Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
American_school

Please create us a Facebook group and Discord server for subtitlers to join and cooperate on projects

Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:24 pm

Hello.
Could you please create us a Facebook group and a Discord server for the Opensubtitles.org website so that members can join and cooperate on subtitle projects. I'm looking for some people to help with several projects at the time.
Thank you.

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Re: Please create us a Facebook group and Discord server for subtitlers to join and cooperate on projects

Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:54 pm

For privacy and security reasons it is NOT a good idea if users of Opensubtitles.org would join such a Facebook group.
And further, anything you would want to discuss there, you could discuss here.
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

American_school

Re: Please create us a Facebook group and Discord server for subtitlers to join and cooperate on projects

Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:12 pm

If Facebook group is not the good idea how about a Discord server. Is it safe for our privacy and security.

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:21 pm

You mean a Discord server as in a server to be able to make voice/video calls? I am not the one to decide, but to me it seems a bit like overkill. Once again, users can communicate publicly through forum posts and privately by forum PM's.

What would justify an additional feature like a Discord server?
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.

American_school

Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:40 pm

Well I don't know much but I joined some Discord servers for programmers and English language learners' society and it's really helpful. We can exchange messages between group of people pretty quickly via mobile app. In the server we may create channels and if someone has a project needs others' help he may ask and the moderator can create a group for all of the members working. Inside a group chat we can exchange the data files and work messages. Well I'm not a technical expert, I don't know very mmuch,and my English is not very good either but I feel the Discord app is really handy. You can find a server to test at this site.

https://disboard.org/search

By the way if I have a movie with the video and the raw sub need to be fixed, how can I find someone to help on the site.

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:29 pm

Although this forum is not specifically made for the kind of teamwork you describe, I think it can more or less be used as such, isn't it? For example, in the Dutch section (I am an admin for the Dutch section), there is a whole bunch of topics about all kinds of aspects in regards to subtitling, from extensive subtitling guidelines to tutorials how to use Subtitle Edit. Any specific questions asked are most likely answered. The interface is not as you describe Discord server, but basically, on this forum you already have a selection of dedicated subtitling minded users.

For example, your last question could be a forum topic. Feel free to create one and see what happens.

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:32 pm

Feel free to create one and see what happens.
Ah, now I see you already did :)

Return to “General talk”