Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
forcer

We want your opinion!

Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:32 pm

What is so lovely and what do you hate about opensubtitles ?
Is web 2.0 interface tasty for you or you prefer simple web a'la google ?
Tell us all about your feelings regarding to this system, your feedback is the only way how we can make it better!

gorazd65

Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:42 am

I hate people or sites who steal subtitles. YOU are one of them!!!!
Hate people, who steal subtitles!!!!!

oss
Site Admin

Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:01 pm

I hate people or sites who steal subtitles. YOU are one of them!!!!
Thanks for opinion. You have right, these subtitles was not uploaded by hand, I coded import script for this. But I saw many pages, which uses same technique to get initial subtitles.

But we want more - imagine uploader - for example you translated subtitles for new movie, and you want to spread your subtitles as more as you can. So you have to:
1. know every subtitle page
2. upload those subtitles to every page you know.

I personally know about 50 subtitle pages, so dont say me, you will upload them there.

And here it comes: you will upload it only to opensubtitles.org and hopefully (after some time), other subtitles site gets connected to opensubtitles.org (something like RSS) and will import yours subtitles to own database.

In this time it is possible, every beginner should "connect" to our site and get newest subtitles.

You see that point ?

gorazd65

Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:43 am

Thanks for opinion. You have right, these subtitles was not uploaded by hand, I coded import script for this. But I saw many pages, which uses same technique to get initial subtitles.

But we want more - imagine uploader - for example you translated subtitles for new movie, and you want to spread your subtitles as more as you can. So you have to:
1. know every subtitle page
2. upload those subtitles to every page you know.

I personally know about 50 subtitle pages, so dont say me, you will upload them there.

And here it comes: you will upload it only to opensubtitles.org and hopefully (after some time), other subtitles site gets connected to opensubtitles.org (something like RSS) and will import yours subtitles to own database.

In this time it is possible, every beginner should "connect" to our site and get newest subtitles.

You see that point ?
If I translated subtitles, it would be slovenian lenguage. All, or most of them, translate to a local language. So I see you as predator, who want to be THE biggest on market. You have to steal thai, korean, jap, etc sites. For what? Will you translate your page to all languages, to came closer to user? I don`t understand romenian, turkish, but I can easely came throu slovak or russian.

Hope you have success in you local, global you are looser :wink:

danger

Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:53 pm

If I translated subtitles, it would be slovenian lenguage. All, or most of them, translate to a local language. So I see you as predator, who want to be THE biggest on market. You have to steal thai, korean, jap, etc sites. For what? Will you translate your page to all languages, to came closer to user? I don`t understand romenian, turkish, but I can easely came throu slovak or russian.

Hope you have success in you local, global you are looser :wink:
If you are interested in translating our page to slovenian (or possibly to other languages you can speak fluently), please drop us an email, or Private message and we will gratefully provide you our language files. It's no problem for us to translate our web page to foreign languages if our users will contribute as it's designed for such thing. Also note, that we would like to act on the scene as an "open" project which can be used by anyone.
FreeBSD - Power To Serve!

gorazd65

Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:04 pm

I see you as predator, who want to be THE biggest on market.
So thx, but no thx. I don`t want to play a tune with criminals. :evil:

oss
Site Admin

Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:06 am

gorazd65, we are not just another subtitles site. We are preparing API for videoplayers (win/lin). It is your oppinion, but I hope one day you will be thankful we are here and you will get always subtitles for movie you want.

Just be patient.

gorazd65

Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:00 pm

Have ju see last subtitles, you steal?? It is just NFo file in :D Wan`t go allways :wink:
We are preparing API for videoplayers (win/lin)
Good luck. And buy yourself a very good rubber :lol:

danger

Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:31 pm

So thx, but no thx. I don`t want to play a tune with criminals. :evil:
right, that's your own opinion and we won't take it from you :-) In my eyes, your behavior is really negative one...

Well, I don't think that "stealing" is the right word for what we have done. Look, we just downloaded subtitles from other sites, gave them credits (which are in every single one .nfo file included in every subtitles pack) and we kept the original autors of the given subtitles. Also, we didn't modified them so we just made another "mirror" of subtitles which are available for free download on other sites. We just made a "better" site. Please, give us a chance to prove our mission.

Killer_X

Tue May 16, 2006 10:11 pm

I think it's a great idea.
I don't think it's stealing what this page is doing but maybe you could add a note to the subs that were imported that points to the original site.

As for the API idea it's great if you'll manage to get it going

(Don't laugh but I'm so for it because I got the exact same idea a few months ago :D)

I would be happy to help you with the translation of the page into slovenian :) (As for the forum you can install the language pach from PHPbb and if you made modifications there I will be happy to translate them for you.

@gorazd65: I belive if an API will be developed and used by a few larger movie players, then there must be an international database in the background. It doesn't really pay off if an API being developed would work for only one language. And for that reason it would be the only logical thing for this site to become one of the biggest if not the biggest sub db.
I don't see any real market here as the site doesn't even display ads and nor is there any mention of payable membership.

