Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
Abinadi

Subtitle Relevance and Accuracy

Tue May 03, 2011 8:55 pm

I have been using OS for awhile now and am generally happy with the site.

But I do have a problem. I end up being presented with as many as 10 to 15 subtitle files with no real way to tell which one is correct for the torrent I have already downloaded. I have already done a search here on this forum and I cannot find an answer to my particular question.

When I come to OS, sometimes there will be a matchup with the exact same torrent name, but many times there is not. I end up weeding out the obvious mismatches such as 2 CDs instead of only one like my torrent. But that usually leaves me with 8-12 others (if not more) to wade through.

I may find one that does appear to have decent english translation but the subtitles are not appearing on the screen at the same time as the dialouge, I do know about the VLC subtitle/video synchronization tool and it will prove successful sometimes, but generally speaking the process of downloading and opening each subtitle file and then running it with the video is a time-consuming and tedious affair.

Every time I go through this process I think somewhere out there is a person who has a better way to find the right subtitle file without this laborious process.

Is that person you? Can you give me some hints as to how to locate the correct subtitle file that was created for the particular BlueRay rip of the Directors Cut (or whatever the combination might be of the one I am searching for) of the film I just downloaded?

Ailen

Re: Subtitle Relevance and Accuracy

Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:10 am

No answer by now? I know what this problem is like, and it's really annoying and tedious to find proper subtitles for a torrent sometimes. I don't think there is a fast solution to this, but in case there is, someone pls tell us about it! TIA

arcchancellor

Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:13 am

The question is: are really exists right subtitles explicit for your torrent-version? Maybe nobody has adjusted it so far. If you find no clue in the name of the srt or on the site, then maybe you must try some versions.

Anyway. If no 1 CD srt exists, then merge a 2 CD srt and adjust it. That's no rocket science.
If you use Windows as OS, then use subtitle workshop or Aeagisub. And if you use Linux as OS, then use Subtitle Editor or Aegisub.

With the waveform in Subtitle Editor or Aegisub it's in 9 to 10 cases a piece of cake to synchronize the subs.
Try these tools. It's easier as you think.
"I don't believe in God. I just believe in Billy Wilder" - Fernando Trueba

eduo

Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:21 pm

Alternate solution: The best subtitle for your torrents will, always, be the results turned out by the programs that use the API (or the web applet, if that's still running).

Why? Because they have been matched and, ideally, they are sync'd to your specific video file.

If OpenSubtitles had a way to search by release name things would be easier for the web as well.

In my own program the way I select the best subtitle is through a ranking system:

-Every subtitle starts with a value of 5
-If the sub has ever been marked as "BAD" it's rank becomes -1
-If the subtitle had the season and episode in the name then that's +1
-If the subtitle has been uploaded by a VIP or Platinum user then that's another +1
-The subtitle with the most downloads in the results gets another +1
-If the subtitle has a rating of 7,8 or 9 then that's +1
-If the subtitle has a rating of less than 5 then that's -3

In the end, the subtitle with the biggest ranking above 3 is selected by default. If none is above 3 then no subtitle is selected by default.
http://eduo.info/
[url=http://eduo.info/soleol/]OpenSubtitles from your desktop: SolEol for Mac/Windows/Linux[/url]
[url=http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php?showtopic=325&st=0&p=2480&#entry2480]My current episode processing work flow[/url].

michaelosborne

Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:29 pm

I have the same problem sith subtitles. Someone find the efficient way to choose right version of subtitles?

scooby007
Site Admin

Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:32 pm

If the movie has hashes (tags that are linked to a specific video file) submitted against it, it's as easy as dragging and dropping your video file to the left of the search bar.

Check this topic with pictures: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16836&p=41901#p41902
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies who collect your data. Click below image for more details and reduce your online digital footprint.

Return to “General talk”