Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
yunior89

USEFUL SUBTITLE SOFTWARE

Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:37 pm

Hi everyone..surfing a bit in the forum i saw famous name like LeapinLar, or Scooby007, that i saw when i was downloading movies with subtitles.
Is a bit that i try to rip subtitles out of DVDs, but i fail. There are many programs that extract .sub, but i wanna have the extention .srt!
I used SubRip..but the result is totally unacceptable..ok till is Arial Unicode the I and the l has no difference, but when i open with notepad i see how really looks and it's horrible..but when i download any torrent with english subtitles in srt format i see that are completely perfect and mistake free..i dont think that those guys change every single letter.
Can you guys help me to find a program (free or not) that makes me rip subtitles perfectly out of dvds?

Thank you very much for reading!

SimplyTheBOSS
Site Admin

Re: Problem making subtitles

Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:06 am

scooby007
Site Admin

Re: USEFUL SUBTITLE SOFTWARE

Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:46 am

In the following text, the color red mainly represents the program name and is a link to the program site itself (all programs are freeware/open-source).
This color mainly represents what operating system the program works best with.

Guide was written in 2010. If any of the program links don't work, please make an admin aware so they can update the links. Thank you.

MEDIA PLAYERS DISPLAYING SUBTITLES ON SCREEN

Simply use a player that can display subtitles out of the box:

Video Lan Client (VLC) (Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, Unix, iOS, Android)
Out of the box subtitles and playback of almost all video and audio formats.
Simply one of the best!

GomPlayer (Windows)
Good subtitle capabilities (including all non-Western languages). Highly customizable.

MPlayer (Windows, Linux, MacOS and more)
No frills solid player.

Mediaplayer Classic (MPC) (Windows)
It looks like an ancient version of Windows Media Player, but don't let that fool you, it's much better. A very good player that can be tweaked and customized as you like it.

OR USE YOUR CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER TOGETHER WITH A SUBTITLE ADD-ON

DirectVobSub/VSFilter (Windows)
If vobsub can't display it, it's not a subtitle. Use this program to use subtitles with Windows media player on your PC and others.

Perian (together with Quicktime Player) (MacOS)
The Swiss-Army Knife for subtitles on the Mac. It's a must-have.

HOW TO RIP SUBTITLES FROM A DVD OR SUB/IDX FILES

Subrip Can even rip hard-coded subtitles that are part of the video. Still the best! (Windows)
Click here for: A guide to use it

Sub-re-sync, part of the VobSub package
One of the few tools that allows to re-sync IDX subtitles.

D-Subtiler (MacOS)

OGMRip (Linux)

Avidemux Contains a module that can rip subtitles. (Windows, Unix, Mac OS).

SubExtractor Converts subtitles from DVDs and PGS files into ASS or SRT. (Windows).

PROGRAMS TO EDIT/SYNC SUBTITLES

Gaupol (Unix, Mac OS).
Older Stable Version (Windows).
One of the most easiest, simplest and best subtitle editors with extended spell-checking capabilities. (Windows, Linux, MacOS)

Sadly, no further updates for this simple program for Windows users.
Last update by the creator: "I'd say when GIMP switches to GTK version 3, I'll check the Windows status again. GIMP is the most used GTK app on Windows and historically their developers have done a lot of work to make GTK work on Windows."

Subtitle Edit (Windows and others)
One of the best subtitle editors. This program can also rip subtitles from a (decrypted) DVD. A really good tool and some people prefer this over Subtitle Workshop as it can read and write both UTF-8 and other Unicode files. Click on it to find out more.

Subtitle Workshop Or try the Alternative Link (Windows)
Also one of the best subtitle editors.
I recommend Version 2.51, but there is also a newer beta version that is totally different. (I like the older version much better!) The following link is a basic guide for this program: Basic Subtitle Workshop Guide And the following is a more comprehensive guide: Comprehensive Subtitle Workshop Guide (Note: Some versions don't work with UNICODE/UTF-8 encoded subtitles!)

Jubler (Windows, Linux, MacOS)
Java-based subtitle editor. Although it cannot handle IDX/SUB, it's really good with all text subtitle formats.

Submagic (Windows)
Another subtitle editor that is easy to use and more accessible than Subtitle Workshop.

You may also find the following link useful: Convert Subtitles from SUB/IDX to SRT

Sub Timings Beautifier (Windows)
Automatic alignment of timings to the exact frames, considering consistent gaps, cam and scene changes, etc. The finishing touch for every subtitle!

OTHER USEFUL SUBTITLE RELATED SOFTWARE

OpenSubtitles-Uploader (Windows/Linux/OSX)
For easy and convenient uploading of subtitles to opensubtitles.org. Basically just drag and drop your subtitle and video files and the software automatically detects and fills out most of the input fields. See also the forum topic about it.

MKVToolNix Or actual Homepage (Windows, Linux, Unix)
You can use MKVToolNix to create, split, edit, mux, demux, merge, extract or inspect Matroska and other format files.
A nice and simple program to add subtitles to video files which can be switched ON/OFF with a TV remote.

VirtualDub (Windows)
Video re-encoding, editing, joining, hard-subbed videos. One of the most useful video tools available.

