Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
oss
Site Admin

Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:54 pm

ok, my function for parsing releasenames, filenames looks like this:

Code: Select all

//check if string contains some of: /* 720p 1080p 2160p HDTV BluRay HDDVD BD5 BD9 BDRIP BRRIP */ return preg_match('/720p|1080p|2160p|HDTV|Blu.?Ray|HD.?DVD|BD5|BD9|BD.?RIP|BR.?RIP/i', $string) ? 1 : 0;
I think it is ok from beggining. Also I agree, with HD should be marked everything, what is 720p and more (source material)

if you have some ideas, how to make it better, let me know.

ixquic

label confusing?

Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:17 pm

I've just come across these subs tagged "auto translated" by the uploader. But the comments say it's a manual translation ("I did my best"). Do people misunderstand "auto translated" to mean "I translated them myself"?

shantimar

Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:06 am

I'm new here on the forum, but not new to subtitles. I read with great interest this thread, and was happy to see thinking, earnest people, who take this at heart. That's why I decided to register and be of help if I can.
I like to watch Indian movies with my family and I've spent hours and hours editing and sometimes guessing. No, they were not machine subtitles, at least I don't think so, because they share some Indian mannerisms and common errors (I think I've learnt much about the syntax of Hindi!!!) but I didn't want the kids to be exposed to bad English. OK. Sometimes I left something as it was, because I couldn't understand at all what the translator meant, not even after watching the scene in the movie. Sometimes a letter was routinely replaced by another, for instance almost all "h" by a "b" but not all, because otherwise I'd transfer the file to Word and use "find and replace all" and be done with it. Whenever I was too tired to correct the whole movie, I left a part undone, and it really spoiled our enjoyment of it. Still it's better than nothing at all, as we don't understand Hindi.
So I'm grateful to the anonymous bad English speakers who did their best to help others.

I now have dozens of painstakingly corrected (and many times also painstakingly synchronized) subtitles, but I don't know whether uploading them would be any good. I'm shy of putting "corrected" on the title, as I've still left some things obscure, and someone might bash me for those, not knowing how bad the original was, and what a huge improvement this one is. I suppose one could add some comments, and ask speakers of the original language to improve on these. But how do you keep track? What should the next improver add to the title?
So yes, I'm all for a wiki kind of thing! There each one can add their bit.

BUT machine translations are another thing altogether. There, you really don't understand a single thing. I'm Greek, and once a foreign friend tried to send me an e-mail in Greek, translated with Google or something. I think I risked a heart attack or death by choking, with so much laughter - I almost fell out of the table, family rushed to see if I'm all right. I am grateful for that, because it was a rather boring and sad day, and laughter is good for health, but what I mean is that machine translations are not translations, they are a big joke, and in my opinion should be completely banned/removed. Even when there's nothing else available, because it is not better than nothing.

shantimar

Re: label confusing?

Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:23 am

I've just come across these subs tagged "auto translated" by the uploader. But the comments say it's a manual translation ("I did my best"). Do people misunderstand "auto translated" to mean "I translated them myself"?
Yes, I think that "auto - translated" for them means self-translated = by myself. It's a misunderstanding. It's better to find some tags and put them where they'll be visible.
For instance: translated by me, machine translated, copied/extracted from official DVD subs, etc...

Ron2239

good nes

Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:32 am

yeah,I wanna say that long time ago,and now my thought become true,that's awesome

arcchancellor

Re: label confusing?

Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:24 am

Yes, I think that "auto - translated" for them means self-translated = by myself. It's a misunderstanding. It's better to find some tags and put them where they'll be visible.
For instance: translated by me, machine translated, copied/extracted from official DVD subs, etc...
That's a mistake, which suggests itself for users from different countrys (include of my own ;-) )
Maybe a rename from "auto-translated" to "automatic-translated" or as you wrote, "machine-translated" would be a better choice.
"I don't believe in God. I just believe in Billy Wilder" - Fernando Trueba

oss
Site Admin

Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:08 pm

ok, try, it should be corrected now to machine translated...

praecept0r

Re: MACHINE TRANSLATION, NOTICE!

Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:47 am

People who post machine translation should be shot on the spot. No exceptions. Seriously, this is sheer nonsense. I don't see how having this is better than having nothing at all.

scooby007
Site Admin

Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:24 pm

Lol... When admins come across machine translations, they delete them on the spot, (I do) but those who’s English may not be as good as yours still find them useful (go figure). If your English is good, then your first impression is, “what on earth is going on here.” To those who are just trying to learn the language, it’s the best thing since sliced bread. Believe it or not, but they still find it useful :roll:

When you come across crappy subtitles, just report them using the following method: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2595

eduo

Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:13 pm

Lol... When admins come across machine translations, they delete them on the spot, (I do) but those who’s English may not be as good as yours still find them useful (go figure). If your English is good, then your first impression is, “what on earth is going on here.” To those who are just trying to learn the language, it’s the best thing since sliced bread. Believe it or not, but they still find it useful :roll:

When you come across crappy subtitles, just report them using the following method: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2595
I don't really think they find them useful. I think they think they're getting something better than they are. The problem with machine subtitles is that they *seem* like they make sense. The words are always proper words and what's lost is the sense. I've seen people being OK with machine translated subs until you point to them how incorrect they can be (it's astonishing how long it can look like they make sense, until you realize the so-called sister is in reality a good friend and it's OK for her to be making out with her "brother").

It's not that they're OK with machine-translated subs, it's that they think we exaggerate.

