Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
brihanala78

Is an app downloading subtitles from OpenSubtitles.org infringing copyright?

Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:32 pm

I'm trying to submit an app to Mac App Store that downloads subtitles for a video you have on your computer in a language of your choosing. It uses OpenSubtitles.org API to download subtitles from their website. Subtitles are matched by a hashcode algorithm provided by OpenSubtitles.

There are two points I was trying to get through with Apple in terms of copyright infringement:

users must already own the rights to videos they're searching the subtitles for. Also, the app cannot be tricked into downloading a subtitle for a video you do not have (using the hashcode means you can't just change the name of the video, it'll still find the subtitles for the original video. Also, no manual input of a video name is allowed).

OpenSubtitles.org have granted me permission to use their API, both as part of registering as a developer and in written form (which was submitted to Apple). Their content is completely community created.

I understand that legally this is a grey area at best, but App Store (both iOS and Mac) have numerous apps that advertise using OpenSubtitles and downloading files there. I was just wondering whether there's anything else I can try and do because obviously I'm not going to get written permission from movie companies.

Return to “General talk”