AviDemux (Windows, Linux and MacOS)
It's another very powerful video tool. It can re-encode any video into another format. It supports subtitles as well and it's one of the few tools that can extract IDX subtitles on MacOS. Highly recommended.

AVIAddXSubs (Windows)
One of the best tools to add subtitles to your movie/TV series. When playing your movie on a DivX compatible player (DVD player), just click the subtitle button on your remote and they will be displayed on screen (television).
Merges multiple .srt or IDX subtitles with an avi that will play on newer DIVX DVD players. This is a great way to get Arabic, Hebrew or Chinese subtitles without re-encoding the video.

MediaInfo (Windows, Unix)
This is a software that shows you advanced information about all media files. It integrates into the operating system's file browser. It is available for Windows and several unix systems. Very useful to find out more about the frame-rate, bitrate, resolution and encoding of videos.

JustSubsPlayer (Windows)
JustSubsPlayer is a player for .SRT files. Unlike other software, it does not require a video file, so it can be used to add subtitles to online movies or TV series, even if they are flash-based videos.

ExamDiff (Windows)
ExamDiff is a freeware tool for visual file comparison. It is quick and very simple to use, and has a number of convenient features that many users have been asking for a long time from a file comparison tool. Mostly beneficial for admins who can verify the differences in two subtitle files, especially if one is claimed to be “stolen”.

HOW TO DOWNLOAD SUBTITLES FROM AMAZON

Here the best tutorials how to download amazon subtitles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmPQXKqHNe4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZwDfwlVO50

Needed google chrome, and network console on it. So you can go any movie or series subtitles disabled. then open network console with F12
activate subtitle and then either search for .ttml or for "dfxp" and download the file.

Then upload the file to https://gotranscript.com/subtitle-converter and you get a srt.

I hope more people of use rip from amazon the subtitles. So that we have more subtitles on opensubtitles.org.

I think it would be best if that thread would be a sticky for people which not know yet how to download amazon subtitles.

Regards
niceweather

Above info provided by: niceweather. Link to that topic for further help and discussion here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16960

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HOW TO RIP SUBTITLES FROM DISNEY + (PLUS)
Hey guys found an tutorial how we can rip disney plus subtitles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdSbtXAUGgs

Hope we can add some nice disney plus subtitles on opensubtitles.org

Above info provided by: newkinds. Link to that original topic for further help or discussion here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17097

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NOTE: You need to remember that “l” to “I” mistakes happen when your software isn’t used to or doesn’t recognize the images in the files. You need to associate the images to the characters. The subtitles in a DVD are stored as images, your program needs to recognize those images to convert them into readable letters.

When you first use a ripping program, it asks you to associate ripped images to alphabetical letters. If you get it wrong here, it will always rip it wrong and to your previously set specifications.

I personally use Gaupol for editing, it has a friendly user interface. Don't forget to upload your work to opensubtitles :wink:

Wanna learn more?

Browse through our forum. Your question might have been already asked and answered.

Still none the wiser?

Head over to videohelp.com to find more amazing and free software.
They also have a huge forum:. If they don't know it or can't figure it, nobody does.

And now:

Welcome to the world of subtitles.
Now you are ready to find out how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Good luck :D

Thanks to rogard for the detailed information.

yunior89

Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:44 pm

WOW!!! THAT'S A LONG AND EFFICENT ANSWER!!!
I will read it now..but first i answer to Simplytheboss.
I used SubRip too but the result is that in unicode the letters that look the same are chosed wrong from the program..here i give you an example:

00:00:40,510 --> 00:00:42,740
My name is Dalton Russell.

00:00:43,510 --> 00:00:45,387
Pay strict attention to what l say

00:00:45,470 --> 00:00:49,145
because l choose my words carefully
and l never repeat myself.

as you can see the program just chosed to use L for all.. even for the I..and when i download subtitles i never see any mistake like that..that's why i don't know how to rip subtitles correctly..but now i read scooby007 answer :))
How do you do when you rip subtitles with SubRip? do you correct each one by hand?

SimplyTheBOSS
Site Admin

Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:04 am

I understand what you mean but after ripping go to "corrections" and choose "post OCR spelling correction" check "english" and "correct".

yunior89

Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:48 pm

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I WAS MISSING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the correction button works PERFECTLY!!!! Thank you very much for your (and also scooby007) help! was really important! thank you very much!!!

OK I HAVE ONE ONLY LAST QUESTION!

In SubRip (I uploaded an attachment) there is an option that are the FPS and the default is 25.000. My question is..in the subtitles..what changes when i put any different value? what is that option for?

Thank you a lot to all!

SimplyTheBOSS
Site Admin

Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:40 am

It's Frames per second (NTSC=23.976 and PAL=25.000).
More info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_rate
http://subscene.com/forums/t/16689.aspx

yunior89

Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:53 pm

I am really sorry, i think i explained myself wrong. My question was what is that option for, i made a try and i ripped 2 times the same subtitles, one with 25.000 fps and another one with 29 fps..i didn't see any difference in the file srt..
what change? what if the .srt has a different fps from the movie?

