Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
hazylum
Subtitles Admin

Re: YOU want to be an Administrator at opensubtitles?

Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:48 pm

If you have problems with my actions you are supposed to come and tell me about it not complain in the thread for assigning admin roles. I will not go OT so for further explanation, assuming you are interested, there are other places.
OpenSubtitles admin since 2022 - Anime multisub uploader

Funchalense
Site Admin

Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:59 pm

name_less do not use this topic to complain!

Here you only have to answer these questions:

1. your username with link, where I can see your uploaded subtitles
2. how much time you will got for this work
3. which language do you apply for
4. How much subtitles you upload to opensubtitles.org

The rest you can deal with azylum in another topic or by pm.

oss
Site Admin

Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:19 pm

we dont want for sure to have some fights between admins. It never worked and often happens that both of them lose their position, so be wise.

pipporan
Subtitles Admin

Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:40 am

hi guys
i think i possess all the requirements to be an admin of the site, but before applying for the "job", i would like to understand WHAT would be requested from the new admin...
first of all, what is to admin? the forum, opensubtitles.org, or .com, or all together?
second, i guess (but i can't be sure of it :D ) that a subtitle site is not a place where there's a lot of fighting between users, so i guess the main activities will be others...like what? aside from uploading quality subs properly, which are the tasks, the activities to do?
third and last question: i usually have plenty of spare time to dedicate to this, but it's not always constant...i mean, normally i can do every day, but it could be that sometimes for several weeks i can work at opensubtitles only 2 or 3 days a week, for 5 hours total in a week (this is more, by now, an hypothetical than an actual need, but i prefer to be clear before making arrangements :wink: ) : is it ok, or the admin must be ALWAYS present?
sorry if my question are naif, but i red every of the 16 pages of this topic and searched on the first pages of the "general" section, but i didn't find any clue :D
thanks in advance for clearing this out for me!
greetings from italy

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:52 am

Hi Pipporan,

I saw your uploads, reports and some of your recent comments and to me it looks like you are a valuable user and most likely you would be a good admin.

To answer your questions:

1. Basically you would have to moderate the .ORG website. The .COM site is still in beta phase and for now no moderation is needed, but eventually .COM will take over .ORG completely. Moderating the forum could be an addition of your tasks, but for the moment I think this is not really necessary.

2. The basic tasks of an admin is to check and correct the latest uploads. That means for example checking/correcting episode numbers and titles, handling user reports and checking user comments, updating IMDb data if something is wrong or missing, deleting duplicates and machine translations. Basically keeping the site 'clean'. Further it would involve helping users where needed. You can choose to take more tasks, depending on what you like and how much time you have. As admin you get access to an admin-only part on the forum, and there you can find extensive information about what to do and how.

3. Basically admins should be present on a daily basis, but hey, I hope you understood ;-) it's a voluntary and unpaid job, and we are all humans. So of course you can go on a holiday, be ill for a few days or just temporarily have other priorities.
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

pipporan
Subtitles Admin

Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:39 am

ok...well, first of all, thanks for all the things said! if i do something, i try to do my best!

and of course, yes, it was obvious that it would be an unpaid job: on a totally free website, i wouldn't expect anything more than a thank (i very much like voluntary stuff without involvement of big organizations)
so, it would be, like i hoped, basically a subtitles' work (i prefer that way: i don't like classic internet quarreling between people... in more than 25 years of using internet, i think i got in one fight or two :D )
if you took a peek at my last comments, you saw my standard approach to people bothering: joking and messing around...but being an admin and confronting lots of people everyday, i dont know if i could still be "cool" :D
right in these days, i saw that the human factor is basically the same on opensubtitles.org too: users signed up from years who never upload a single sub but they dont miss a chance to downvote a sub manually translated by someone who took 10 hours of his time to do it (for a couple of words they didnt like), others who reply offending no matter what it was said, and so on...but it's useless that i tell you this stuff, you probably could write a university thesis about it, if you have been admin for a quite long time :D

back to the real "issues", my life is quite erratic (and i like it that way), so i'm sorry if i seem to be overthinking too much, but i take deals seriously: before giving my word, i like to know what's for me to expect and if i will be capable of sticking to the word i gave...

so, connected to what i just wrote, i ask you: how many italian admins are there, at the present time?
and, by your opinion and experience, is it possible to tell an ideal amount of time that one admin should spent, on a daily basis? or is it just something like "the more, the better"? :D

oss
Site Admin

Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:03 pm

:) what I see we have 3 Italian admins:
Italian - bubuloimare, NetFantasy, hazylum

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:59 am

@pipporan:

About users fighting: with so many people, personalities and approaches, it is inevitable that now and then irritations occur. But also here it's a matter of the admin 'choosing' what to do. Some admins just let users slaughter each other. Others spend more time on playing shrink, counselor, subtitling instructor and police than on the basic admin duties. It's up to you where you want to stand within this spectrum.

