Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
DBZ
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:08 pm

Re: SUBTITLE REQUEST - READ FIRST!

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:08 pm

SmallBrother wrote:only be made by looking at the given release name, provided that you know which one is an original Japanese and which one is a dubbed English version..


This is the problem: when requesting, the box with "IMDB ID" automatically chooses the title of the original movie audio.
Again, the English version titled "Dragon Ball the battle of Gods" ends up as "Dragon Ball Z: Doragon boru Z - Kami to Kami (2013)".

isn't a thread in the forum where I can post this issue for subtitles creators to read it? Non native speakers would be so interested in having the verbatim scripts of such DB movies , and after 20-25 years of their release, it's about time.

User avatar
SmallBrother
Site Admin
Posts: 2708
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:59 pm
Location: Somewhere on this globe

Re: SUBTITLE REQUEST - READ FIRST!

Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:30 pm

Still I see no reason why someone would want specifically 1. an English dubbed version AND 2. exact verbatim subtitles of that English text.
But that's an other story.

DBZ wrote:
SmallBrother wrote:only be made by looking at the given release name, provided that you know which one is an original Japanese and which one is a dubbed English version..


This is the problem: when requesting, the box with "IMDB ID" automatically chooses the title of the original movie audio.
Again, the English version titled "Dragon Ball the battle of Gods" ends up as "Dragon Ball Z: Doragon boru Z - Kami to Kami (2013)".


Here is a misunderstanding: the title being in English or in Japanese is NOT an indication of the movie being in original Japanese or in dubbed English. It is just a way of indicating the movie. It's about the title of the movie.

Release name is something else. This is the name given by the scene and indicates the actual video file. For example (I make this up on the spot, they are not real, just to illustrate my example) these releases could all be video files with Japanese as spoken language:
Dragon.Ball.the.battle.of.Gods.2013.1080p.BluRay.H264.AAC-RARBG
Dragon.Ball.the.battle.of.Gods.2013.720p.WEB-DL.DD5.1.H264-FGT
Doragon.boru.Z.Kami.to.Kami.2013.BRRip.XviD.AC3-XVID

If the release is a dubbed version, often some indicator is added in the release name. So these could be English dubbed versions:
Dragon.Ball.the.battle.of.Gods.2013.English.720p.WebRip.DD5.1.H264-YIFY
Dragon.Ball.the.battle.of.Gods.Doragon.boru.Z.Kami.to.Kami.2013.Audio-ENG.DVDRip.XviD-T4P3
Doragon.boru.Z.Kami.to.Kami.2013.10bit.BluRay.6CH.[Eng].x265.HEVC-PSA

See what I mean?
1. You make a request for some movie. The IMDb ID identifies the movie, the displayed title is in English or in Japanese, but that doesn't matter.
2. You choose the language you want.
3. You state the release name you want the subtitles for.

So:
Since the release is English spoken and the wanted subtitle is English, they should be verbatim.
But since the original movie is Japanese, an small additional explanation would be better.

DBZ
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:08 pm

Re: SUBTITLE REQUEST - READ FIRST!

Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:43 pm

SmallBrother wrote: If the release is a dubbed version, often some indicator is added in the release name. So these could be English dubbed versions:
Dragon.Ball.the.battle.of.Gods.2013.English.720p.WebRip.DD5.1.H264-YIFY
Dragon.Ball.the.battle.of.Gods.Doragon.boru.Z.Kami.to.Kami.2013.Audio-ENG.DVDRip.XviD-T4P3
Doragon.boru.Z.Kami.to.Kami.2013.10bit.BluRay.6CH.[Eng].x265.HEVC-PSA


Do you know if DVDs info. specifies whether they contain English subs for the English dubbed version? If so, they could just be extracted.
Funimation's streaming service does have subtitles for the movies, yet it's not available in my country.

Otherwise, where can I post to encourage subs creators to transcribe through this series?

User avatar
SmallBrother
Site Admin
Posts: 2708
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:59 pm
Location: Somewhere on this globe

Re: SUBTITLE REQUEST - READ FIRST!

Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:51 pm

DBZ wrote:Do you know if DVDs info. specifies whether they contain English subs for the English dubbed version? If so, they could just be extracted.
Funimation's streaming service does have subtitles for the movies, yet it's not available in my country.

DVD's etc. often mention the audio languages and the subtitles on the outside of the box. Not always, though.

DBZ wrote:Otherwise, where can I post to encourage subs creators to transcribe through this series?

Specifically for this title? Sorry, only in the request section, not on this forum. Besides, you already kind of did it anyway ;-)

DBZ
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:08 pm

Re: SUBTITLE REQUEST - READ FIRST!

Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:52 am

SmallBrother wrote: I want to introduce my little son to DB from the beginning, such as the first four movies.
Since the release is English spoken and the wanted subtitle is English, they should be verbatim.
But since the original movie is Japanese, an small additional explanation would be better.


That's why I suggest introducing such specification, namely English dubtitles vs. translation subtitles, which would improve greatly the user experience as well as completing subs once uploaders notice the confusion.

DBZ
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:08 pm

Re: SUBTITLE REQUEST - READ FIRST!

Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:53 pm

I've found the whole script of the movie I want subs for. How can I request it?
http://www.angelfire.com/ultra/saiyansf ... ripts.html

User avatar
SmallBrother
Site Admin
Posts: 2708
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:59 pm
Location: Somewhere on this globe

Re: SUBTITLE REQUEST - READ FIRST!

Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:44 pm

DBZ wrote:I've found the whole script of the movie I want subs for. How can I request it?
http://www.angelfire.com/ultra/saiyansf ... ripts.html


The same like anything else:
- State the movie title
- State the language
- Add some description about what you really want.

But... seeing the fact that you have found the verbatim script... that you REALLY like to have the subs... that a request might take forever... you might be able to do it yourself.

Return to “General talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests