Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
ixquic

Ads for other sites - delete or not?

Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:08 pm

When I edit or synchronize subtitles, I don't touch any of the credits for the original translators etc., but I delete ads for other websites. For me these ads are just spam, they don't belong in the subtitles. Most of them are added automatically. Some of them make the file format invalid (using line number 0). I never add myself to the credits in subtitle files, but I understand when people want to be credited for their work. What I don't respect is the website ads. Sometimes it's a fine line -- when a subbing group is associated with a website.

I want to make clear that when I delete an ad, this is not meant as an action against "competitors" of opensubtitles. What I do is for the community, not for one website. I use other sites as well and I think the more sites there are, the better.

I just got an angry comment for some subtitles I synchronized, where I left the credits in (and copied them to the upload comment field) but deleted the website ads. I would have replied to the comment but apparently it has been deleted by a mod. Still, the question remains. How does everybody else handle it?

scooby007
Site Admin

Re: Ads for other sites - delete or not?

Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:07 pm

When I do a full sub edit from another language, I do put credits in, but not when it's from a sub-pack. The reason is, the full sub edit takes a lot of work and that is the only thanks we get, right? Eventually I'd probably stop doing that to. I'd say credits shouldn't be removed, otherwise subbers would stop editing. As far as advertising other sites in subtitles goes, I'd say it's okay to delete them unless it's the users of that advertised site that actually made the sub (like addic7ed).

That's my position on the matter. If anyone can give a reason or debate why it should be left, then I may change my mind or compromise.

oss
Site Admin

Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:19 am

I think it is absolutely OK delete ads to other websites, specially, when they are incorrect timing, e.g. machine added. It is also OK, when you remove our advertisement :)

Mikhel

Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:19 pm

Thanks for this thread, it saves me time to make the question myself =).

I am Mikhel and i create subs for a particular website in charge of translating subs to spanish, and i've found that some of my subtitles have been deleted from other websites, even here i think i can't find my previous subtitles i uploaded while being "anonymous", and classical: my credit gets deleted from the file itself, resynched and uploaded as the sole work of somebody else.

Myself as creator of subs can tell you: making a subtitle from scratch its a painstaking labor, time consuming, but well rewarded when people thank you for the work either for the english subs (the ones i work for), or for the resulting translated sub, but it seems there are people who get angry because there are other people creating, and releasing subtitles (for US TV Shows) and i've had my subs deleted from various subtitles websites.

I just want to say: if you take one of my subs and do a resynch, or modify it, it doesn't matter to me if you either append your name to my creation or delete my name altogether as long as you give props to the people who took the time to created it ( it doesn't matter if said credit gets relegated to a single line :)).

scooby007
Site Admin

Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:00 pm

Your subtitles weren't deleted because of credits, nor did an admin even check it (I don't think). If there are 3-4 same subtitles uploaded and are equally good, then it's best to delete the ones by anonymous (because most anonymous subtitles were uploaded automatically using a program) rather than ones uploaded by a user. But now you're registered, there shouldn't be a problem of yours being deleted :D

Return to “General talk”