EDIT (not for gorazd65): It would also be nice to have to register just once. Else you have to register for the forum and for the subtitle upload...
Long Live Open Source - Free Source

oss
Site Admin

Wed May 17, 2006 8:18 am

I think it's a great idea.
I don't think it's stealing what this page is doing but maybe you could add a note to the subs that were imported that points to the original site.
I thought about this too. But DanGer said no, so now there is really hard work to add this :( But everything is possible as one said...:)
As for the API idea it's great if you'll manage to get it going
API is nearly done, it is my first try in XML-RPC, but should work. We will see. There are some APIs available for subs (isdb), but I don't like them too much. So I will create one new and hopefully good.
(Don't laugh but I'm so for it because I got the exact same idea a few months ago :D)
one thing is idea and other thing is real code :)
I would be happy to help you with the translation of the page into slovenian :) (As for the forum you can install the language pach from PHPbb and if you made modifications there I will be happy to translate them for you.
Thanks for help. Now it is no secret, but you can find file for translation at http://www.opensubtitles.org/addons/translate.php - use some UTF8 editor and send back translated file to my mail...and I will add it. I am preparing v0.2 of site, so it should be there. Also write your credit.
I don't see any real market here as the site doesn't even display ads and nor is there any mention of payable membership.
Thanks for support. Actually there is some really small ad as googla adsense (links), but it shows only in english and other supported languages. I am planning to add also one banner at bottom and that will be hopefully all.

Ofcourse we pay server, it is not cheap (around 150$/month), so we need some support. But it is not first priority. Priority is make good subtitle server. Not good. Best.
EDIT (not for gorazd65): It would also be nice to have to register just once. Else you have to register for the forum and for the subtitle upload...
You can register only once. But I know it is a bit hidden:
1. register and login in www.opensubtitles.org
2. click on forum
3. yes - you are registered on forum too! :)

but it doesnt work forum -> opensubtitles.

I am planning make some general help, but I prefer coding, not writing documentation :) but I know it is needed.

Killer_X

Thu May 18, 2006 1:25 am

Thanks for help. Now it is no secret, but you can find file for translation at http://www.opensubtitles.org/addons/translate.php - use some UTF8 editor and send back translated file to my mail...and I will add it. I am preparing v0.2 of site, so it should be there. Also write your credit.
I started on the file, and I hope I'll have more time ower the weekend.
Thanks for support. Actually there is some really small ad as googla adsense (links), but it shows only in english and other supported languages. I am planning to add also one banner at bottom and that will be hopefully all.

Ofcourse we pay server, it is not cheap (around 150$/month), so we need some support. But it is not first priority. Priority is make good subtitle server. Not good. Best.
Ok, I cant find any ads... :oops:
It might be a good idea to accept donations. If it's a good community providing a good service people do donate :)

You can register only once. But I know it is a bit hidden:
1. register and login in www.opensubtitles.org
2. click on forum
3. yes - you are registered on forum too! :)

but it doesnt work forum -> opensubtitles.

I am planning make some general help, but I prefer coding, not writing documentation :) but I know it is needed.
Ok, You could make that work the other way around too :P...
If you needhelp modifying PHPbb I might be able to give you some directionswhere too look.

oss
Site Admin

Thu May 18, 2006 7:58 am

Ok, thanks for translation, v0.2 is comming soon, and it will be nice to have some extra languages.

For ads: dont you have blocked ADs form google ? Also you have to browse in English language for example to see them. They are on top (not exact top) and they show as links. Nothing big.

Donations - I will accept them, but dont know when. Maybe when I will be satisfied with site enough (still have full page of TODO list, but no time nowadays...)

phpBB -> opensubtitles.org - I think it is easy to find where is registration done, but it is not my priority. But I will write this to TODO too :)

Hm, but if you have some text about this, you can write it. Also where is phpBB pass change done, so I can reflect that in OS DB too.

have a nice day!

Killer_X

Thu May 18, 2006 10:57 am

Ok, about 2/3 done (just got to the hard part :D )
Btw:
In line 252:

Code: Select all

$LANG['subdetail']['sub_bad'] = 'Sub BAD';
Imnot sure what is that supposed to mean and when and where it will be displayed... Can you maybe give a saple how this strig looks like in action?

Yay, I found the ads :D They arenton any front page or forum (at least for me).

Ok, Im a bit rusty with PHPbb but I'll look into it :)

oss
Site Admin

Thu May 18, 2006 1:06 pm

superb,

sub_bad means subtitles are bad, incorrect or so. Bad Subtitles.

It doesn't show on v0.1 but it will be on v0.2, if you want make newest translation, go to test.opensubtitles.org/addons/translate.php - there are some more lines...(not much), and you will see where is used sub bad.
It is separated database, so you can mark some subtitles as bad :)

Return to “General talk”