Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
eliz82

aggressive atitude on this website

Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:05 pm

Hello, I'm a person who usually re-sync or create original subtitles (some of them in premiere on the internet) for Romanian language. I had around 110 uploaded subtitles all made by me, I do not copy subtitles from other places. I only upload on this website.

Last night I wanted to make a Romanian translation of subtitle of the movie Halloween Kills (2021), because I didn't find any on the internet. The video file I had came with a hearing impaired version of the english subtitle.
I have made a search on opensubtitles.org in order to download a non hearing impaired version to use it for my translation. I only found subtitles in other languages, not english. I found this weird.
I edited the english subtitle that I had, deleting the hearing impaired phrases (using multiple regex search and replace), added a +500ms delay. Then I uploaded this english subtitle made by me. Made a search again to see if my subtitle that I just uploaded appear in the search. I had a surprise, my subtitle do not appear in the search, but I see two english versions of the subtitle that I did not see in my first search ... weird.
I go to "Uploads" in the website menu in order to disable my subtitle to not be a duplicate. I don't see the subtitle, only my older subtitles. So I had no possibility to disable it.
Then I started working on the Romanian translation on my PC.

I open my mail next day, and I see 2 mails from opensubtitles.org . One telling me someone has disabled the subtitle. Then second mail with:
https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/profile/iduser-1553240
[ADMIN WARNING] was enabled by explosiveskull - Sun 17 Oct 00:31:31 2021 . Comment: Been on the site for 8 years, long time uploader, and uploads duplicate subtitles. If it was up to me, you would've been banned, not warned.

I'm really disappointed after so many years to see such an aggressive attitude around here, marking my profile with a message like that. I could have kept my re-syncs and my translations for me and my friends, but because I also download subtitles from here I said it would be nice to give something back to the community. But now I see some admin want me out of here because I made a mistake. Dear @explosiveskull I have edited/disabled all my subtitles and I will not upload anymore. I have banned myself. Good luck building a durable community on such attitude like yours.

explosiveskull

Re: aggressive atitude on this website

Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:49 am

I don't have time to read your essay, dude, but hope you find some place that's okay with your behavior. If you haven't learned anything here after 8 years and being a long-time uploader, I don't think there's anything we can do to improve the situation. It's all on you.

hector

Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:27 pm

I have made a search on opensubtitles.org in order to download a non hearing impaired version to use it for my translation. I only found subtitles in other languages, not english. I found this weird.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15275

explosiveskull

Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:52 pm

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15275
Not sure how this is related to the quoted part, but in case someone's reading this without having the context, what eliz82 said was not true and we already had those subtitles on the site. He should just be more careful in the future when he's searching for something.

oss
Site Admin

Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:07 am

@explosiveskull - well, good work, he disabled all of his uploads...but I see you already see it and respond in his profile

lets hope he will reconsider.

Lucky4Me

Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:02 pm

From time to time, opensubtitles has some struggles with various things.
I have had the same problems with different subs, you can even read some of it on the dutch section. viewtopic.php?f=31&t=17074 and that's just about Star Wars The Clone Wars and not about the rest.

It's not that we have the intension to upload duplicates, but it's due to the site that's having problems. And what do you do, if you can't find a sub on opensubtitles and you have him on your HD. Ofcourse you upload him. And then suddenly, for some unkown reason, you check the page and you see 2, 3 or more subs are present for that language, while, before you uploaded him, there was none.

Bare this in mind, that its not always the upper his fault. Luckily we have SmallBrother for the dutch section, Someone who has alot of patience and who knowns that the site is buggy.

I hope/wish all the mods could follow his example and give the upper the benefit of the doubt, instead of using the hammer.

We are only humans, we make mistakes but if the site has problems, then you can expect things like this.

explosiveskull

Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:25 pm

@explosiveskull - well, good work, he disabled all of his uploads...but I see you already see it and respond in his profile

lets hope he will reconsider.
We have talked things out with SmallBrother. If necessary, he can confirm.

oss
Site Admin

Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:55 pm

ok, good

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:12 am

We have talked things out with SmallBrother. If necessary, he can confirm.

Yes. When I saw this topic, my main feeling was "sad". Sad, because both eliz82 and explosiveskull did what they thought was best and they just made a mistake along the way. With a bit more mutual understanding and better communication, this could have been avoided.

I hope also eliz82 can understand, forgive and will be back - and that's it.
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

Return to “General talk”