Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
flairangel1

How to merge to srt. subtitles in to one

Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:37 am

Hi guys, could anybody help me please. How can I merge two srt. subs into one. I downloaded slovenien subs for James Clavell´ Shogun but for each episode there are two subs instead of one like in any other language, so I wondered, how to get them together.

pmcallister

Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:21 pm

I don't know about everyone else, but I use a program called SubtitleEdit (you can find it at http://www.nikse.dk/se/) which allows me to join and split. Although I only use it for those (time-tweaking) purposes.

For time adjustment, subtitle development and format switching, I use SubCreator (http://www.divx-digest.com/software/subcreator.html).

Why do I complicate my life with two different programs instead of one for everything? Easy. I like SubCreator better; it's the one I want to use all the time... but it sucks at joining and splitting, which is what you want to do, so you'll probably prefer the first one.

Regards,
Peter

giannid

Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:10 am

Here's what I do.

I open up the first subtitle with notepad and scroll all the way down just to see how long it is. That gives me a reference point in the video file to look for where the second subtitle file should begin. Remember at what point in the film the 1st subtitle ends.

Then name the second .srt subtitle file the same name as the .avi file and put them in the same folder.

Then open that (2nd) subtitle file with SubtitleWorkshop. It should load the video automatically.

Now go to the time in the film where the second subtitle should begin. This is usually around the length of the 1st subtitle. So look for the first words of the second subtitle. When you find the point in the film where the 2nd subtitle begins, write down the time when the words appear in the film.

Let's say it's 45m23s800ms. That's where the 2nd subtitle should begin, but let's say that your 2nd subtitle file begins at something like 1m20s800ms. Therefore you need to add the difference in time to every subtitle line in that file. The difference is 44m03s000ms.

Now hit CTRL+D. This will bring up the delay option.

Input delay every subtitle by 44 minutes and 03 seconds. You may have to do some fine tuning, like adjusting the delay again by +/- 500ms so that the subtitle comes in right as the person speaks.

Then save the .srt file (Save)

Now open the newly saved 2nd subtitle file with notepad. Hit CTRL+A which will select all. Then copy the highlighted text (Right Click + Copy).

Now open the first subtitle file again, scroll to the bottom of the file to just under the the last subtitle line.

Now paste into the bottom of subtitle 1 the text you copied from subtitle 2.

Click SAVE

Now your new subtitle 1 is merged with subtitle 2 with the correct lines, however you need to open the new merged subtitle file again with SubtitleWorkshop. This will allow SubtitleWorkshop to renumber the subtitles correctly. Click Save again.

Now you should have a good merged subtitle file for your video.

SubtitleWorkshop: http://www.urusoft.net/downloads.php

flairangel1

Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:10 pm

Thanks guys. Giannid I allready thought of that, but I didn´t know, if this is gona work, thanks.

ixquic

Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:51 pm

one more method, using subresync that comes with the good old VSFilter tools by Gabest:

- open CD1 subtitle file with subresync (if it's a .sub, select the right framerate in the "Fps" field)
- in the edit window, click on "Open..."
- in the "Open" window, select CD2 subtitle file
- check "Append at..." and enter the length of CD1
- click on "Open" to append
- if you still need to correct the times for CD2, edit the timecode for the first subtitle of CD2, then right-click on the circle (left of the timecode) until it changes to a red downwards triangle
- "Save as..." name of joined subtitle file

CAVEAT: like subtitleworkshop, subresync doesn't handle formatting correctly. I've seen so many good subtitles mangled because of these bugs and I have no idea why they don't fix them.
Workaround: I always escape the html tags (<i>, <b>) in .srt files by replacing all "<" with "{" before editing, and unescape them afterwards. (Of course if the subtitles contain "{"s, use some other character or string.)

Return to “General talk”