Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
SmallBrother
Site Admin

Re: SUBTITLE REQUEST - READ FIRST!

Fri May 29, 2015 10:20 am

Subtitles are not made by OpenSubtitles.org but by individual users. So we don't know, it all depends on them - it could be one day, one week, or more than a life time.

However, since you are new, if you keep an eye on new uploads, you will find out that some series are systematically translated/subtitled and you can make an estimation based upon the past. Also, popular and recent movies are more likely to be subbed soon. Patience and hope is the secret.
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

StuartMeiny

Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:27 am

I got question. Actually, maybe is more a idea than a question.

The request page is great and very clean. Really easy to understand and stuff. BUT, is limited. I say this because, in my case, I need to be more specific about my request, but I can't do it there, because I can't explain the situation.

I'm not making a request here, I'm just clarifying things. I want a English Scarface (1983) subtitle WITH the Spanish parts in it, you know? Because all of the subtitles that I downloaded and searched (I searched A LOT of them), are the same. Everytime that a Spanish conversation comes in, it appears "(SPEAKING IN SPANISH)" and it really bothers me. I wanted someone (probably a Spanish down to do it) to add the Spanish parts onto the subtitle (Not to translate, really add the words in Spanish). But I can't explain it there. How do I proceed?

Would be good to have something like a topic to explain what you want and stuff. Peace!

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:49 pm

I understand - it's not a normal request, but basically for missing parts (another language in your example).
We (or rather, the coder) would have to think about how to implement such a thing in the request page.

Meanwhile, I think it's not a good idea to have a forum topic dedicated to such cases, it would be flooded in no-time.
You could add a request for the movie and use the field "Comment" to explain. Write something like "Only the Spanish spoken parts, may be translated into English or just the actual spoken Spanish text".
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.

sterredag

Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:49 pm

I think the request section is a good idea. However not that fond of the way it works. Why should a request be at front if more people ask it, while in the mean while someone could do a subtitle for a not much requested movie too. In this way the "most wanted" subtitles will always be in front of que. Why not make it a Que line (in order of request) in stead of "most wanted". And when a subtitle makers can't do a certain request he can go down the line. Or making it some kind of "points" system from date of request and people who ask for it. So the longer a request is on there, the more points it will get and also the more people who ask for it, the more points it will get.

Of course the motivation of translating something like 'games of thrones" is high. But then it will get lots of request or people just voluntear to do it anyway. In my case I was surprised I didn't see a single english sub for the "judging amy" series. But I dont think many people will request an english sub for an english series (although i would love to have dutch I just wanted to make it more easier for the makers and there are are lot more english writers then other languages) Such a series with evne 6 seisons and no subs and me the only one asking for it, but will never get there probably, because this sytem is based on "popularity" in stead of "waiting time" or a combination of that.

I believe a combination of it would be the best way to go. A point for every day (or week or month) in request and a point for every request together something like that.

That said. I love your website overall. I wanted to upload some own synced subs, but because not every sub needs sync I always forgot wich ones i synced myself. Go on with the good work (here in holland there has been a court whether or not we are allowed to place dutch subs online) So you guys are the best other way tot get my subs from. I understand English just fine, I just have a trouble understanding from hearing and reading helps me so much more.

And, it would be nice if a request can't only be found by language of the sub, but also by language of the movie/series... e.g. I'm dutch. So If I wanna help out, I would like to find Dutch movies to translate to English. But that English list is LOOOONG and hard to find movies I can help out with.

Phatcat19

Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:30 am

Hello Everyone,

What if you're requesting English subtitles for a movie that you know exist but simply can't find?!!!

S******e (2016)
imdb: tt60***90
(Title and IMDb ID masked by SmallBrother)

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:40 pm

What do you mean with "a movie that you know exist but simply can't find"...?
You know the title, you know the IMDb ID, so you can simply make a request for that movie.
Where is the problem?

MartinX

Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:44 pm

It is not that I requesting anything, but it is strange that Midsomer Murders season 20 got subtitles for 3 episodes few weeks ago, a not for last 3.

DBZ

Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:21 pm

What's the procedure to follow after requesting in https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/request

Funchalense
Site Admin

Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:05 pm

You have to wait, then, when the subtitle for your request is available.
You will receive an email informing that the subtitle for the request you have made is already available on the website.

DBZ

Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:47 pm

Is there an estimate period of time?
In what order are the projects chosen?
How is the editing work distributed?

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:29 pm

Is there an estimate period of time?
In what order are the projects chosen?
How is the editing work distributed?
The subs are created by volunteers - solo translators or people working in a team. There is no structure whatsoever... The criteria to choose which movie or tv show to translate differs per person: a movie or tv show they personally like, others choose for 'most requests', new and popular, or one very specific genre, theme or director, some translate only old movies without any subtitles, etc. etc. Basically it could be anything.

Therefore requests could be fulfilled after three days, three years or never. Only if some translator is making subtitles for one specific tv series, and he/she is doing this clearly regularly, you could expect the next episode in that same rhythm. But still, no guarantee.

DBZ

Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:50 pm

Currently the term SUBTITLES emcompasses two very different concepts:

1) transcription of the original audio, that is exact Closed Captions

2) a translation of the original language into a foreign one (including fan-made unofficial dubs)

I find the second type only for movies which are dubbed to English long after their releases in the original language.
Therefore, there may be several available subs in English, but none matches the English version.
In my requests this issue is quite deceptive: https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/search ... id-6743517

Therefore, I suggest making available in the request forms the specification of either type.

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:12 pm

Normally, English subtitles for an English spoken movie should be an exact verbatim transcript.
Subtitles in any other language would be an interpretation of what is said.

So, if you state the language and the movie, it is already clear 'by conclusion' what you want.
In addition you could mention something explicitely in the Comment text box.

DBZ

Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:07 pm

So, if you state the language and the movie, it is already clear 'by conclusion' what you want.
Unfortunately, all the 19 Dragon Ball movies suffer this issue:
for example "Dragon Ball Battle of Gods" has 7 different "English" subtitles uploaded by different users, but all of them are a translation of the Japanese audio, instead of the verbatim transcript of the English version.
Secondly, for many subtitles the COMMENT SECTION is not available: for example, you cannot comment in any of the following
https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/search ... uageid-eng

¿How could these issues be solved?

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:51 pm

Unfortunately, all the 19 Dragon Ball movies suffer this issue:
for example "Dragon Ball Battle of Gods" has 7 different "English" subtitles uploaded by different users, but all of them are a translation of the Japanese audio, instead of the verbatim transcript of the English version.
Ah, now I see what you mean. Yes, that is a problem - because they are translations of Japanese, and uploaders/translators cannot know (in advance) that later on there will be an English dubbed version. The thinking is "obviously this is a translation, it cannot be a verbatim transcript".
Afterwards, the conclusion can only be made by looking at the given release name, provided that you know which one is an original Japanese and which one is a dubbed English version.
Secondly, for many subtitles the COMMENT SECTION is not available: for example, you cannot comment in any of the following
https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/search ... uageid-eng
Maybe we misunderstand. I meant the comment input field when you make a request:

Here you could write the exact release name of the dubbed English version and explain you want a literal transcript of the English spoken text.

However, I would not want to give you false hope, I estimate the chances of people making such subs are close to zero. Mostly because anybody who would want to watch an English dubbed version would not need subtitles. Hearing impaired people would not care to have a translation of the Japanese instead of a literal transcript of English text, which is a translation already anyway.
¿How could these issues be solved?
I am afraid not...

Return to “General talk”