Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
doctordri

Fri May 26, 2006 12:56 am

I think the general idea of the site is nice (to agroup all languages and sites in one), as long as i have lost too many time looking for subtitle files in too many diferent sites. Maybe you can create a list of sites which you extracted subtitles from (and publicate a link at the bottom of the page as "credits" or something like that), so every web page can be credited. This has another point: if we users can see a list of "used" sites then we can suggest new ones that you dont know, so opensubtitles will grow.
[color=red][b]Vivian:[/b][/color] [i]Why did you have to go on?[/i]
[color=blue][b]Marlowe:[/b][/color] [i]Too many people told me to stop.[/i]

Zeest

Sat May 27, 2006 3:23 am

No FPS in subtitle details. How am I supposed to make out if it will be in synch with my avi files?

oss
Site Admin

Mon May 29, 2006 8:16 am

I think the general idea of the site is nice (to agroup all languages and sites in one), as long as i have lost too many time looking for subtitle files in too many diferent sites. Maybe you can create a list of sites which you extracted subtitles from (and publicate a link at the bottom of the page as "credits" or something like that), so every web page can be credited. This has another point: if we users can see a list of "used" sites then we can suggest new ones that you dont know, so opensubtitles will grow.
Thanks for opinion. Credits are it every subtitle ZIP you download (as greetings), also I did not make synch long time. Nowadays coding on subtitles is slow, I dont have internet connection at home, and moving to new place right now. I have many ideas in my head, but no time for now for that.
Also, main idea is make from this site subtitle base, make it open to others sites and make possible, that uploaders could upload their subs only here and later - theirs subtitles will be spreaded to other sites.
Next thing - I have other idea how to grow up, and it is not about ripping other subtitles. But code that will take some time, and it is not only in my hands.

oss
Site Admin

Mon May 29, 2006 8:18 am

No FPS in subtitle details. How am I supposed to make out if it will be in synch with my avi files?
as we have subtitles from other sites, those sites doesnt have this too and I can't do nothing with that at this point right now. But I have some extra feature in brain (80% already coded) and FPS will be shown with older subtitles too.

Xig

Mon May 29, 2006 7:24 pm

I think OpenSubtitles is a great idea. Being the biggest and best subtitles site isn't evil, it's useful. If I want subtitles from a rare Japanese movie, should I Google a million sites, avoid malware and spend longer getting the subtitles than I spent finding the movie? Pssht :roll:

I'm actually looking for an online subtitles database where I can slap the URL into Windows Media Player Classic ... I'm guessing you guys don't support this yet?

Well keep up the good work. I'm behind you 100%

oss
Site Admin

Wed May 31, 2006 8:30 am

I think OpenSubtitles is a great idea. Being the biggest and best subtitles site isn't evil, it's useful. If I want subtitles from a rare Japanese movie, should I Google a million sites, avoid malware and spend longer getting the subtitles than I spent finding the movie? Pssht :roll:
Thanks for support, we need this :)
I'm actually looking for an online subtitles database where I can slap the URL into Windows Media Player Classic ... I'm guessing you guys don't support this yet?
Well keep up the good work. I'm behind you 100%
which kind of URL ? Tell example. Also I know MPC, I know Gabest, we talked some time ago. He is supporting own "protocol" ISDB, I am making new one (OSDB maybe :), it will be XML-RPC based and when it will be done it will be cool and best :) Maybe I will support ISDB, but I dont like it so much.

OSDB supports right now searching/uploading/downloading, I want add voting and some extra features. So every application could support this (from software movie players, SATelitte (dreambox...), console (XBOX) and use your imagine...)

Plans are big, so stay tune :)

ixquic

Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:10 pm

i love this site! no flash, no ads, no clicking through lots of menus.

this "stealing" discussion is just ridiculous. how can people who rip subtitles subscribe to that strange idea of "intellectual property". if copyright ruled the world all subtitle sites would have to shut down.

you should support gabest's system. it's a great idea (open movie, download subs with few clicks) only gabest's database is not well-known enough and they don't seem to harvest as you do. the combination would be the killer.

i'm missing:
- an area for series with season/episode fields
- bulk upload! (i have lots of subs, some of them corrected/translated and many sync'd by myself, but you won't get me to squeeze them one by one through the web interface)

cosmetics:
- the forum interface (phpBB) should default to english for people who set the site language to anything other than czech/slovak

oh, and please get rid of the country flags. i hate having to mouseover or disable images just to know what language that obscure flag represents. more importantly, countries are not languages and the ISO639/RFC3066 codes should be clear enough.

oss
Site Admin

Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:17 pm

yes, exactly that site I wanted to do, when I was in a mood in some pub :) No shit, just nice page.
you should support gabest's system. it's a great idea (open movie, download subs with few clicks) only gabest's database is not well-known enough and they don't seem to harvest as you do. the combination would be the killer.
who said we dont support it ? Just point your MPC to www.opensubtitles.org/isdb

But there is no upload yet, and dont know if it will be. But everything is possible and it seems it is not hard to code.

