
Last edited by eduo on Fri May 01, 2009 5:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
http://eduo.info/
[url=http://eduo.info/soleol/]OpenSubtitles from your desktop: SolEol for Mac/Windows/Linux[/url]
[url=http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php?showtopic=325&st=0&p=2480&#entry2480]My current episode processing work flow[/url].

eduo

Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:05 pm

Somehow I expected at least one reply on this. I would really like to have some feedback. I'll add this to the subject to see if anyone's willing to give an opinion.

oss
Site Admin

Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:41 am

I've tried it, it runs under windows XP :) I understand, you are learning real basic, and it is really good way how to learn some language.

I will add it also to trac, uploading is quite important ofcourse, and please enable all languages in searching.

for language detection - I can add this to XMLRPC, but I think it is not so good idea, better is to have on client side.
It is not a big deal to support this, maybe I will add this, but it has low priority. I have idea how to do that input: $array('md5_of_subtitle_file' => base64(gzencoded_5000bytes_of_subtitle_file), ...), output: $array('md5_of_subtitle_file' => iso639, ...)

eduo

Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:28 am

There are executables for Mac, Linux and Windows. The Windows one should run in XP and above. I don't know about earlier versions, as I don't really target any specific one.

About the language, I mention it because it's not implementable in realbasic unless I create it manually on my own. There's no library I can pick up and use. I'd like for this to exist because otherwise the OS database can start getting dirty with incorrect languages for subs. My idea was that a language of "unknown" could be chosen and then OS would classify afterwards using the library internally.

I probably won't make another release until subtitle upload works, as the download already does and there's quite a lot of things that should happen before.

oss
Site Admin

Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:29 pm

yes, upload is really needed :) also for language detect - I dicussed this with Majky - Oscar creator - in Delphi doesnt exists any library too. But believe me, it is really easy to code, you have all sources in php, so it is not hard write that in any other language.

Also don't forget automatic detection doesnt work 100%. It should only help to user, and user should confirm, if that language is ok (95% should be ok).

keep on doing nice job!

jdelectro

Sat May 03, 2008 8:15 pm

Hello, thanks for your program!
It has supplied my need to download subs, since subdownloader doesn't work for me, and i no longer use the gnome scripts (i'm now on xfce).
It works great. It Doesn't bother about anything and it's snappy as everything in this desktop.
There are some suggestions, too.
1. Make a help menu with an about box, and a link for your page, to seek for an updated version!
2. The edit menu. Can't figure out how/when to use it.
3. Rename subs according to movie file.

I hope you get to work on it. i like it very much. Please don't abandon it! It may be greater than Subdownloader!

eduo

Sun May 04, 2008 12:01 am

I haven't abandoned it but I have made it a hobby to rewrite it every now and then. I have probably made four vesions after the one I posted here but all of them are finished halfway.

I was thinking of restarting again these days.

About SubDownloader yes, it's a shame it's been forgotten in favor of Oscar. Oscar is a very good program (VERY good) but it's Windows-Specific and even if I could run it under virtualisation I consciously not use it. I didn't like when it went Windows-only, even if the final product is fantastic (again, it IS fantastic, that's not the problem).

I'll re-release this when I have get it done again, which should be soon. I've decided to re-release it when I get the following working:

-Hash-Based Subtitle download (done)
-Filename-Based Subtitle download (halfway)

-Subtitle Upload (not done, I can't implement automatic language detection)
-TV Episode Upload (not done, OpenSubtitles hasn't implemented TV episodes yet)

-Movie renaming (halfway done)
-TV Episode renaming (not done, waiting for OpenSubtitles)

I could do a lot more, but I'm currently deciding if I stop searching for solutions in OpenSubtitles or start looking for alternatives. The TV Episode for me at the moment is a dealbreaker because 90% of what I use this for is precisely that.

The version you have is very bare-bones:

-The menu doesn't do anything. It's added by default and I haven't removed it.
-The help menu is missing. The program wasn't really near-finished.
-The subs should be renamed upon download. I know they do in Windows and Mac. I would ask what version you've got but I haven't even put that in.

