Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
am-redfrog

Japan subtitle

Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:52 am

Hi

I downloaded the Japanese subtitle for the movie "Night At The Museum"
but the Text is everwhere like this:

00:03:28,218 --> 00:03:33,790
·¡¸®?
/ÀÀ? ³Ê ¿Ö ¿À´ÃÀÌ Çкθð Âü°ü¼ö¾÷ÀÌ
ÀÖ´Â °É ¾È ¸»ÇØÁÖ¾ú´Ï? :(

I donwload also some other jamanese subtitle but it's always the same problem.
Does someone now whats the problem is

please note:
I installed the japanese language on my pc and i can see on every webpage the japanese Text.

Andrea

oss
Site Admin

Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:52 am

I think you mean: http://www.opensubtitles.org/sk/subtitl ... -museum-ja

those subtitles are really weird. Maybe this site is not handling japanese subtitle very well. I have to test it. If you will find some correct japanese subtitles, let me know. They are using maybe utf-8 or utf-16 as encoding, and because it is that mess.

Nikephoros

Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:42 am

Whenever I look at the Greek subs I download in Notepad or Wordpad I do not see it right.

But in Videolan it is fine. Just try to play those subs and see.

Soma36

Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:17 am

Yeah I have similar issues. When playing in VLC I can get the subtitles up, using using two types of subtext encoding, UTF-8 I think, and the other JIS. But one is just a recycling of the same gibberish contained in the file, and the other is just a bunch of blocks. One good thing, is that I am using a S-video cable and overlay to transmit to my TV to watch movies. VLC player does this.

Now, using BS player a bit more success, but, well, simply, demented. BS player allows me to select the font of the subtitles, which brings them up, but, they are the wrong way around!!!! ie imagine ABC lying on their sides! When I play with the font format inside BS player it actually displays the characters exactly like that too. However, when I look at the srt file in notepad and change the font that way, the japanese character fonts are displayed correctly. Lastly, perhaps a seperate issue, even these weird subtitles are only displayed on my laptop, not on the TV, where the film will play, but not the subtitles. Ive tried on a few movies, but in particular I played around with both versions of the Japanese subtitles of the Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind. I would love this film with Japanese subs so if someone could help me out, that would be great!

Also, if i can figure this out, it would be a good incentive for me to OCR some subs from idx/sub into srt and put them up here (Japanese subs that is, which I have access to in this form). But if they are going to end up unusable like this, I wont waste my time. I would like to contribute to this site and work on getting more Japanese subtitles up for movies, especially the lesser known ones.

Or more simply, is there a Japanese media player that anyone knows about that displays properly?

Please Help!!!

oss
Site Admin

Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:13 pm

please, send me some PROPER japanese subtitles zipped to my mail. I will play with them, if there is some error on opensubtitles.org site, or what is causing this. UTF8 should work very good, UTF16 is problem.

Soma36

Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:17 pm

please, send me some PROPER japanese subtitles zipped to my mail. I will play with them, if there is some error on opensubtitles.org site, or what is causing this. UTF8 should work very good, UTF16 is problem.
ok, Ive just ripped the idx/sub combo from mr and mrs smith, and Ill put them through subresync, which will take a few days, given the exigencies of the Japanese written language and time etc.

To be honest, Ive never gone the whole way through with OCRing a movie, particular a Japanese movie. Was playing around with it the other day and while the first time it remembered the hiragana characters (the more commonly recurring ones) but when I tried it again it would not "remember". Im using subresync instead of subrip because it seems that while ripping the bmp images is easiest in subrip, however, after ripping, I am not sure what program to use for Japanese characters to build them into an easier to handle subtitle than idx/sub (which both work fine in Japanese on my computer with the encoded dvix avi container). On a another website I found a link to something called InputSub which is supposedly to be Japanese specific, but, that program does not seem to exist. Thus I am using subresync. I am just hoping the output isnt the same jibberish that is on the other files, which dont seem to be working on the most commonly used media players (VLC and BS Player).

As you can tell I am relatively new to this.....but I have a sense of the basics. Any help would be appreciated, and if I could learn how to correct this problem then I would learn something myself and more so I would be more than happy to contribute more Japanese subs to the site in the future, and maybe others could get on and help too.

So, a zipped .srt file is what you want os??

oss
Site Admin

Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:30 pm

yes, exactly. zipped srt, which you tried, and is working fine.
Also, try upload this srt to website, and download it again, and confirm, if it is OK, or not, because I dont understand japanese to none char :)

biryani

Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:56 am

I also have a bunch of Japanese idx/sub files that I'd be willing to upload if i could find a simple enough way to convert them to srt files.

I have tried subrip, but it was asking me what every character was. It'd be quicker to type the script myself. I tried googling for a Japanese character matrix file but couldnt find anything.

I tried subresync too, but the same thing happened. It couldnt recognise any of the japanese text.

Help appreciated.

Nico2097

Re: Japan subtitle

Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:51 pm

I realize it is 2018 now but people might still stumble on this post looking for the same answer.

The thing is that most japanese .SRT files are encoded in Shift-JIS, and your western operating system, or TV, might not be able to decode it.

But don't worry, there is an easy way to fix it.

Install Notepad ++, open the SRT file in Notepad ++, it should show the proper japanese symbols.
Now click Encoding, and select "Convert to UTF-8", and save the file.

It will now be encoded in UTF instead of Shift-JIS, and you should have no problem opening this in any player or stream the video to your DNLA TV screen, even if it is not of Japanese make, it should decode UTF-8 encoded japanese subtitles just fine. At least my Samsung Smart TV in (Bought in Netherlands) will play it and my japanese wife can read them just fine, and so does my windows 10 with classic media player (or any other player i've tried)

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:16 am

In addition, a few remarks:
- UTF-8 encoding will indeed work (UTF-8 supports any character, so including Japanese)
- Many modern players (software or standalones) support UTF-8, but not all.
- Your method can already be done using the Windows installed Notepad (no need for Notepad ++). When doing "save as..." you can choose for UTF-8 instead of the default ANSI.
- Opensubtitles supports UTF-8 subtitles.
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

Nico2097

Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:54 pm

Hello SmallBrother

I’m sure there are players which might not support UTF-8 but I havent come acros any.

I have to disagree about notepad (included in windows)

The problem with regular notepad is that if you open a .srt file on a computer that doesn’t have the Japanese language as the default (non unicode) language, it will open up garbled. You won’t see the actual japanese subtitles on notepad. You’ll see what the original poster posted. Garbled sentences.

If you then save as unicode / utf8 you will just overwrite the shift-jis encoded file with garbled unicode characters, destroying the japanese subtitles in the process. You need to be able to decode the file before you can reencode it.

The reason it works on notepad++ is because it can simply detect the shift-jis encoding properly, and show you the actual japanese subtitles, no matter what language your computer is using, so that you convert it to utf8, once that is done even regular notepad can open it.

So if you have troubles opening japanese encoded files, you can either use a player that supports them natively or use notepad++ to make it into utf8 which is supported by most players and smart tvs,
Anyway just trying to help.

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:51 am

I made a thinking mistake.
You are right about Windows' default Notepad vs. Notepad++

Thanks for your help.
Sorry for my confusion.
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

Return to “General talk”