Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
scooby007
Site Admin

Re: Comments

Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:48 pm

[Edit SmallBrother]
For the record: The topic starter (username "Subbetje") has deleted his account and all of his posts. While we can only guess WHY Subbetje did that, it makes this topic a bit weird to read and understand. However, with the replies of the other users, a good reader will be able to conclude a part of the nonsense written by Subbetje.

First reply post:

HI,

Admins don't get notifications for that, so there is nothing to switch off.
We can just check all subs that have received comments via settings. Mostly these checks are done to detect spam messages or users commenting that the subtitle is incorrect instead of using the "correct subtitle" feature to report incorrect details. I guess that's why some admins maybe don't like it, as they have to check more subtitles than needed to find spam or incorrect subtitles.

And, yes, I agree that just a simple "thank you" is still better than just using the "thank you" button. As you said, it adds that personal touch which most subbers still appreciate.

I was having this very conversation with an admin over a week ago and said it should be allowed. If it's a problem for the end user, which I doubt, then the user can switch off their own personal notifications from their profile.
Maybe best to have a word with the admin and share your feelings.
Or maybe have a poll in the forum.

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Re: Comments

Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:04 pm

I am the admin who is removing written thank you's in the Dutch section.

Apparently you are aware of what's happening, so you must have read the subtitle pages and forum posts where things were already discussed:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=17202
https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/subtit ... ode-1-3-nl including a link to https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/profile/iduser-3272730 with some more explanations (comments SmallBrother @ 2020-09-16 08:32:00 and following)

One of the things stated in that forum topic, is that there is no such thing as notifications for admins about every comment made. So I don't understand why you come here and ask for such notifications to be switched off.

Besides, this wouldn't be a good idea anyway. As Scooby007 already said, and which is explained in the mentioned posts as well: some admins (I am one of them) are reading all comments on the subtitle pages. To indeed check for spam etc. or subtitle data which need to be corrected, but also for any other user interaction. But it's not only about the admin. The comment feature is the first place where users ask for help or communicate with each other. That's why it's good this comment feature exists.

A few random examples of such two-way communication:
https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/subtit ... e-truth-nl
https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/subtit ... outpost-nl
https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/subtit ... cognome-nl
https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/subtit ... ode-2-1-nl
https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/subtit ... ode-1-2-nl
and -ironically- of course also the aforementioned
https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/subtit ... ode-1-3-nl

Too many written thank you's flood the comment system and frustrate this communication. At some point we had multiple users writing multiple thank you's on a daily basis. This is when I started to contact some 'serial-thankers', asking them to limit it a bit. In some cases that didn't work, because (oh, the irony) they hadn't read my explanation and request. Every written thank you is inviting others to do the same. One user even wrote this is 'how it should be' and that the thank you button is 'rude'. The number of thank you's were increasing day by day and things were getting out of hand. So Lately I (also) started removing comments which are basically only a thank you.

Users switching off notifications is only partially solving this problem, but fully killing all further communication. Admins stopping to read the comments would be bad news as well.
In the Dutch section, all comments are removed that have a thank you in them as per reason 'theres a thank you button to thank'. That's why some are considering moving elsewhere because they like to see people be happy, but it's not allowed by the admins.
I agree that a written thank you is a nicer piece of appreciation. I understand for some uploaders it's important to receive such appreciation. And I am totally aware that removing such comments is 'not nice' for those uploaders nor the users who wrote them. Trust me, I am not quite having fun doing so.

But that's only one side. The other side is explained here and as said on a few other places. Just like in real life, OpenSubtitles is a community with many users and many different categories of users. Every user and user category has different wishes and needs, which are sometimes conflicting. Then it's a matter of weighing all different interests and considerations, and trying to find a reasonable solution.

If users really want to write a thank you instead of just clicking the button, and uploaders really want to receive such written thank you's, they can be written on that user's PROFILE page. That way, the downloader can still write his appreciation, the uploader still gets the appreciation, but it is not in the way of other users.

Except for your message here, I have no indication that uploaders want to move elsewhere because of this. On the contrary, I did see a couple of users showing their understanding for this side of the story, which they initially were not aware of. And this makes sense, because any adult will understand that things cannot always be perfect for everybody and exactly how you would like it to be. That's the problem of not being alone.
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Re: Subtitle Comments Section

Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:43 pm

Dear subbetje,

The timing of your reply in this topic is quite remarkable, to say the least. Today is a few days after you were banned for starting and not wanting to stop a fight with your deepest rival, like a zillion times and a zillion usernames before. I suppose you needed a few days to find a stick to hit with. I suppose you are upset you were banned and your rival wasn't. The reason for that is not the 'romance' you were referring to, but the simple fact that your rival calmed down, while you on the contrary quite didn't.

While you are Dutch and you know I am Dutch and apparently you read everything which is written on the site and the forum, it's remarkable you started this topic and now posted your reply here, in English. Do you want to communicate about this specific issue? Or do you have some hidden agenda, perhaps?

The pattern is quite remarkable too: provocations, twisted facts (to put it mildly), mood-setting statements and red-herring techniques. I am sure some world famous people would be jealous of your crafty skills.

A few examples from your latest post:

●  You obviously don't want to be bothered reading over all sorts of comments
The issue was about plain and very frequent and repetitive thank-you's, wasn't it? Not about "all sorts of comments".

●  because it suits your own agenda to have a clean looking website.
I have no problem with any other communication, see the examples I gave in my previous post. It doesn't quite look like I want a "clean looking website", does it?

●  But you can't expect users to read their own profiles if they don't even know how to.
If a comment is written on their profile page, they will get an email notification with a link to their profile page. I don't think it requires rocket science to click that link, does it? If that user turns off notifications, or doesn't monitor the given email address, then -unfortunately- there is only one way left to 'communicate'.

●  Instead you block them from using the site
I don't block them to use the site. They can continue using the site, downloading subs as they like.

●  only because they appreciate the subtitles being shared.
I don't block them because they appreciate, but because they use the site's features too frequently in the wrong way, which is frustrating the needs and wishes of other users.

Etc.

Further, setting users to read-only for this reason has been used three times. In two of those three cases this has been reversed after some communication. So there is literally only ONE case left, the case you mentioned. So also "them" and "they" (plural) is a tiny bit inappropriate and giving false impressions, isn't it?

So here we are. Once again I have spent way too much time on refuting your... eeeeh... statements. I will not continue to do so, because it always takes much more time to refute such statements than writing them. I am sorry, I have better things to do.

I saw you already made your umpteenth new user account and uploaded already 13 episodes and one movie subtitle. Thank you. Although you were declared persona non grata a while ago for deliberately falsifying credits (and laughing about it), I will pretend not knowing it's you. Even you will get a second, or rather 17th chance. However, if you misbehave (again), you will be banned (again).

[Edit]
I am sorry. I miscounted. I only know of 16 previous accounts, not 17. My sincere apologies for being inaccurate.

Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Re: Subtitle Comments Section

Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:48 pm

A bit too late -- I've already read your last post before you replaced it with "remove pls". Thank god you realized just in time it was not extremely intelligent to show your real face to the whole world. But don't worry, it was probably only me who saw your initial post.

For me, it doesn't really matter, I already 'know' you. And I was not going to reply to your attempted insults, calling names and vague ill-founded accusations anyway, except for maybe one single general statement, which will pretty much cover everything:
In psychology we call this "projection".

I noticed you deleted your brand new account again. I assume that was because I made clear I knew it was you. I am sorry. Next time I will say nothing and really pretend I don't know from the start. And then my counting 17 will be correct as well.

Return to “General talk”