But we are working on other protocol, based on XMLRPC, it is better, than ISDB, it will be called OSDB, everything is done except UPLOAD :) it support multisearch, tryupload feature and many more. There will be WIKI page soon open to public with demo program.
- an area for series with season/episode fields
this is possible to add. But! many pages dont have this, you have to look on uploaders comment, hopefully he/she write that info there. If not - just wait for OSDB, it will finds proper subtitles anyway.
- bulk upload! (i have lots of subs, some of them corrected/translated and many sync'd by myself, but you won't get me to squeeze them one by one through the web interface)
I know what you mean. I think upload through web interface is just for "normal" people, for freaks and geeks is better upload through some program interface. I think there will be no bulk upload, but it will be faster, I guess - and ofcourse better for other people.
- the forum interface (phpBB) should default to english for people who set the site language to anything other than czech/slovak
I have to look, how is set default language in forum, dont know now.
oh, and please get rid of the country flags. i hate having to mouseover or disable images just to know what language that obscure flag represents. more importantly, countries are not languages and the ISO639/RFC3066 codes should be clear enough.
I know what you mean, and it is good what is difference among ISO966-2/639. Many people doesnt. It is a bit problem - as usual space on search page. I use flags, coz it saves space, and I think, it is not so bad, e.g. you are first who wrote this. I see your point, but for space I cant do that other.

cya

SoniKalien

Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:19 pm

yes, exactly that site I wanted to do, when I was in a mood in some pub :) No shit, just nice page.

Excellent site man.

Found this through Subbee - I come straight here now.

Don't change it - it's perfect. People will moan about this minor detail or that little quirk just cos they don't like a colour - bah, me and you like it - that's all that matters :mrgreen:

I'm a deaf kunt and rely on subs to retain some of normality in my otherwise muted life. You're doing an excellent job - keep it up!

SoniK

ps uploaded my first resynced sub tonight ;)
Last edited by SoniKalien on Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

oss
Site Admin

Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:55 am

Thanks,

these kinds of replies give me always a strength to do something more. There will be always something new, for example I added covers for movies, we are still searching how to make site better.

But I have not so positive news - as you can see, server is more and more loaded, sometimes is not responding, so we have to move to deticated server and it cost some dollars. We'd like to keep site nice looking e.g. no f*cking flash banners, no poppups, no shit. But we need pay for server, so we are thinking to put text banners at top of page (still good looking), so we make small revenue to pay server...or we should do donate page via PayPal, to make banners small as possible.

Next news is positive one - there already exists program, which automatically download subtitles for movie from this site, I will write briefly what it supports:

- ISDB, OSDB (OSDB is own XMLRPC based protocol)
- searching for subtitles for one movie or multiple movies using unique hash
- multiple movies - user select directory where are movies, hashing takes around 20 seconds for 60 GB, searching is done in 1 second
- preferences - auto discovering user locale language, searching in multiple
languages at once, username/password, server connection settings
- uploading - user select movie, program is trying to find subtitles in same dir, also if there exists second cd for movie, after confirming subtitle doesnt exists on opensubtitles.org it scans nfo for IMDB, fill subtitle language (from preferences) and uploads it

Program is in last stage, but programmer who is working on it must leave for a while and it is in not-spread state, so I can't release it now. But it is definitely something new and I think this should change the whole system.

Program is coded in Python, it works in linux, windows, macos, it has GUI.
We are looking for programmers who can help (python, C++ - coding directshow filter for that...)

Ok that enough news for now, when program will be released you will find it for sure on our web :)

ixquic

Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:49 am

Wow, that's great news. I wish I could help but coding Directshow filters isn't exactly my specialty...

nb000

more subs

Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:23 am

Hi,
this site is wonderfull.
And I would like to have more hun subs.
Is it somehow possible to get all the subs from the
feliratok.hu database?
You could talk with the admins there to have
all the uploaded subs automatically go here too,
or at least get the existing subs. :-)
[b]nb000[/b]

oss
Site Admin

Re: more subs

Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:25 am

Hi,
this site is wonderfull.
And I would like to have more hun subs.
Is it somehow possible to get all the subs from the
feliratok.hu database?
You could talk with the admins there to have
all the uploaded subs automatically go here too,
or at least get the existing subs. :-)
hello, and welcome to the board :) Importing from other sites is possible, but we don't do that anymore :) There are more important things to code, also SubDownloader should be the way how to get all those subtitles with even more information as other sites have.

rackaboy

Fri May 02, 2008 2:50 pm

make it an incentive and give more credits to uploaders to spend their time and effort translating or making subtitles. I see a people copy or steal other people's hard work, adding their name or "trademark" within the subtitle and do not credit the original uploader. I've experience this with my subtitles which I've spent alot of time and effort on.

Return to “General talk”