Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
montel

How to select the correct srt file

Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:06 pm

How do I select the correct srt file from a list of files? I'm sometimes having trouble finding one that's in sync with the film sound. There must be a way to look at the written details of the files to make a correct selection. What I've done that works is download/setup and try it. If it doesn't work, try another one. I'm here today for help because I've tried several files and they're all way off. The film I'm working on has a video codec 264 but none of the srt files list the video codec for this film. So I'm not sure that this information is important. Please accept my apology if I should have found a thread here that would explain my problem.

Funchalense
Site Admin

Re: How to select the correct srt file

Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:44 pm

How do I select the correct srt file from a list of files? I'm sometimes having trouble finding one that's in sync with the film sound. There must be a way to look at the written details of the files to make a correct selection. What I've done that works is download/setup and try it. If it doesn't work, try another one. I'm here today for help because I've tried several files and they're all way off. The film I'm working on has a video codec 264 but none of the srt files list the video codec for this film. So I'm not sure that this information is important. Please accept my apology if I should have found a thread here that would explain my problem.

You have to see the movie file you have.
The release name.
For example if you have Avengers.Endgame.2019.1080p.BluRay
then you have to download the .srt that is synchronized to the versions for blurays.
The same for the web-dl / webrip versions,

If none of them are synchronized with the version you have, you have to synchronize it.
For that you can use subtitle edit or subtitle workshop-

See this : viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17203

Cumps

montel

Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:39 am

Thanks Funchalense for the info. I downloaded the SE 3.5.16 and although I'll have to learn how to use it, it's showed me what my problem has been. When loading the video and .srt , I see my problem is what I have is NOT a version of any of the sub files that are available. The first approximately five minutes are good sync, then a scene has been added that's not related to the subs. Then later on the subs agree with the video but way off sync, which makes the rest of the movie way off. I've downloaded the instruction for use of the editing procedure and it looks like this movie could be corrected. But I'm going to pass on doing it in the near future. You've been a big help. Thanks very much.

holti_surfer

Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:43 am

If you have films from TV, they may have cut scenes of violence or sex. you find the cuts on the (german based) site "schnittberichte.com"
I use to insert a "**" marker in the .srt-file at the times, where scenes are cut.

montel

Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:03 pm

Interesting. Thanks, I'll look into this.

jivan28

Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:47 pm

One of the things I usually do is use mediainfo to find out as much detail as I can about the media file. Thankfully, haven't come across any censorship in the movies so far otherwise that would have been a major bummer. Many a times it's just a frame-rate issue which subtitle edit can do easily. The real issue is when there are synchronization issues, for e.g. see viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17228 that is and can be real pain in the ass.

montel

Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:37 am

Thank for the input. I haven't had the trouble you mention. It's only been that some caption are early or late, and I'm finding I can adjust the whole srt file a few seconds early or late. I trial/error until it looks good.

Return to “General talk”