Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
Winkyboy

Problems with Cyrillic letters

Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:34 pm

SO, after mining the forums for instructions on how to get it all up & running, I've GOT subtitling working on my system... using the files named correctly (i.e. MOVIE.avi and MOVIE.srt) plus VobSub putting the subtitles into the movie (played through Windows Media Player).

However, my problem is that I'm trying to get Russian subtitling to work, and the cyrillic lettering is coming up as funky lettering. (the stuff that anyone familiar with cyrillic has seen a hundred times). Does anyone know how to fix that? Do I need a Russian version of WMP?

I'd test out bsplayer, but I'm not willing to put known adware on my system for the free version, and while willing to purchase the full version, I don't even know if it'd solve my problem.

Thanks to anyone for the tips --

skurakai

Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:20 pm

It is problem WMP not a subtitles. You must set subtitles for your language (eg Bulgarian, Russian). There isnt something as charset in html :) it is only text and you must set Font (middle europe, west europe, cyrilic, ...)

8)

Winkyboy

Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:33 pm

The only place in WMP that I can find related to language is in the DVD tab of the options; there's a language popup and within that I can choose "Russian" as my default option; but it doesn't do anything. Is that what you were talking about, skurakai?

skurakai

Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:18 pm

If you have problem with WMP try another player (as BSPlayer, ...) It isnt problem with your subtitles. It is WMP problem (try microsoft helpline - i cant help - sorry)

Return to “General talk”