If you wonder why the sorry state of the program it's because I really never thought of releasing it. When I posted here and didn't receive any feedback I lost steam and kept developing for myself. So thanks for the note, it was very unexpected. I'll get my act together :)

eduo

Mon May 05, 2008 12:51 am

FYI.

I have uploaded the latest version of HdP, which I consider to be the last until I get the ball rolling in the newer version. I've decided to start working on it even if I don't have all the features in place yet.

The first will obviously to replicate the current functionality allowing to download subtitles. Then I'll see about the rest.

Thanks for piquing me into doing this again. It felt nice.

jdelectro

Sat May 17, 2008 7:52 pm

You're welcome!
And thanks for the new version. The new help items add somo more "identity" to the app.
I'm currently using it as my main subtitle downloadd application, since no others work.
You should really work on it. no matter if no one gives u feedback. it'll come with time as the application progresses. And you should release the source so other people can help u.

Good luck!

eduo

Sat May 17, 2008 11:04 pm

I could release the source but it's done in RealBasic and that doesn't really lend itself to open projects. It generates a single file, is compiled with a commercial IDE and projects usually require commercial plug-ins.

I probably will make it available of milestones I create but I don't think it'll be useful to anyone.

eduo

Fri May 01, 2009 2:38 pm

Changing the description, I'm adding here the original text for safekeeping:
How it works:

Step 1: Select files and create hashes:

Before you add the files you want to search subtitles for you can check the "Automate" checkbox to all the steps automatically and "Ignore Existing" if you want to re-download better subtitles than you might already have.

Open SolEol and Drag files or folders onto "Download Subtitles"the main area or use the "x/-" buttons to add files (alt-+ adds whole folders). Depending on what you drop it may take a while to respond to user input again. This is because I haven't put any kind of threading or progress indicator.

You can also select the language of the subtitles to download (currently I have made available only english and spanish but I can expand it. Again, this is what I needed).

If you didn't check "Ignore Existing" then you may notice some files have "checkmarks" beside them while others have crosses. This means the program has pre-checked those files from your library that don't have subtitles and marked them for further work.

Step 2: Search for subtitles in OpenSubtitles.org

Click on the "Search Subtitles" button. After a while (remember, no progress bar, but errors will be reported back) the listing will be replaced by a similar one, where all those files checked in the previous step will be shown with the subtitle options available in OpenSubtitles.org and the "best" available subtitle will be already pre-selected. This process doesn't take a long time but really depends on the amount of files to check and the state of OpenSubtitles.org. The program will always try to report back with errors in the database, if there are any.

You may want to select a different subtitle option or deselect the preselected one.

Step 3: Download the subtitles

Once you've selected the subtitles you want to download you can press the "Get Subtitles" button. All the files you've selected will be downloaded and the subtitle placed in the same location as the original video file, but with the language and subtitle format as extensions.

For example. If you had selected "Torchwood 1x01 - Everything Changes.avi" then the subtitle might be "Torchwood 1x01 - Everything Changes.en.srt" for an english SRT file or "Torchwood 1x01 - Everything Changes.es.smi" for a spanish SMI file.

If there's an error downloading the subtitle or decompressing it you might notice zero-size files instead of subtitles.

How is the "Best subtitle" pre-selected from the results?: At the moment it's selected by picking the highest-rated subtitle in OpenSubtitles.org. If two have the same rating then the one with the most downloads is picked.

This is not the best way to select the "best" subtitle, as a single using voting a subtitle with "10" would have more weight than 100 users voting "9" on another. But I'm working through this to get a better way to pre-select.

In the future I plan to add the following:

1.-Support for uploading subtitles
I need support for remotely detecting language in subtitles in OpenSubtitles itself.

2.-Search subtitles for files not found through hash
First part is to look by IMDBID if returned in step 2. Second part is to search by name. Can't be done until step 4 below is ready in OpenSubtitles.

3.-Support for rating subtitles
Not existing in the XMLRPC at the moment. Don't want to use a web scraper.

4.-Support for renaming files to their "proper" names
Needs TV Series Support in OpenSubtitles to be useful for me.

5.-Automatic subscription to RSS feeds of TV Shows, download of .torrent files and redirect to torrent program.

