Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
makhnovitch

how to MAKE subtitle files ???

Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:19 pm

i have a lot of old school italian horror flicks that need some subs!
they don't seem to exist so i have to create them myself.. BUT HOW CAN I DO THAT?? if anyone knows, thx in advance..

SoniKalien

Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:40 am

Get Subtitle Workshop from Urusoft if you want to create and edit subtitles by hand.

ixquic

subcreator

Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:30 am

The problem with Subtitle Workshop is that it doesn't handle style tags (<i>, <b>) properly - it often formats the whole line instead of only what is enclosed by the tag. Another problem (not with Italian) is that it doesn't speak unicode. Also, it's a bit unintuitive and forces you to switch between keyboard and mouse all the time because some basic hotkeys are missing. On the other hand, what I really like in Subtitle Workshop is the translation mode (parallel view of original subs and your translation).

I've found SubCreator to be much easier and faster for creating subtitles from scratch. It's also easier to learn. I use it in 2 passes: first, type in the subs along with the movie (pausing when needed); second, hit CTRL-A for every line to create the timecodes. Now just export to SRT and you're done.

Return to “General talk”