Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
ellars

What do I do with downloaded Txt files?

Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:35 pm

how do I convert them to srt or sub files. I can't get ConvertXtoDVD to incorportate text files from this site into the movie.

Also, some files (srt) come in 2CDs: is there any simple way of adapting/editing/merging them, or the video file so that they will work for the 1CD video file version?

Anthony

giannid

Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:32 pm

Just change the extension from .txt to .sub or .srt, whichever applies.

Make sure you have your computer set to show extensions

Show File Extensions:

1. Double-click the My Computer icon from the Desktop.

2. Click the Tools menu and select "Folder Options..." from the menu that appears.

3. Click the View tab.

4. Uncheck the "Hide file extensions for known file types" check box. (To uncheck a check box, just click it.)

5. Click OK.

giannid

Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:42 pm

To merge 2 subtitle files into one, you have to resynch the 2nd subtitle and then add it to the 1st subtitle.

Name the video file and 2nd subtitle the same and open the subtitle file with SubtitleWorkshop.

Go to the time point where the 1st subtitle file (CD1) ends and then look for the first subtitle line of the 2nd file (CD2).

Note down the difference between what SubtitleWorkshop gives as the time when the 2nd subtitle should start and what time it has originally, (e.g. 55m12s300ms).

Hit CTRL+D and adjust every subtitle by the time difference (e.g. 55m12s300ms). There is the option to delay every subtitle as opposed to only one or selected subtitles.

Save File

Now open the newly-adjusted 2nd subtitle file (CD2) with notepad.

Hit CTRL+A to select all
Hit CTRL+C to copy

Now open the CD1 subtitle with notepad, scroll down to the bottom, click on the area just below the last subtitle line.

Hit CTRL+V to paste the adjusted lines from CD2 into the end of the CD1 file.

Save the subtitle file as the name you want to name your video.

Now open the new joined subtitle file again with SubtitleWorkshop. This will renumber correctly the subtitle lines.

Save File

Rename your video to match new subtitle.

That's it!

ixquic

Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:56 pm

There's a Polish group that names all their .sub (MicroDVD) subtitles as *.txt . They also use a slash instead of formatting tags such as {y:i} to mark italics, which may be a workaround for some subtitle editors that strip formatting. But I see no reason for the .txt extension, and I'm really glad that for example OSCAR refuses to support it.

turbos10

Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:14 pm

There's a Polish group that names all their .sub (MicroDVD) subtitles as *.txt . They also use a slash instead of formatting tags such as {y:i} to mark italics, which may be a workaround for some subtitle editors that strip formatting. But I see no reason for the .txt extension, and I'm really glad that for example OSCAR refuses to support it.
All polish subtitles have txt extension. If oscar don’t support it polish user don’t use it.

turbos10

Re: What do I do with downloaded Txt files?

Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:16 pm

how do I convert them to srt or sub files. I can't get ConvertXtoDVD to incorportate text files from this site into the movie.
Use SubEdit Player and convert it. Or rename file extension using total commander.

Return to “General talk”