Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
loninapleton

Subtitle Edit is there a topic for that on open subtitles

Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:14 am

I have seen the Doom9 Subtitle Edit forum . I'm looking for an alternative. Anyone on opensubtitles willing to help with noob questions I can't get a response on? The first question is: I have subtitle that shows all the same time length 5 ms or whatever the code is. These should be variable to the speeches. How can this happen and is there a correction?

scooby007
Site Admin

Re: Subtitle Edit is there a topic for that on open subtitles

Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:37 pm

Not sure if I understand the question, so others may not, either. Explain it in a noob way.
And a picture of the srt contents may also help. And explain what you are trying to achieve. Then the community may be able to help better.

There isn't a specific dedicated thread to it, but you can search using the search feature, there are a lot of topics on the subject.
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies who collect your data. Click below image for more details and reduce your online digital footprint.

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Re: Subtitle Edit is there a topic for that on open subtitles

Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:32 pm

How can this happen and is there a correction?

From what I understood, you mean something like this:

00:02:47,000 --> 00:02:47,005
Mr Lee, ik ben Braithwaite.

00:02:53,000 --> 00:02:53,005
Ik heb een belangrijke zaak te bespreken.

00:02:57,000 --> 00:02:57,005
Thee?
- Erg graag.

00:03:03,000 --> 00:03:03,005
Heerlijk weertje.

00:03:15,000 --> 00:03:15,005
Ik wil spreken over een karatetoernooi.

Am I right?

Of course, subtitle sequences should (at least) go together with speech, so a fixed duration for each sequence must be wrong.

How to correct this?

Additional speech recognition software may help you a bit, but it surely wouldn't be enough. After all, subtitles should not only follow speech, but also allow enough time to read. Typically, speaking goes faster than reading, so in reality, if the translation text is not shortened (compressed), the subtitle sequence must be visible (much) longer than the actual speech. So, to correct this, you probably have to go through each sequence, one by one, to adjust it. It goes without saying that this is a very time consuming job.
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

Return to “General talk”