Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
NikDante

My first upload, is it OK?

Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:18 pm

Hi all, I've just uploaded my first sub and wondered if someone could have a look and let me know if the upload is OK.

EDIT: I found out about FPS and put that it.

I didn't put a name in the 'translator' box as I was unsure. Hope this isn't an insult to the original translator. I mentioned Hunnenkoenig in my comment, thanks to them for the Spanish.

I made this as there wasn't an English sub for s04e04 of El Ministerio del Tiempo. Initially I used google translate then I cleaned it up manually, for a friend who would not understand when google translate renders 'encantada' as 'haunted' :). And some other things which just don't translate literally. So I don't know if that makes me the 'translator'.

I think it's OK, please let me know any suggestions for improvement. I might go back and translate the French but that wouldn't be soon.

It's "El ministerio del tiempo" La memoria del tiempo (2020) S04E04 and it's here:
https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/subtit ... -tiempo-en

Thanks, Nik.

NikDante

Re: My first upload, is it OK?

Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:36 am

Well I've had a few downloads and a positive comment so I assume it works. I've just put s04e05 up as well.

scooby007
Site Admin

Re: My first upload, is it OK?

Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:58 pm

Hello,

I can't give an accurate assessment, as I couldn't find a video file to watch and check. But in parts it does look like a google translation. And if it is, the "machine translation" check box should have been checked upon upload. If it is a machine translation, please use the following method and correct the info: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2595
As it's your subtitle and not another user, you should be able to change after clicking on "Edit".

A few examples I saw with the naked-eye:

00:01:15,880 --> 00:01:18,480
- You really don't want to go back
to the Ministry?

Should be:

00:01:15,880 --> 00:01:18,480
You really don't want to go back
to the Ministry?

The above seems like its a sentence from one character and not between two conversing with each other, so the hyphen isn't needed. Hyphen is to separate speech between two characters/actors. There are many examples of the above scenario.
Sometimes there isn't even a period (.) at the end of a sentence.

Example 2:

00:06:57,960 --> 00:06:59,680
Salvador, wants to see us.

Should be:

00:06:57,960 --> 00:06:59,680
Salvador wants to see us.

A comma after a name isn't needed. A comma after a name on that sentence would only be needed if somebody was addressing Salvador.
So, if we were talking, I would say: "NikDante, you fancy going to the shop?" That sentence would be different if I was talking about you.
Like: "NikDante went to the shop."

Notice the comma in the first speech and no comma in the second. Wrongly placed grammar changes the meaning of the sentence. If a deaf person was relying on that text, he would think someone is talking to Salvador rather than about him.

I hope that wasn't too critical. You did ask, right? :D
So I don't know if that makes me the 'translator'.
No. If you're the uploader for your own work, then that box is to be left empty. If you are uploading a subtitle that was a hand-transcript by someone else, then you add that persons name in there. A subtitle that was created by Google translate doesn't count. Only hand-transcripts written to a verbatim standard.

Hope that helps.

Return to “General talk”