Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
filmtiger
Subtitles Admin

Upload form says "Unsupported subtitle format"

Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:33 pm

I tried to upload some .srt-files (which meet the standards) but when click the "upload"-button a warning massage is displayed:
Unsupported subtitle format for CD 1. Only srt, sub, smi, txt and ssa formats are supported
Am I the only one experiencing this problem? Is there a bug in the software like it happened three years ago?

SimplyTheBOSS
Site Admin

Re: Upload form says "Unsupported subtitle format"

Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:14 am

I tried to upload some .srt-files (which meet the standards) but when click the "upload"-button a warning massage is displayed:
Unsupported subtitle format for CD 1. Only srt, sub, smi, txt and ssa formats are supported
Am I the only one experiencing this problem? Is there a bug in the software like it happened three years ago?

I think that you've saved subtitles unicode format, try ANSI format.
(http://www.ehow.com/how_5942678_convert ... ormat.html)

filmtiger
Subtitles Admin

Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:13 am

Thanks for your help, it solved my problem :D

TedTheBellhop

Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:03 pm

i think utf-8 would be the better alternative. you won't lose any "non-ascii" characters by using utf-8

SimplyTheBOSS
Site Admin

Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:14 pm

TedTheBellhop, thanks for the clarification. Anyway, ascii works common languages, even finnish language.

djmasturbeat

uploading srt but i get error: Unsupported subtitle format f

Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:16 am

I ocred the English and Spanish subs from the Sony DVD for 2046
I uploaded the Eng fine, but the Spanish keeps crapping out.
there should be no difference between it and the English, both were made same way with same software (subrip) at same settings
its name is:
2046_Sony_spanish.srt

why am i getting error:
Unsupported subtitle format for CD 1. Only srt, sub, smi, txt and ssa formats are supported?

i have tried several times and different browsers.

i give up, but please fix this, since i don't want to spend tons of time trying to upload subs
I was going to up a ton of subs today, but got stuck on the 2nd one, so this killed my time

SimplyTheBOSS
Site Admin

Re: uploading srt but i get error: Unsupported subtitle form

Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:56 am

I think you've saved it as unicode format, try to save ANSI or UTF-8 format.

djmasturbeat

Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:05 am

probably did save it as non-ANSI, since i included all the accents, etc
tho i thought it may have been UTF-8.
guess i can resave it as UTF-8 and re-try later

any chance of this getting changed to accepted unicode?

SimplyTheBOSS
Site Admin

Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:51 pm

That's question which i can't answer. I think right person to answer this is oss or scooby.

ixquic

Thu May 26, 2011 1:47 pm

By "Unicode" you mean UTF-16? Because UTF-8 is Unicode too.

I remember that I requested UTF-16 support in another thread some time ago (can't find it now) and oss said he tried to implement it but came across problems.

In an ideal world, all subtitles should have their encoding sniffed when they're uploaded and be automatically converted to UTF-8 with a BOM. Sniffing should be possible with good accuracy -- all I've ever come across are Windows ANSI encodings or Big5/GB2312 for Chinese, and the subtitles language is an additional hint. Unifying everything to UTF-8 would also have the advantage that the same subtitles file cannot be uploaded twice with different encodings. But of course it's a lot of work to implement.

SeeingMole

Fri May 27, 2011 1:27 pm

The problem is that if you use Notepad to save the files in UTF-8, it will put this

Code: Select all

in the beginning of the file to identify it as UTF-8. (or HEX EF BB BF)

You need to somehow open it in a program which does not support UTF-8 or hex editor or UltraEdit and go in configuration and under file handling disable "Auto detect UTF-8 files"

Then you just need to delete the 3 characters in the beginning of the file. It will still open normally in programs which which support UTF-8 and show the extended characters correctly.

oss
Site Admin

Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:59 pm

if somebody will help me with utf16 and php routines / mysql, I can add support for it. For now, I didnt found a way, how to do that, so advices are welcome. Until that, I am sorry, only utf8 is supported only.

Return to “General talk”