Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
Flippit

Subtitles only for non-English parts?

Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:06 am

I am so glad to have found this site - I was trying to watch a DivX version of Syriana, without subtitles. (There is a lot of Farsi spoken in the movie) I was able to watch my movie (using subtitles from this site and VLC to render them), but I find subtitles very distracting when English is being spoken!

Is there any way to get hold of subtitles that only appear when a language other than English is spoken? Or, if not, how do I modify existing subtitles to do this?

Thanks!

giannid

Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:14 am

Hard subs are subtitles that are burned into the film for the foreign dialog parts. So, you should look for the english hard subs if they exist.

ixquic

Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:17 pm

Hardsubs are generally a bad idea, because they cover part of the picture in a destructive way, and they're virtually not extractable, editable or removable. (SubRip has an option to extract hardsubs but it's still in a very early stage, it's easier to copy them by hand.)

Also hardsubs could be anything, there's no guarantee that they're only for the foreign-language parts.

If you find vobsubs for the movie (bitmapped subtitles that come as *.idx + *.sub, or *.idx + *.rar, around 1-3 MiB big), chances are that they have two English tracks, and one of them contains only the so-called forced subtitles from the DVD. These are generally for the foreign-language parts only.

There should be more fields for tagging subtitles on opensubtitles. In addition to forced, there's also things like: with song lyrics/karaoke, Hearing Impaired (aka captions, with sounds and some speakers' names), automatic translation, etc. It's hard to find them if the only way to tag a subtitle file is the comments field.

Return to “General talk”