What I liked about some comments you wrote, is that you give your opinion in a calm and kind way, and provide sense making arguments. I think that's the way to interact in general, but especially for an admin. That being said, I haven't been always 'kind and calm', for example when users were physically threatening each other, including posting personal data and even photographs. Yes, I have some stories to tell ;-)

About time to spend as admin: once again, it depends on how much you want to do. And also on how 'busy' the Italian language section is, and how 'good' the uploaders are. But a quick look at the Italian section makes me think that on average probably half an hour per day would be enough. So even your 'rough' weeks would probably cover this. However, it's better to spend every day half an hour instead of 3,5 hours once a week. For example, horrible machine translations for a recent popular movie should be removed as soon as possible, because after one week, with zillions of downloads, most damage is already done...
I don't think it's an absolute case of "the more, the better". Maybe at the bottom, but at some point the work is done. There is no point in for example cleaning up 15 year old duplicates.

As Oss said: there are currently three Italian admins, but I am not sure how active they are. If there are more admins, ideally there should be some communication or consensus about certain things, but in most cases this wouldn't even be necessary.
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

pipporan
Subtitles Admin

Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:13 am

WOW! threateing to "expose" each others...FOR SOME SUBTITLES? great humanity, like always:-)
yeah, i dont see the point in relating each other like a big part of internet users, blowing off the steam insulting, duly covered behind an anonymous screen: not my style:-)...but i can imagine that if you have to manage a bit one site with thousands of users, not even a saint could always pass over all of that...

anyway, of the italian admins, one of them i've seen a lot, the other two were unknown to me (that doesnt mean nothing, just that i haven't seen them)...so yesterday i wrote to the "present" one to ask some advice, and i'm waiting for an answer...

in the meanwhile, i'm enjoying "playing" the admin part, reaching out some regular uploader and see how they approach, giving some tips about (down)voting subs, trying to spread the site policy...tiny bits of stuff like this, to test the waters and make my own opinion...

well, we will speak in a few days
for now, thanks again for the precious infos to both of you, and for the trust...bye!

pipporan
Subtitles Admin

Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:32 pm

hi guys.,.one of you has been a little rascal and made me admin before even telling me :D
while i was writing this exact post, my status has changed here on the forum too, so now i found what i was looking for, and there is no point in this post anymore :D
so, i just says thanks for the trust! :wink:

fun7om

Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:46 pm

GL & HF as Admin.

You worthy!

pipporan
Subtitles Admin

Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:34 pm

thank;-)

HenryCarlsen

Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:43 am

Hello.
I would like to apply for the title of admin to the Danish users.

We are missing an admin as there is no one now.

I have been on the page for less than a week and have already uploaded 118

Here is a link to my uploads.
https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/search ... 0/a-mysqld

Hope for good training on the site so we can keep having the best side.

My plans with upload I thought we should take privately as I don't really know how much you can write in the forum.

Hope for a positive answer ..

Henrycarlsen

[email address removed by SmallBrother]

HenryCarlsen

Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:45 am

I have 16TB NAS with movies and series I would like to upload to the site.

Are not many people uploading from Denmark, as I thought a Danish admin was missing.
I upload from one end and see where it brings me.
Good day.
If you are missing one by the page then say I am active 2-3 hours a day

Plus the time I spend on upload

Henrycarlsen

oss
Site Admin

Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:07 am

HI Henry

Thanks for uploads. We jsut want make sure future admins absolutely understand the rules. One of very important rule is to not upload any duplicates (of course we understand sometimes it can happen, but it should be avoided at all costs). I checked your uploads, and there are some questionable ones:
https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/subtit ... on-time-sv

so for make you admin, we need to understand, you are understanding this. No duplicates allowed for admins nor for anybody.

Danish admin is missing.

Return to “General talk”