Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
Trilandian

‏ showing in subtitles

Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:38 am

Hi,

I don't know if this is the correct place to ask about this.
There is a unicode character (‏) that's put into subtitle files to indicate to the subtitle filter that the text is right-to-left. However, DirectVobSub (and I also tried in VLC) simply shows the ‏ as part of the subtitles as if it's text instead of decoding it (i.e. "‏word word word" instead of "word word word") .
Does anyone know how to fix this? Is there a different subtitle filter I should be using?

Thanks.

Edit: I've since been able to fix the problem. It appears the subtitle files were just not encoded properly. I've been able to fix them with a program called Subtitle Edit by removing the ‏ tags and reencoding the subtitles as RTL.

scooby007
Site Admin

Re: ‏ showing in subtitles

Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:11 pm

Hi,

Glad that you were able to fix it. Certain issues like that are normally caused when changing the encoding, as you saw. In my past experience, it was usually from SSA to .srt formats as well when not using the correct tools such as Subtitle Edit, etc.

Return to “General talk”