SimplyTheBOSS
Site Admin

Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:50 am

I am really sorry, i think i explained myself wrong. My question was what is that option for, i made a try and i ripped 2 times the same subtitles, one with 25.000 fps and another one with 29 fps..i didn't see any difference in the file srt..
what change? what if the .srt has a different fps from the movie?

No need to apologize, there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers. If you save some other formats than Subrip (srt), lik MicroDVD (sub), then first line is different, {1}{1}23.976, {1}{1}25.000 or something else, that's all i konow, maybe scooby or someone else can tell more? When resync subtitles example with subtitle workshop it change timing.

yunior89

Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:38 pm

there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.
hahaha that's true..but not in this case..
If you save some other formats than Subrip (srt), lik MicroDVD (sub), then first line is different
So if i understood right if i have the .srt format, the FPS can be 25.000 or 23.976 or whatever and nothing change in the file..but if i have the .sub the change..right? If is like that i don't have to worry cause i mostly use and create .srt..i actually HATE .sub cause once i used either DVDFab or ImTOO DVD RIPPER to create subtitle and the .sub/idx file that came out is crap..just doest work and i cannot make it work in anyway

scooby007
Site Admin

Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:29 pm

A video is made of single frames which are displayed in a sequence. "FPS" means "Frames Per Second" and it's referred to the number of frames which are displayed in a second.
Different Broadcast Television Systems are used worldwide, but the most common are NTSC (23.976 or 29.976 FPS) and PAL (25 or 30 FPS). It has nothing to do with the content of the subtitle or any of the chracters used therein, just the speed it's synced too.

If a movie has 30 FPS, then you should select the 30 FPS option in the box you asked about. Using a 23.976 FPS value on that subtitle means it will be out of sync with the 30 FPS movie. You can also find the FPS of a movie (Windows) by going in the file "Properties" then click "Details".

I hope that clarifies the matter. SimplyTheBoss provided you a link earlier on, please read those if further information is needed. And no more questions :lol:

yunior89

Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:55 am

ok..you mean no more questions at all? cause i have an other questions about something else but still really important... :( :(

scooby007
Site Admin

Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:25 pm

My knowledge is already at the end of its tether :shock: Oh, go on, then. Ask away :roll:

yunior89

Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:16 pm

Thank you for letting me :)..i’m sure that you know how to help me on this..is a thing that every subtitle maker that uses SubRip faced soon or later I think.
Let’s say that I wanna Rip the subtitles from the movie “The Strangers”. At the beginning of the movie there is the narrator explaining stuff, so the subtitles in the movie in that point appear in ITALIC style. So in SubRip I select Italic style and I write the letters to “teach” SubRip to recognize the letters. Then the narrator stops to talk and the real movie begins and I keep writing letters to “teach” Subrip the letters.
When the ripping is done I open the file srt (BEFORE TO MAKE THE CORRECTIONS THAT WE TALKED EARLY ON) and I see that for the WHOLE file many apostrophes are made in Italic, and sometime the entire word (like <I>I'm</I>), but those are supposed to be in normal style. After the corrections the problem doesn’t change and is still like that, for some lines worse,
Here an the example:

WRONG MADE BY SUBRIP

00:05:53,791 --> 00:05:56,351
You can have
this room. <I>I'm</I> gonna
get set up out there.

OR

00:06:06,771 --> 00:06:10,229
<I>Didn't</I> know
if the roses go
in first or after.

RIGHT VERSION:
00:05:53,791 --> 00:05:56,351
You can have
this room. I'm gonna
get set up out there.

OR

00:06:06,771 --> 00:06:10,229
Didn't know
if the roses go
in first or after.

My question is: since I’ve downloaded many subtitles of “the strangers” and also other movies and I saw that none of them has this problem, and I don’t think that the makers read the whole file to correct it, what can I do to make it good and to not have the italic where is not supposed to be?

Thank you all so much for attention! :D :D

yunior89

Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:22 pm

OK EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!!! i found the solutions!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the " ' " is the only character that gives troubles to SubRip cause it doesn't understand how actually is, if is in italic style or normal style.
So this is what you have to do:

When you "teach" the programs to rip the subtitles of a movie and the subtitles are in italic, then specify the italic style, BUT when there is an apostrophe DO NOT select the italic style, even if is in an italic line.

So at the end of the ripping should look like this:

BEFORE THE CORRECTIONS:
00:02:05,363 --> 00:02:08,855
<i>Okay, caIm down.</i>
<i>Where are you?</i>
<i>What</i>'<i>s your address?</i>

00:02:08,967 --> 00:02:09,934
<i>I don</i>'<i>t know.</i>

As you can see in the first line there is the “caIm” with the L because I didn’t apply any correction yet. So after the ripping apply the corrections with the default options, so will look like this:

AFTER THE CORRECTIONS:

00:02:05,363 --> 00:02:08,855
<i>Okay, calm down.</i>
<i>Where are you?</i>
<i>What's your address?</i>

00:02:08,967 --> 00:02:09,934
<i>I don't know.</i>

And in this way there is no problem of any apostrophe in italic in lines where there is no italic at all..is it all clear??

Return to “General talk”