Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
ixquic

wikisubtitles.net and Open Subtitle Translator

Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:48 am

Jonpagecr wrote in blog comment:
Question:
Why not join this community with this great (and new) community
http://www.wikisubtitles.net/

And, i thing also join to this open software: http://sourceforge.net/projects/opensub/
It looks promising to me. The site is very Spanish-centric and the UI is not very appealing or comfortable, but that can change. The important thing is that it is a wiki, it has a versioning system and everybody can join. So goodbye to jealousy-driven closed subber groups, and goodbye to websites that try to emulate version control over a bulletin board.

The software, Open Subtitle Translator, looks like an open-source clone of Subtitleworkshop, which is nice because it makes it possible to fix all those bugs that make Subtitleworkshop unusable and won't be fixed there: Unicode support, butchering of formatting tags, ...

The real innovation is that it's collaborative and integrated with the website.

OK, I haven't tried out much yet and maybe I'm expecting too much, but I think it addresses a need. There are so many unfinished subtitles here, or old ones with errors that should be deleted because a better version is out. Also it's frustrating to upload an almost complete subtitles file with just some gaps where I didn't understand the words, and then hundreds of people download it but nobody tries to fill in the gaps. It would be great to have some tools for sharing the work with everybody who wants to contribute a few lines.

I don't know if opensubtitles and wikisubtitles can be "joined" as Jonpagecr suggests. But maybe link to it? Encourage people to post their subtitles there first, if they feel they need some help with them?

oss
Site Admin

Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:51 am

yes I agree with you, and I will think about that.
Also I need wikisubtitles needs to be multilanguage (at least english), so other translators should use it. Maybe they needs some time to tidy up those things.

For now, it looks to me as very beta-stage :)

ixquic

Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:06 pm

very beta-stage :)
You're right about that. After looking into it, I'm less enthusiastic now. The interface is a kludge, it has disconnected areas with separate logins, and it's not really localized - there's not even a language switch. They also have a spam problem...

When people make the wrong design decisions in the beginning, it gets increasingly hard to refactor, so maybe it will never improve. But let's hope it will.

Apparently the site has been up for 6 months. Is anybody here using it? I'm curious about the server/client function in the software. Apparently it's for distributed editing of a subtitles file. Do you connect to the site or is it a peer-to-peer thing? I haven't been able to find out because there's no manual, and hitting "help" crashes it.

I found another similar site: subtitlescommunity.com - they have a "google translate" button! Now I know where all those strange translations come from... Just kidding. But when I need a dictionary, I'll use a dictionary and not some machine translation.

Return to “General talk”