What this program won't do:

1.-Use other places to download subtitles.
I tried wikisubtitles.net but they won't allow API access to their subs and their pages are unparseable. They would provide an excellent solution if they were to strike a deal with OpenSubtitles but it is my understanding they're not willing to do it.

2.-Download video files.

3.-Edit or convert subtitle formats.

For any questions, please use this thread. Obviously the program is limited to the limits imposed by the OpenSubtitles API and its availability.

OS: I posted this here but maybe it could be cross-posted to "Developing". What do you think?

NOTE: This version of the program won't run after June 1st. Newer versions won't have the same limitation but it REALLY is a work in progress.
[url=http://eduo.info/soleol/]OpenSubtitles from your desktop: SolEol for Mac/Windows/Linux[/url]
[url=http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php?showtopic=325&st=0&p=2480&#entry2480]My current episode processing work flow[/url].

oss
Site Admin

Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:35 am

hi Eduo,

is possible, you will change text for upload subtitles?

now is there "Drop Subtitle Files to share with others". What it means? If I will put there "subtitle.srt" only? and in same directory I will have 1.avi and 2.avi ? or...?

I think, much more better is to change it "Drop Subtitle file with Movie file to share with others"...

I am still little confused with upload...

eduo

Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:33 pm

hi Eduo,

is possible, you will change text for upload subtitles?

now is there "Drop Subtitle Files to share with others". What it means? If I will put there "subtitle.srt" only? and in same directory I will have 1.avi and 2.avi ? or...?

I think, much more better is to change it "Drop Subtitle file with Movie file to share with others"...

I am still little confused with upload...
You shouldn't need to drop movie files along with moviefiles. The program should pick up if there are movie files named like the subtitle (I believe it could also upload files without a movie, as long as the user specifies which movie it is, I'm not sure right now).

oss
Site Admin

Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:58 pm

yes I see, but in next window, how I can know, program selected right movie ? I think program cut extension, so I see some file, but I can't know it is "my" movie.

If it can not find movie file, it should ask user. If user drops 2 files, 1st is movie, 2nd is subtitle, it should link them and in then show movie filename and subtitle filename.

eduo

Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:35 pm

yes I see, but in next window, how I can know, program selected right movie ? I think program cut extension, so I see some file, but I can't know it is "my" movie.

If it can not find movie file, it should ask user. If user drops 2 files, 1st is movie, 2nd is subtitle, it should link them and in then show movie filename and subtitle filename.
Ah, I see.

One thing I want to achieve with SolEol is a simple, minimalistic application. I will actively avoid putting too many options in it. For that the program needs to make certain assumptions.

These assumptions are based in what I believe is the best way to organize files. This also maybe can help users, especially n00bs, organize themselves a little better dealing with these files, since it can all become a bit unwieldy.

So, when you download subtitles you're not given the option of a name but will always use the movie's name. And you won't get an option of including the language, it will always add it.

When uploading subtitles it has several other assumptions, but the main ones are: If there's a movie then the subtitle is named like the movie, exactly (allowing only for a language mid extension like name.en.srt or name.es.sub).

If no movie is present with the same name then it won'r upload the subtitle without a hash match (but will ask for an IMDBid to upload unmatched). If a movie is present but the moviehash is not then it will ask for the IMDB and upload the match and the subtitle if missing. It should also report in tooltips whether the sub is linked or not.

I don't intend SolEol to be everything for everybody. I intend it to be just enough for the majority. I know lots of people would say "but if you add this bit then you can benefit more people" and I'd like to say I will look into it, but I don't think I will. SolEol is a tool to simplify things for people that have simple needs. When users start deviating more and more from the norm then I can assume they can find better tools than this anyway.

Something I don't support in SolEol is having a separate directory for subs than where the movie is. I have yet to see a sizeable chunk of users using it and adding the support would complicate things up for the majority that doesn't need it (more options, more preferences, more buttons, more icons). I might add an indicator on whether the movie is linked to a movie file or not, but I'll have to consider it.

Again, SolEol is not a tool for advanced users. It's something to streamline and simplify handling those files people now have to deal with. It's especifically designed to be underpowered for power users.

Return to “Programs using OS”