Edit: SolEol, the program I made to get Subs from OpenSubtitles, marks machine-translated subs as "BAD" and doesn't allow users to download them.
http://eduo.info/
[url=http://eduo.info/soleol/]OpenSubtitles from your desktop: SolEol for Mac/Windows/Linux[/url]
[url=http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php?showtopic=325&st=0&p=2480&#entry2480]My current episode processing work flow[/url].

scooby007
Site Admin

Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:50 pm

Edit: SolEol, the program I made to get Subs from OpenSubtitles, marks machine-translated subs as "BAD" and doesn't allow users to download them.
I think that program needs to be improved somehow. You also mark subtitles that are good as bad solely because they have a wrong hash submitted, I think that’s wrong. Wrong hashes should be reported. Marking perfectly good subs bad for that reason is… well, you know.

Incest, huh? Lol… all I meant was, they are probably to slow to compare the subtitle with the onscreen speech (you have to consider their English isn’t as good as yours) so the actual subtitle probably makes sense to them in relation to the action and movement of the characters in the movie???

eduo

Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:14 pm

I think that program needs to be improved somehow. You also mark subtitles that are good as bad solely because they have a wrong hash submitted, I think that’s wrong. Wrong hashes should be reported. Marking perfectly good subs bad for that reason is… well, you know.
I'm limited to what the API allows me to do. The API has changed since the last version of SolEol, so now there's a finer control, but I haven't implemented it yet because, frankly, what's the point? The API will never be fixed and it's not the priority any more of the site.

I can't even code for the program any more because the API is so bad I can't even test my changes. When I realized that half of the code I've done in the last 6 months is to handle errors in OpenSubtitles I decided to stop development altogether, until the API starts behaving or TV series support is added in.

I'm half crossing my fingers hoping someone will see the potential and create a new site with its own API, even if it needs to start from scratch. Fantastic efforts have brought us TheTVDB and TheMovieDB as alternative to poor or dead APIs from tv.com and imdb.com. Currently the only alternative is SubLight, and I think everyone knows what I think of that.
Incest, huh? Lol… all I meant was, they are probably to slow to compare the subtitle with the onscreen speech (you have to consider their English isn’t as good as yours) so the actual subtitle probably makes sense to them in relation to the action and movement of the characters in the movie???
Yeah. I understood what you meant. I was ellaborating on how that could be misleading. Not allowing any machine-translated subtitles forces the quality of the subs in general to be better, and doesn't pander to machine-translators (who think they're doing such a great job and can, obviously, translate hundreds of subs in an afternoon).
http://eduo.info/
[url=http://eduo.info/soleol/]OpenSubtitles from your desktop: SolEol for Mac/Windows/Linux[/url]
[url=http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php?showtopic=325&st=0&p=2480&#entry2480]My current episode processing work flow[/url].

EkinEkin

Re: MACHINE TRANSLATION NOTICE!

Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:33 pm

Dear Friends!
I wrote down recently as follows.
""MACHINE TRANSLATION subtitle translations are used a lot lately. Please do not use this process in translations. Because the aesthetic and emotion is lost in speeches. And so the movie comes across strange sentences are incomprehensible. They say that the translation is like a woman, if it is a faithful, is not beautiful, if it is beautiful is not faithful. Sometimes it can be difficult to decide which word is the correct meaning. In such cases, the fact that the right word with which it is transferred. However, sometimes the true is beautiful, but beautiful may not be accurate.""

After I entered them the site administrator warned me about the MACHINE TRANSLATION. Especially thank to site administor for informing me. GOOGLE TRANSLATE really is an issue with the translation that I don't like. I'm a newcomer to this new attention to a matter of fact I have uploaded as subtitles. Initially I didn't not pay attention at the beginning.
I have not used the MACHINE TRANSLATION function so far. But if there is the one I got from other subtitles that I send or rented, please delete them immediately. Including my own subtitles, I'll be glad if you warn me. No one wants to make a mistake, but there are still bugs. Thank you in advance for your interest.

EkinEkin

NerdNo1

Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:13 pm

Ok, I'm new here and I haven't read all the posts...

I can spot machinetranslations 99% of the time. I recognize some specific errors from their engine. I am however not talking about 'fansubs', I'm talking about retail DVD translations.

There are professional programs being used for this, other than Google's translate. Very sophisticated, still recognizable.
In the old days all movies were translated manually. Nowadays with the endless amounts of (14-in-a-dozen) TV-series it is done by machine, and edited afterwards.
You can spot it when you watch the movie/series and speak the language. You'll see slang misinterpreted or words that can have multiple meanings (power can be force, strength or even electric current). Only the high profile movies/series (Wall-E, House) specific m/s (Documentaries, Robot Chicken) are done manually for reasons already mentioned in this thread.

---

I'm not against machine-translations, but they need to be reworked, simply by reading it and altering the sentences so they are correct in grammar and meaning. After someone reworks them, they should then be tagged as regular. It's the same what studio's do... ;-)

PS: HD tags are unnecessary, the only tags that matter are releasename (IE HDTV-LOL or BRRip) and FPS, HD is only resolution, says nothing about FPS (NTSC= 23,976 or 29.97 and PAL= 25FPS). HD can mean 23,976, 24 or 25 FPS and any other FPS you can find, it depends on the source... People will quickly learn to recognize FPS rather than 'HD', but that's my opinion.

suadnovic

Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:00 am

I don't know, I wish to make suggestion... I comming years, Google Translate (GT) will be better, no doubt. Problem is, some languages (like my serbian) are to difficult for him in this moment.
How souds this: keep GT files at some place, wait someone do correct transation, than send it to Google to learn. Sounds pretty good to me, unfortunetly hard to achieve.

Return to “General talk”