Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
nicolas1999

Beginner's Question: Original and modified 24 FPS subtitles don't match

Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:35 pm

Hi everybody,

I am a brand new user and immediately VIP on OpenSubtitles since a few days.

I’ve been getting my hands on the whole Blu-ray ripping and remuxing thing since then, too - which means, I'm completely new to the game.

I’ve just encountered a strange problem though. I’ve ripped a French Potemkine Blu-ray (Sans Soleil) and extracted the French subtitle file. I’ve noticed that this Blu-ray is encoded in 24.0 FPS and not the more common 23.976 as, for example, the Criterion disc of the same film.

I’ve tried using OpenSubtitles’ VIP features to align the time code of the English subtitles with the French disc’s own subs to reflect the difference in opening logos etc. Additionally, I altered the FPS to reflect the difference from the English 23.976 to 24.0 to match the French.

Strangely, the downloaded file only matches at the beginning of the English and French subtitles though. Over time, the difference in the timecode increases ever so slightly.
For example, the final English timecode of the VIP-modified file is 01:40:38,440 and the unadjusted, extracted French subtitles are at 01:40:32,777. That seems insubstantial but when comparing with the video file, it sadly is quite the difference.

I feel like I missed an important step in the process which is necessary also when adjusting the subs of sources with other frame rates, such as 25 FPS or more.

I hope you can help me. That would be really wonderful. :)

FYI, I'm a Mac user. Hopefully there are tools which work on macOS as well without me having to create a Windows partition.

nicolas1999

Re: Beginner's Question: Original and modified 24 FPS subtitles don't match

Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:12 pm

Update: I found a Mac app which does what SubtitleEdit does as well. It's called Subs Factory and allows me to put in the ripped MKV file as well as the original subtitles and the downloaded ones for comparison. Re-syncing is way easier than I thought.

Hope this helps other newcomers as well!

scooby007
Site Admin

Re: Beginner's Question: Original and modified 24 FPS subtitles don't match

Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:35 pm

Hello,

I hope you uploaded that sync to the site... :D

All the programs you could ever need should be in this complied list for the future: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2881#p9206
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies who collect your data. Click below image for more details and reduce your online digital footprint.

Return to “General talk”