Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
koberulz

The Pianist

Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:09 pm

I have the German Blu of The Pianist, which has no English subs. Easy enough to solve, though, just download subs from here!

Except I can't find a single file that syncs. They all drift, some by a second or so, others by several seconds or even minutes. Correcting for frame rate doesn't help.

Is the German Blu just a dramatically different cut of the film somehow, or are these files genuinely all this bad?

Funchalense
Site Admin

Re: The Pianist

Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:21 pm

I have the German Blu of The Pianist, which has no English subs. Easy enough to solve, though, just download subs from here!

Except I can't find a single file that syncs. They all drift, some by a second or so, others by several seconds or even minutes. Correcting for frame rate doesn't help.

Is the German Blu just a dramatically different cut of the film somehow, or are these files genuinely all this bad?

You have to correct the sync, for that you can use programs like Subtitle workshop or subtitle edit.
As you say you have already tried some subtitles, if it is to synchronize, use the subtitle that drift by a second or so.
I think it will be the easiest to get right.

An example with the subtitle workshop, which is what I use :

Your subtitle is, for example, 2 seconds before the speech, you have to delay them. You do this by going to Edit -> Timings -> and pressing Set delay (Ctrl + D).
As the subtitle is delayed 2 seconds, you put + 00: 00: 02,000. If the subtitle is ahead, use the - instead of the +

koberulz

Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:56 pm

I know how to adjust sync. They're all off by about 15 seconds at the start, which I assume is just different startup logos or whatever.

But they all drift. And if I use point sync to get the first subtitle correct and the last subtitle correct, it still drifts over the course of the film. So it's obviously not a constant drift.

Funchalense
Site Admin

Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:27 pm

I know how to adjust sync. They're all off by about 15 seconds at the start, which I assume is just different startup logos or whatever.

But they all drift. And if I use point sync to get the first subtitle correct and the last subtitle correct, it still drifts over the course of the film. So it's obviously not a constant drift.

But that of sync the first and the last line, does not always result. You will have to sync the parts that are not synchronized.
You must have one of those releases whose every change of scene/black screen, changes the timings.
You have to correct the sync over the course of the film.

scooby007
Site Admin

Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:08 am

The Pianist 2002 version, right?
It's got over two pages of subtitles for that movie, one would assume at least one of those subs would fit.

Try dragging your video file from your folder to the left of the search bar on the site (the folder looking icon with a cursor on it) and drop the video file on there. See if that finds a sync to your release automatically.
If there are any results by doing the above, then check them out.
Fingers crossed.

If that doesn't work, I can only assume you will have to use the "point sync" feature in more places than one. If more than 3 or 4 points are required, that sub may be more trouble than it's worth.
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies who collect your data. Click below image for more details and reduce your online digital footprint.

Return to “General talk”