Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
farhic7

Problem with downloaded subtitle files.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:38 pm

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post so please tell me if this is the correct way to post a question like this.

My problem is with the subs in English for the Swedish film "Luftslottet som sprangdes" (The girl who kicked the hornet's nest)
which I downloaded from links on the Opensubs site.

The film is a 2 disk set with 2 subs files. Each disk has 15 chapters each.

The first subs file (Luftslottet.Som.Sprangdes.2009.SWEDISH.DVDRip.XviD-WASTE.CD1.eng.srt) has only got subs for 14 chapters.
The 15th chapter plays with no subs.

The second subs file (Luftslottet.Som.Sprangdes.2009.SWEDISH.DVDRip.XviD-WASTE.CD2.eng.srt ) has got subs for 16 chapters.

Then when I play the second disk it starts with chapter 16 but it plays the subs from chapter 15 and so on
and after that they are all in the wrong place.

I hope I have explained this correctly and that you can provide me with asolution.

Best regards from farhic7

scooby007
Site Admin

Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:39 pm

I can’t really make much sense of it (and hope someone else can input on this). But, it sounds like the subtitle file was ripped and synced to a different release.

You said the 2CD version has 15 chapters each and the first set has 14 and the second set 16. The second set that has 16, I think 1 chapter from that 16 belongs in the first set to make 14 into 15 chapters after which I think you’ll have the right amount of chapters in each file to match your avi. file-which will only leave you to sync the actual sub to your avi.

arcchancellor

Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:16 pm

@farhic7

Have you tried this:

1. merge the movie from the 2 discs to one file with a prog like Avidemux, Virtualdub or a similar one

2. merge the two srt-files in SubtitleWorkshop to one file

3. test with a Prog like VLC-Player, who shows automatic the subs, if they have the same name as the movie-file (of course without the extension ;-)) whether they are synchronous

If the srt is sync with the movie, you have what you want.
If it's not sync, you can adjust the subs and the movie easy in SubtitleWorkshop.
"I don't believe in God. I just believe in Billy Wilder" - Fernando Trueba

farhic7

Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:08 pm

Hello archchancellor and scooby007,

Thank you for coming back to me on my problem.You are right scooby - the SRT was a different release and the timing was all different. I started afresh with new downloaded of AVI and SRT files that were the same release. The English subs were very bad but I was able to correct the texts and then I used ConvertXtoDVD and made a good DVD.

Thank you again.

ixquic

Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:41 am

The English subs were very bad but I was able to correct the texts
I hope you uploaded the corrected subs here?

farhic7

Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:50 pm

Please excuse the delay in my answering.I have just migrated onto a new faster PC.
I am not up to speed yet at uploading but I hope to learn very soon.
I notice on this site that there is a new uploaded subs file Dated 17/04/2010 (by ytaog)
for "Luftslottet som sprangdes" and it is an excellent version.

Thank you again for your input. :D

Return to “General talk”