Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
Charbax

Automatic Subtitle Translation software (> Google Transla

Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:06 am

Hi, I am searching for Automatic Subtitles Translation software. Thus far I found SubtitleCreator, which worked great until after the first successfull translation, then it seems Google Translate bans my IP. SubtitleCreator then outputs "Index was outside the bounds of the array." and when I visit http://translate.google.com with my computer on my IP now it says:

"We're sorry...

... but your query looks similar to automated requests from a computer virus or spyware application. To protect our users, we can't process your request right now.

We'll restore your access as quickly as possible, so try again soon."

I've sent Feature Request to the sourceforge forum for the addition of a Proxy/Port feature so one could launch the Google Translation through proxies and thus hopefully be able to use another proxy for each subtitle file..

I've also found Open Subtitle Translator. But that doesn't seem to work on my computer (when I click Translate, it says "Translating X messages" but nothing seems to happen), I've sent a request to the project admin and am waiting for a response.

Otherwise, does someone here have a good Automatic Translation tool for subtitles, one that eigther uses online translation engines like Google Translate, or one that uses a local translation system to install on the computer.. Or if someone can tell me how I can pass SubtitleCreator Google Translate requests somehow through a proxy server and port, maybe can I forward all the activity in my Windows Computer through a proxy? changing something in my router or adsl2x modem?

My idea is to be able to automatically translate .srt files to several languages, it is better for people to understand than nothing, and then later have a participatory subtitle correction system, so volunteers could contribute to improve the grammar and comprehention of the automatically generated subtitles. Wouldn't such features be very usefull for an awesome site like opensubtitles.org?

Nikephoros

Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:55 am

No. Automatic translation is just horrible. You are better off to watch a movie that does have decent subtitles in your language. When I watch I do not want to kind of understand what is suppossed to be said. The large number of OCR errors are bad enough.

Gringo

Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:36 am

I can't see the point of automatically translated subs either. There are so many talented translators out there (myself not included), that it is hard to believe that automatically translated subtitles (ATS) would do any good.

On the contrary: a distribution of ATS would rather "polute" the existing data bases with trash-quality subtitles, making it difficult to tell the "good" ones apart from the "bad" ones.

Take Opensubtitle.org, for example: There are more than a quarter of a million subs. While finding a sub becomes increasingly less and less difficult (especially with the help of SubDonwloader)- it is already difficult to pick the best subtitle from the ones you found.

Of course, if there really are no subs for your title/language in the web to be found, and posted request remain unattended, ATS could help, but nevertheless they souldn't be shared. As "nikephoros" said, there are already enough flaws in the existing subtiles...

Aleph

Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:52 pm

adding some statistics to what they just said, the number of ATS that I alone delete from the database is big enough...
if you're desperate enough to want one of those, just get it in another language and do it yourself, without sharing it for people who will think it's manually done and won't like it (wich is at least 98% of the cases...)

oss
Site Admin

Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:31 pm

I personally hate ATS, but I understand, they are sometimes better than nothing. I dont know any specialized software for this though. Also, when uploading ATS, there should be in comment field, those subtitles are ATS.

I think software for ATS should be installed at localhost, because using other webservices (if not allowed in this way) is bad thing.

Gringo

Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:48 pm

when uploading ATS, there should be in comment field, those subtitles are ATS
I'm actually surprised by your statement, dear os...Since comments are only visible on the detail-page and neither on the summary nor in SD, I, for my part, think a comment is just not good enough for labelling trashy ATS. Not even a "Bad Subtitle" label would be adequate for them, since SD doesn't show that either.

I would have expected a clear "no to ATS at the current state" from you...as such subtitles are useful for only a few, but counterproductive to many others.

But who knows, maybe you already got some ideas kept in the back of your mind just waiting to be scripted....You've already surprised me befor.. ;-)

oss
Site Admin

Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:06 am

No, you have deep right on this. It is not good idea at all, because those "bad" doesnt even show, I have to do something with it, in search list will be visible, if subtitle is bad/atm or something

I will implement this asap. ALSO, tell me what more flags do you expect for subtitles, and tell me if these flags should be searchable (because of desing of table - for example it is needed - dont display ATD, dont display BAD and so on ? I think we need this, because, I dont want display bad subs - or there should be how "much" bad...) This is not big deal at all, because it doesnt change internal logic.

Ofcourse, this should be visible/possible set in Subdownloader too.

Return to “General talk”