Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
Noobz4Life

Issues with converting .sub to .srt

Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:08 am

Hi

I normally convert all .sub files into .srt because few video players (mainly Synology Video Station) is not a big fan of .sub files.

Main app is Subtitle Edit and it has nice mass convert function,
It is sadly not very good, or at least I'm getting poor quality conversions time to time.
(even when frame rate is in first line)

My backup tools:
a) Aegisub
b) subtitletools.com
And always at least one of these as always worked.

I would like to hear your ideas for good tool for my needs.
If there other safe/good apps that can handle batch conversions?

mrtinkles
Subtitles Admin

Re: Issues with converting .sub to .srt

Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:23 am

For Windows O/S, switched from Subtitle Edit to SubExtractor for idx/sub conversion awhile back. Much better OCR engine and reliability. Does not have the bulk conversion capability, but it is extremely fast and efficient. Will require some learning inputs for character recognition and for character offset spacing (usually italics). There is also a trick to file naming pre-processing, which will avoid repetitive learning inputs for subsequent files when doing series episodes. I find that I can convert complete TV seasons with this program much faster than with the bulk convert feature of Subtitle Edit I used previously, and with minimal errors to correct post review.

https://www.videohelp.com/software/SubExtractor

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:29 pm

SubExtractor
It's a bit old and not anymore developed, but if you say it does the job and does it well, I added it to the list of useful software.
Thanks for the tip.
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

mrtinkles
Subtitles Admin

Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:27 pm

Many thanks to arcchancellor, and his recommendations from a previous forum post:

Re: OCR and italic
Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:38 pm

"Meanwhile (over 1 1/2 years ago) I changed to DvdSubExtractor with best results.
The handling is a little different from other mentioned programs. But the Extractor provides several clear advantages:"

viewtopic.php?f=1&hilit=Sub%20Extractor ... fc3974baba

Return to “General talk”